E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Tools were stolen. I need to buy a replacement set. Help?

08-18-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
Jonjt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i M-sport

Tools were stolen. I need to buy a replacement set. Help?

So, about 1000 dollars of Craftsman tools seem to have been stolen from the living room of the house I'm renting a room in. I'm going to file a police report and try to get insurance to cover it. Hopefully, they will come through.

In the mean time, I need to find a replacement set. I was thinking of picking up one of those Craftsman mechanics tool kits but, the quality of Craftsman tools isn't be best so, I don't want to go purchasing a bunch of their products without researching first. So, can someone make a recommendation for a good tool kit for working on a German import? I don't want to spend any more than 600 dollars for this general set of tools.

Thanks, guys.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 04:36 PM   #2
.b0link
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 LMB 135i

Craftsman.

Who cares if the quality isn't *as* good as MAC or Snap-On.

If it breaks, take it to sears and get a new one for free. Without spending significantly more Craftsman is the best you will get.
      08-18-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
Jonjt
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by .b0link View Post
Craftsman.

Who cares if the quality isn't *as* good as MAC or Snap-On.

If it breaks, take it to sears and get a new one for free. Without spending significantly more Craftsman is the best you will get.
Right. However, some Craftsman tools are significantly worse than others. For example, the screw drivers absolutely suck. So, I was looking for a set that has more of the better Craftsman tools and, less of the worse. There are sooooo many tool sets on sears.com that, I didn't want to just pull the trigger without consulting you guys first.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 04:46 PM   #4
khaye1
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 18 AW F80

^ this...unless you make a living with your tools, you wouldn't need anything else

Edit: directed towards .b0link's comment
      08-18-2012, 04:53 PM   #5
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaye1 View Post
^ this...unless you make a living with your tools, you wouldn't need anything else

Edit: directed towards .b0link's comment
Then you should just buy harbor freight stuff, its 1/5th the price and they have an even better return policy than craftsman on tools like wrenches and sockets.

Not to mention I've never busted a HF socket, but I've busted tons of craftsman ones.
      08-18-2012, 05:07 PM   #6
Jonjt
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
Then you should just buy harbor freight stuff, its 1/5th the price and they have an even better return policy than craftsman on tools like wrenches and sockets.

Not to mention I've never busted a HF socket, but I've busted tons of craftsman ones.
O god, the HF cast tools I've used have been so absolutely terrible. I'll be sticking to Craftsman.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 05:15 PM   #7
BabyrayS2k
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan Sport Package

If you are going cheap Stanley is cheap and I have had good luck with them.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 05:16 PM   #8
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonjt View Post
O god, the HF cast tools I've used have been so absolutely terrible. I'll be sticking to Craftsman.
Not to mention you can roll into any of the many Sears and walk out with a brand new replacement in a minute. While doing construction in Manhattan years ago we would send an apprentice around the jobsite to collect broken screwdrivers and what not from the crew of many men. He would go to Sears and hand off 20-30 broken tools(who died leading very hard lives I might add) and handed new ones w/o even a complaint or word from Sears. Craftsman all the way.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 05:21 PM   #9
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonjt View Post
I'm not sure which you're talking about, but the majority are much better then CM, best guess is either a torx bit or maybe a hex bit?

I use tools a lot, I work on cars and have a shop and it's a long standing argument, so we've measured them. Their sockets and wrenches have the same or better tolerance then craftsman (and are more durable).

Their gray composite ratchets are way better then CM, with very fine tooth action, and have yet to break one (I like them more then even snap on). Their green extendable 1/2 inch is also probably the best tool I've ever purchased, extends to break things loose then retracts for quick removal.

Things to steer clear of are their hex and torx socket bits, the tolerances are poor, and the torx bits are liable to snap. The inverted torx sockets are still great. Their wobble extensions suck as do their universal joints.

You just have to use your head and evaluate the tools.

And of course, most of their moving parts type stuff is pretty unreliable, but when its 1/10th of a "good" brand, you can afford to buy a few replacements.
      08-18-2012, 05:21 PM   #10
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
Not to mention you can roll into any of the many Sears and walk out with a brand new replacement in a minute. While doing construction in Manhattan years ago we would send an apprentice around the jobsite to collect broken screwdrivers and what not from the crew of many men. He would go to Sears and hand off 20-30 broken tools(who died leading very hard lives I might add) and handed new ones w/o even a complaint or word from Sears. Craftsman all the way.
You can do that in HF too actually, I find it harder at sears, and have had to do it far more times there then HF believe it or not.
      08-18-2012, 05:56 PM   #11
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

I never had anyone at Sears say one word to me about swapping out old for new in the many times over the years I've done it. Whatever works for you though.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 06:29 PM   #12
khaye1
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 18 AW F80

Quote:

Didn't know we were bringing Harbor Freight to the mix...I'm all for HF. I just got a 1.5 ton low profile aluminum jack for $59 and a set of 3 ton jack stand for $15. Even the wife goes "I love this place, they cool stuff for CHEAP!"
      08-18-2012, 08:45 PM   #13
Jonjt
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm not sure which you're talking about, but the majority are much better then CM, best guess is either a torx bit or maybe a hex bit?

I use tools a lot, I work on cars and have a shop and it's a long standing argument, so we've measured them. Their sockets and wrenches have the same or better tolerance then craftsman (and are more durable).

Their gray composite ratchets are way better then CM, with very fine tooth action, and have yet to break one (I like them more then even snap on). Their green extendable 1/2 inch is also probably the best tool I've ever purchased, extends to break things loose then retracts for quick removal.

Things to steer clear of are their hex and torx socket bits, the tolerances are poor, and the torx bits are liable to snap. The inverted torx sockets are still great. Their wobble extensions suck as do their universal joints.

You just have to use your head and evaluate the tools.

And of course, most of their moving parts type stuff is pretty unreliable, but when its 1/10th of a "good" brand, you can afford to buy a few replacements.
I'm speaking mostly of thier hex, torx, extensions and universal joints so, you're familiar with the problems with those tools. I've also had bad luck with some of their cast specialty tools (like seal pullers, for example).

Edit: I have one of their transmission jacks and a regular floor jack and, those "heavy" cast tools have worked just fine, for the last few years.
Also, does HF allow you to calibrate torque wrenches for free? Not that I'm considering buying an HF torque wrench but, I'm pretty sure Craftsman does allow you to do so.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 09:50 PM   #14
DSB335d
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335d DSB/oyster&black/navi

An alternative to sears or harbor freight would be Kobalt you can get them at any lowes and they also have a lifetime warranty.
I used to be a tech and I have broken probably 10 MAC ratchets... In my area there are not many MAC distributors so it's kind of a pain to get stuff replaced
Snap on is good too I have some of their stuff also. There is a snap on distributor everywhere!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 01:07 AM   #15
BBBluey
Major
Rep
Drives: very slow and courteous

I'm all for Craftsman. But wait until they have a sale...sometimes they hit 30-50% off.
You should consider looking into garage sales and estate sales too. A friend of mine scored a shit load (in the thousands) for $300...lucky bastard. But you could be that lucky as well.
Appreciate 0