E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Wavetrac Install into welded diff - pics and info

11-30-2014, 10:25 PM   #1
Techevo
Evo Junkie
Rep
Drives: E91 325D M-Sport, Evo 6

Wavetrac Install into welded diff - pics and info

Ok, for the benefit of others who want to fit their own LSD, and for the interest of anyone else, here are a few pics and details of the install of a Wavetrac into the my E91, which has a welded crownwheel as standard.

Firstly, removed the rear underbraces and exhaust heatshield to get access to the diff and propshaft rear bolts;

Unbolt propshaft and halfshafts, marking the position so to bolt back up in the same place (good practice)

Unbolt the 2 front mounts and one rear, then lower diff off the car and onto the bench;

I put the diff in my adjustable vice to allow decent access to strip;

Remove half shafts by tapping out or using a slide hammer attached to the flange;

Remove rear cover to access diff unit;

I then checked the backlash to give me an indication of where it was now in case I wanted to adjust on rebuild. Found to be 0.118mm, within the standard rebuild spec of 0.06mm-0.14mm.

I removed the stubshaft seals and discarded (will fit new ones), then removed the circlip bearing shims and bearings, marked up for correct re-fitment;

Leaving the diff unit with inner races attached;

Removed the diff unit leaving just the pinion in place;

And the diff on the bench next to the new wavetrac unit;

Press off the inner races and mark-up L/R for correct re-install. Also inspect races for any damage (pitting or dents)

I then measured up the new Wavetrac unit and the old standard unit to see how close there were in dimensions, 12 microns difference on one side;

And 1 micron on the other stub, pretty good;

The next measurement to be taken is the most critical, the ‘height’ of the crownwheel. To do this I manufactured a sleeve with ground ends which sat on the face where the inner bearing race sits, as the dimension from this face to the tip of the crownwheel teeth must be the same on the new diff to keep the meshing and backlash the same.

The diff unit with this sleeve attached was then sat on a Grade A granite surface table to enable the height to be referenced and then slip gauges made up to mirror the exact dimension measured. This would then be the reference height when installing the crownwheel onto the Wavetrac.

Measuring the crownwheel tip (a small flat area at the inner most part of the teeth tip) in multiple areas to ensure everything is flat;

Height gauges made up to the exact height measured, now, even if the DTI moves, I have a reference height to use.;

Now that I had the exact original height, the next stage was to machine off the crownwheel;

A carbide tip was used at first to machine away the cast iron housing, then onto a ceramic tip for the welded area and case hardened (around 60HRC) crownwheel;

You can see the transition between the weld and the diff housing on this photo;

Now through the weld;

A video of machining through the weld;

Removed the old crownwheel by pressing off, leaving two parts;

Next was to grind away the machined lip to leave a flat finish to fit to the new wavetrac, and measure the height to work out exactly how much material to remove. Once this was done, a calculation showed 3.35mm needed to be machined off. Most of this removed back on the lathe, then onto the grinder for a precision finish.

Firstly, clocking up the crownwheel on the lathe to make sure it is running true before removing 3mm of material;

Then, back onto the grinder for a small clean-up;

Old and new unit;

Next, set-up the CNC to drill and tap the back of the crownwheel, PCD of 153mm x 10 holes, 12x1.25mm pitch, 14mm deep;

Next, I bolted the crownwheel to the wavetrac, measured the height to enable a final skim to the correct dimension;

Final skimming!;

After this, back to the workshop to re-assemble, pressing on the inner races;

Bolting on the crownwheel (100lbs/ft and high strength Loctite);

Re-fit into the diff housing with the original bearings;

And finally, re-check the backlash, perfect, 0.113mm, just 5 microns difference to original figure;

Next, out with the pneumatic sealant gun and button up the casing;

Lastly, refit the new seals, stub shafts, fill with nice Millers CRX 75w90 NT oil and refit the diff;

Ohlins DFV with 400/800 Swifts // M3 arms and bushes // H&R anti-roll bars // Modified top mounts allowing -1.5 deg front camber // 19" MORR VS8.2 // 235/265 Pilot Super Sports // Wavetrac // Evolve remap.

