E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Whats the real deal with the tail lights?

06-17-2012, 10:37 PM   #1
F3thirty5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 335 XI Coupe

Whats the real deal with the tail lights?

I have a 2008 E92 (335XI Coupe). I think the tail lights on the 2011's are pretty cool. I did some reading here on the forum, and I still can't figure out if a kit exists for my car that doesn't require coding? I looked at the Kit that is for sale at **********s and EAS. The kits look like they are "plug and play"?
EAS says coding is necessary?

Can anyone tell me what the story is with these lights? Are there other vendors that sell em? Thanks in advance...!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 10:39 PM   #2
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi

coding is necessary because LEDs draw less power than halogen bulbs, and our cars will throw errors, hyper flash, and the tails all in all will not function properly. No kit exists that let's this work without coding.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
robert @ eas
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone157 View Post
coding is necessary because LEDs draw less power than halogen bulbs, and our cars will throw errors, hyper flash, and the tails all in all will not function properly. No kit exists that let's this work without coding.
Coding is required for the LCI Tail Light Upgrade kits. They are plug and play because you do not have to splice wires to wire the LCI Tail Lights to your Pre-LCI kit.

If you have any further questions feel free to contact me!

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 09:56 PM   #4
F3thirty5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, do you happen to know with coding if the tails will work properly?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 09:58 PM   #5
F3thirty5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert @ eas View Post
Coding is required for the LCI Tail Light Upgrade kits. They are plug and play because you do not have to splice wires to wire the LCI Tail Lights to your Pre-LCI kit.

If you have any further questions feel free to contact me!
Thanks! Do you have clients that have purchased the kit and with the proper coding have had success using these tails? I guess what i am asking is if the proper coding is completed, will the lights work properly?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 10:33 PM   #6
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramp View Post
Thanks, do you happen to know with coding if the tails will work properly?
Yes, with coding, the tails will definitely work properly! That's the thing with coding, it's not like splicing in capacitors, adding "error-cancelling" hardware (resistors in a pretty package), where some cars might not take to it because they're especially sensitive. Coding just...works. All the time. If it doesn't, it's because the coding was done improperly. Anyone who's ever purchased the kit has undergone coding (or an upgraded footwell module and...more coding) and it's worked.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 11:42 AM   #7
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Yes, with coding, the tails will definitely work properly! That's the thing with coding, it's not like splicing in capacitors, adding "error-cancelling" hardware (resistors in a pretty package), where some cars might not take to it because they're especially sensitive. Coding just...works. All the time. If it doesn't, it's because the coding was done improperly. Anyone who's ever purchased the kit has undergone coding (or an upgraded footwell module and...more coding) and it's worked.
Purchasing a FRM3 would still require coding. The current FRM1 & FRM2s are perfectly fine and do not require replacement.

There are a number of autologic-equipped shops in the NY area that can perform coding for you, we'll be happy to assist in locating one once your order is placed.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0