E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Sonic Tuning S3 Coilover the good and bad.

08-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
xplicitstylez
ThreeThrityFLY
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 330i

Sonic Tuning S3 Coilover the good and bad.

Hey forum members, I purchased sonic tuning s3 coilovers in april and installed them in april. These coilovers were performing wonderful for a month or two. Then I started to hear a clunking noise from the trunk, I thought it was all the junk I had laying in the trunk. Then one day I was doing some spirited driving in the city, and The clunking was unbearably loud. I thought the rear end was falling apart. Took it to a local shop and he said how all the bushings were ripped and the strut went straight through underneath the car. I paid to replaced all the bushings, from BMW, then about a month later, the stupid noise came back. I was getting really upset. I then took apart the suspension myself, and realized that the washer provided by Sonic Tuning was smaller than the Bushing itself, and was tearing up my bushings. So then for a second time I had to replace all the bushing but did not use the provided washer, started to modify the Oem bushing and the noise went away.

Going back to when the strut went underneath the car, I noticed this BIG metal washer type thing, which was originally welded on the frame of the car was broken off cause of the torn up washers. I do not have a pic of this but hopefully someone knows what im talking about. I had to weld that big metal washer piece back on. I have pics of what I welded.

To the sonic tuning distributors, please stop providing small washers, look into this and provide bigger washers. Pics are below to describe what im talking about.

click this link to see parts, which i will describe below http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...63&hg=33&fg=45

Picture 1: The washer on top the bushing, part number (33506771737), as you can see is significantly smaller

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Picture 2: The rip which is perfectly around the washer

Picture 3: My fix, which i cut off a tab on the original oem bushing, Part number (33506771737) so that the nut that goes on the sonic tuning shock can fit securely.

Picture 4: What I welded, the part I welded is the where the bushing, Part number (33506771737) Sits on top of.

08-22-2013, 01:48 PM   #2
jose_sonictuning
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Thanks for the your feedback, I will make a note of it and pass it to our R&D.

For the rear strut, there should be a washer on the bottom and on the top use the OE bushing and another washer to lock the strut in place.

I will send you another PM to see if you need any other replacement parts.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
xplicitstylez
ThreeThrityFLY
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 330i

there was two washer provided. on the bottom i ended up using the OEM part 33526764418, which is the supporting cup and on the top i used the oem part 33506771737. Both those washer ripped my bushings apart.