Last edited by Techevo; 01-30-2015 at 03:44 PM..
Appreciate 6
DSB335d1321.50
feuer4275.50
      11-30-2014, 10:51 PM   #2
TrAcK TRaP
bOrN To DiE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

wowww! what an amazing work...
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 03:52 AM   #3
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
Damn Clive. Sick work man!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 06:33 AM   #4
2deerwhistlers
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335d

Nice work! Nice write up! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 06:49 AM   #5
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
I am just going to clear off my garage workbench and get right on it.
Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 02:35 PM   #6
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M240i LCI

That's awesome work and very brave if you to do it. Well done and enjoy your new LSD. I have the quaife and love it
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 02:53 PM   #7
joe_planet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

you are HUUUUUGEEEE!!!!

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 06:08 PM   #8
TorqueAddict
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340i - 335D

wow!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 07:37 PM   #9
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

This is why I'll pay people like you to do it, lol.
      12-02-2014, 07:34 AM   #10
335D Alpha Pappa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecker335d View Post
+1

Nice to have access to a machine shop
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 03:50 PM   #11
Techevo
Evo Junkie
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54CherryHill View Post
wowww! what an amazing work...
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekboyD View Post
Damn Clive. Sick work man!
Cheers John, all in a day's work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2deerwhistlers View Post
Nice work! Nice write up! Thanks!
No worries, hope it helps others who want to try this mod themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodem View Post
I am just going to clear off my garage workbench and get right on it.
why not my man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si-335d View Post
That's awesome work and very brave if you to do it. Well done and enjoy your new LSD. I have the quaife and love it
Not really brave TBH, I'm an engineer by trade and build Hi-spec Evo and R35 GTR transmissions normally. Really loving the E91 after fitting the Wavetrac, the last piece of the puzzle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_planet View Post
you are HUUUUUGEEEE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueAddict View Post
wow!
Cheers!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecker335d View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335D Alpha Pappa View Post
+1

Nice to have access to a machine shop
Yep, I couldn't have done it without access to my mates shop. I have a small mill and surface grinder in my workshop, but not big enough for this job.
Ohlins DFV with 400/800 Swifts // M3 arms and bushes // H&R anti-roll bars // Modified top mounts allowing -1.5 deg front camber // 19" MORR VS8.2 // 235/265 Pilot Super Sports // Wavetrac // Evolve remap.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 04:59 PM   #12
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Firstly, I'm hugely impressed with your work. My father would be right there with you in precision work such as this. He was a journeyman machinist for Bell Helicopter.
I noticed you didn't go back with welding ring (you called it crown wheel) back onto wave track. Any particular reason you did this? I can appreciate the precision of locating the holes for drilling and tapping. Perhaps you didn't have equipment for welding back and most importantly ensuring that the weld doesn't cause a out of parallel interface from improper fixturing during weld.
Good show, mate.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 02:19 PM   #13
Crawler
Private
Rep

Choices...

Awesome work. Knowledge, motivation and patience are more valuable than any tool. You have them all I see.

If you don't mind me asking, why did you choose the Wavetrac over the Quaife unit. I'm paying someone to do mine in the not too distant future and am interested in your thoughts given your engineering background.

Cheers,

J
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 04:01 PM   #14
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Another question: I see that you tapped for RH threads (based upon direction i see torque wrench being applied in one of the last photos). I don't claim to know which hand of thread is best for this differential but was the hand of thread researched?

Background is my brother was working on Chrysler 8-3/4" rear end and broke off bolts on the ring gear (as they are left handed) and he was trying to "loosen" them turning counter clockwise. Granted, Chrysler is a little different than everyone else. Before 1970, lug nuts on Mopar was LH on drivers side and RH on passenger side. I know a diff has nothing to do with the lug nuts.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 11:01 AM   #15
Techevo
Evo Junkie
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
Firstly, I'm hugely impressed with your work. My father would be right there with you in precision work such as this. He was a journeyman machinist for Bell Helicopter.
I noticed you didn't go back with welding ring (you called it crown wheel) back onto wave track. Any particular reason you did this? I can appreciate the precision of locating the holes for drilling and tapping. Perhaps you didn't have equipment for welding back and most importantly ensuring that the weld doesn't cause a out of parallel interface from improper fixturing during weld.
Good show, mate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
Another question: I see that you tapped for RH threads (based upon direction i see torque wrench being applied in one of the last photos). I don't claim to know which hand of thread is best for this differential but was the hand of thread researched?

