E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Best OBD2 scan tool under $100?

04-03-2014, 12:55 PM   #23
Crusader
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M-sport

I'm going to try ELM327 mini with dashcontrol app to start. Cheap and maybe enough. If the wifi transmitter proves worthwhile, I may opt for laptop software pckg later.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 09:44 AM   #24
Whateva
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [10.00]
Has anyone ever used the Lemur OBDII app and bluetooth scanner? The app looks cool on my iPhone, but unclear if it's worth 99 bucks.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 12:20 AM   #25
BillyG
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi

Lightbulb Get a cheap one

Before focusing on a particular brand of an OBDII tool, I suggest addressing two important considerations.
The first consideration is whether to buy an advanced tool with bells and whistles or a cheap one. When I bought my first OBD II tool, I opted for a more advance Acton model (Actron CP9580A). It had a pretty long list of features, a bigger screen and more buttons (I mean, you gotta have more buttons, right?!). Personally, I was hooked by the manufacturer's claim to actually diagnose fault codes, not just read them off. The reality, however, was that it simply displayed a long list of possible causes on the screen, and it was up to me to figure out which one was real. For some more generic fault codes, the list was more than a dozen items long, and covered pretty much the entire exhaust system. Time and again, I ended up simply reading the fault codes and typing them into Google. Each make and model has its own set of common known problems, and the online community frequently pointed me to the right cause. Was that cause listed in the fancy tool? Maybe, but by that point I didn't really care. Gladly, I was able to return the tool for a refund, bought a more basic model of Actron (CP9575) and lived happily ever after.
The second point to address is whether you want access only to the exhaust system fault codes (this is what OBD II does) or to all BMW fault codes (this is the domain of the specialized BMW scan tool or an aftermarket equivalent). A typical BMW probably has hundreds of sensors, and there is more clearly to a car than the exhaust system. This is why anyone doing their own maintenance should really consider getting some version of a BMW scan tool. It connects to the same port as an OBD II tool, but reads data from sensors ranging from valvetronic motor to a side mirror heating element. There are a few options available: one from INPA, another from either eBay or Amazon (can't remember), yet another from Bavarian Technic. There is plenty of opinionated online discussion on which one is better, and I would rather not get into this. I'll just say I've got the BavAuto unit. It's a specialty cable that connects to a USB port on a PC. The accompanying software seems pretty cool. Besides reading most BMW fault codes, it is capable of resetting faults, gathering real-time operating statistics, actually turning on many subsystems of the car, such as break fluid pump, which may (or may not) come in handy during a brake fluid flush. The professional version allows to do coding. There is more info at http://www.bavariantechnic.com/.
At this point, I own both and OBD II and a specialty tool, and I feel this is the best way to go. I would rather do a quick check of a check engine light with an Actron than take my laptop to the car and fire up the software. The choice of which to use boils down to a general question of a specialty tool vs. a universal tool. As an added bonus, I can help my friends who own other makes to diagnose their vehicles.
PS. A disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with any vendors; I'm just a BMW owner who's trying to be helpful by sharing my limited personal experience with specific equipment I own.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 12:19 PM   #26
lazayas
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyG View Post
Before focusing on a particular brand of an OBDII tool, I suggest addressing two important considerations.
The first consideration is whether to buy an advanced tool with bells and whistles or a cheap one. When I bought my first OBD II tool, I opted for a more advance Acton model (Actron CP9580A). It had a pretty long list of features, a bigger screen and more buttons (I mean, you gotta have more buttons, right?!). Personally, I was hooked by the manufacturer's claim to actually diagnose fault codes, not just read them off. The reality, however, was that it simply displayed a long list of possible causes on the screen, and it was up to me to figure out which one was real. For some more generic fault codes, the list was more than a dozen items long, and covered pretty much the entire exhaust system. Time and again, I ended up simply reading the fault codes and typing them into Google. Each make and model has its own set of common known problems, and the online community frequently pointed me to the right cause. Was that cause listed in the fancy tool? Maybe, but by that point I didn't really care. Gladly, I was able to return the tool for a refund, bought a more basic model of Actron (CP9575) and lived happily ever after.
The second point to address is whether you want access only to the exhaust system fault codes (this is what OBD II does) or to all BMW fault codes (this is the domain of the specialized BMW scan tool or an aftermarket equivalent). A typical BMW probably has hundreds of sensors, and there is more clearly to a car than the exhaust system. This is why anyone doing their own maintenance should really consider getting some version of a BMW scan tool. It connects to the same port as an OBD II tool, but reads data from sensors ranging from valvetronic motor to a side mirror heating element. There are a few options available: one from INPA, another from either eBay or Amazon (can't remember), yet another from Bavarian Technic. There is plenty of opinionated online discussion on which one is better, and I would rather not get into this. I'll just say I've got the BavAuto unit. It's a specialty cable that connects to a USB port on a PC. The accompanying software seems pretty cool. Besides reading most BMW fault codes, it is capable of resetting faults, gathering real-time operating statistics, actually turning on many subsystems of the car, such as break fluid pump, which may (or may not) come in handy during a brake fluid flush. The professional version allows to do coding. There is more info at http://www.bavariantechnic.com/.
At this point, I own both and OBD II and a specialty tool, and I feel this is the best way to go. I would rather do a quick check of a check engine light with an Actron than take my laptop to the car and fire up the software. The choice of which to use boils down to a general question of a specialty tool vs. a universal tool. As an added bonus, I can help my friends who own other makes to diagnose their vehicles.
PS. A disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with any vendors; I'm just a BMW owner who's trying to be helpful by sharing my limited personal experience with specific equipment I own.
Thanks for this info..., yesterday when i came home from work the abs, brake and track light shows up for a second then go off, a few minutes the lights comes on again. i brought a c110 scanner on ebay today. lets see if they work and told me the real problem.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 05:24 AM   #27
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