Background is my brother was working on Chrysler 8-3/4" rear end and broke off bolts on the ring gear (as they are left handed) and he was trying to "loosen" them turning counter clockwise. Granted, Chrysler is a little different than everyone else. Before 1970, lug nuts on Mopar was LH on drivers side and RH on passenger side. I know a diff has nothing to do with the lug nuts.
Nice one, I bet I’d get on with your father like a house on fire, I love talking to guys who have had a career in what I’d call ‘proper engineering’ lol. An awesome job IMO, and something that is dying out in this day and age, proper hands on skills and experience.

I didn’t weld the ring onto the LSD as the Wavetrac is specifically designed for a bolt-on item. Welding would damage the material properties of the casing, and also the problem with distortion, as you mentioned. Some of the BMW diffs have bolted rings, some welded, I guess due to the lower costs of welding.

I used normal R/H threaded bolts as I have plenty of these ‘in stock’ from the Mitsubishi Evo transmission builds that I carry out, and I know they can cope with anything I throw at them (over 1000+ bhp in some drag Evo boxes I have built)

As they are fine thread and locked in with loctite, as well as the forces on them being a shear load, not a torque load (on the actual bolt itself) a L or R thread makes no difference. The standard BMW bolted diff also uses R/H threaded bolts, probably more to do with cost than anything.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 11:07 AM   #16
Techevo
Evo Junkie
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawler View Post
Awesome work. Knowledge, motivation and patience are more valuable than any tool. You have them all I see.

If you don't mind me asking, why did you choose the Wavetrac over the Quaife unit. I'm paying someone to do mine in the not too distant future and am interested in your thoughts given your engineering background.

Cheers,

J
I chose the Wavetrac due to it still working in a zero grip environment, ie on ice or snow, and also if one wheel is lifted.

The roads I drive/have driven have caused individual wheels to come off the ground, due to the lower suspension droop with my set-up, Ohlins coilovers and a big rear anti-roll bar.

The Quaife is an excellent diff, but for me, the Wavetrac works in all enviroments and set-ups, where-as the Quaife doesn’t.

I’ve used both pure helical and Wavetrac diffs in many other cars I’ve owned/built/driven on road and track, so made the decision from lots of experience.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 10:12 AM   #17
Crawler
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techevo View Post
I chose the Wavetrac due to it still working in a zero grip environment, ie on ice or snow, and also if one wheel is lifted.

The roads I drive/have driven have caused individual wheels to come off the ground, due to the lower suspension droop with my set-up, Ohlins coilovers and a big rear anti-roll bar.

The Quaife is an excellent diff, but for me, the Wavetrac works in all enviroments and set-ups, where-as the Quaife doesn’t.

I’ve used both pure helical and Wavetrac diffs in many other cars I’ve owned/built/driven on road and track, so made the decision from lots of experience.
Thank you for your input. Have you noted any sounds produced by the Wavetrac units?

Cheers,

J
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 06:24 PM   #18
Techevo
Evo Junkie
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawler View Post
Thank you for your input. Have you noted any sounds produced by the Wavetrac units?

Cheers,

J
No, it's completely quiet, no difference to stock, except loads of extra traction!

I think a lot of people who get noises after LSD fitment are due to poor install, where specs such as backlash are too big on re-assembly.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 09:20 AM   #19
Crawler
Private
Rep

Thank you.

I live an hour from Wavetrac and am looking for a SoCal shop to do the work.

J
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2014, 08:21 PM   #20
Seattlesquash
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 2007 SC

Garage List
Holy shit you are my new hero - wow!!!

So impressive!

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 04:15 PM   #21
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Wow Clive amazing work! You finally got the time to do this!

Guys, i have met Clive and he is a wonderful guy and very clever! His workshop at home is amazing.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 04:38 PM   #22
Techevo
Evo Junkie
Rep

Thanks Mo, yes, got some spare time eventually to get it fitted! Car is absolutely spot on now, really great fun to drive. How's yours going?
Appreciate 0