The ACTON tools I recommend are stand-alone tools, no PC needed.

Just to address Billy G's comments. OBDII is a standardized on-board diagnostics system mandated by the DOT/EPA. It does not just cover the "exhaust system". OBDII is a diagnostics system that monitors the entire combustion process from intake to exhaust. Since emissions are regulated down to the point of cold engine emissions, the OBDII system monitors functions like engine warm up, so parts in the cooling system such as temperature sensors and thermostats are monitored by the OBDII system. OBDII is not an end-all tool for solving abnormalities as poor operation of several suspect parts can cause the same trouble codes to appear. It still takes some investigation work to pinpoint what part has failed.

Billy G. does give good advice regarding using both an OBDII scan tool and a manufacturer-specific scan tool.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 05:39 PM   #28
S.TX
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

I know this is old, but did the C110 work for you? I have the Yellow trifecta and just ordered the C110 scan tool from Amazon. I'm pretty weary that it won't work for my car even though it's supposed to.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 04:25 PM   #29
Dj SappysaPP
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Xdrive sedan

Can a Actron pocket scan tool also clear airbag/seat belt light?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 10:50 AM   #30
Pittsburger
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 328xi, 2006 330xi, 2011x3

Just reviving an old thread. I'd like a OBD2 to bluetooth scan tool that permanently stays on my 2006 E90 from which I can casually check for any codes... would Torque with a cheap interface be a good idea? A friend of mine gave me his "Automatic Silver" obd2 - I'm going to see if it works with Torque.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 10:54 AM   #31
bimmerzeit
Private
Rep
Drives: E28, E39, E90

In this video I discuss some of the affordable OBD-II scan tool options and their limitations. I'm using a Creator C310+ now which does almost everything you could need.

The best setup will be INPA or ISTA software with a cable and PC laptop, as you can truly do everything such as coding and clearing adaptations.

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 05:28 PM   #32
Soravia
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 Silver xDrive 6MT

I bought this one. $130. But there is $80 version as well.
AUTOPHIX BMW Diagnostic Scanner Tool ,Enhanced BMW 7910 Multi-System OBD2 Scanner Auto Fault Code Reader with Battery Registration for All BMW After 1998
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RTJYLQ8/

$80
https://smile.amazon.com/Scanner-AUT...dp/B07CZB2MWL/

Not only scans stuff and tells you which part the code is at, it also reads maintenance codes for engine, etc. How many oil changes done, was the transmission serviced? Transfer case reset? (after motor screw replacement) Steering recalibrate after clockspring replacement for heated steering upgrade, etc.

The device software itself can be updated for newer BMW G series, etc. I just updated it and got new functions for E9x!
Appreciate 0