E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Vishnu lpfp

10-01-2013, 08:18 PM   #23
07tundra
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 8.1L Chevy 2500hd

[QUOTE=Wedge1967;14747560]It's more because you're able to stack a 455 with your stock using a machined head to allow for inline installation. So you have the cost of the pump, the lines and fittings, and a custom machined head.

Trust me, it's a nice setup. I've seen both solutions and ultimately it's up to you to decide on which solution you use. The FFTEC/Vishnu solution is a great solution and it works, but so does the other inline solution. Not sure if it matches flow and most important volume surge. Not something I'm interested in testing...

To me, spending the extra money for a fueling solution make sense. I think it's more important than DPs or FMIC.[/QU

So this solution is good enough to run rbs on 100% e85 and if you wanted to 100% of the time?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 09:00 PM   #24
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07tundra View Post
So this solution is good enough to run RBs on 100% e85 and if you wanted to 100% of the time?
I think it's supporting well over 600 whp on ST, so I would assume it would stand up to RBs with e85. But that would be more of a @Shiv@Vishnu question...
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 08:33 AM   #25
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge1967 View Post
I think it's supporting well over 600 whp on ST, so I would assume it would stand up to RBs with e85. But that would be more of a @Shiv@Vishnu question...
The issue with any upgraded stock frame turbo is the lower RPM fueling issues because of the HPFP unless I am mistaken...
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 08:53 AM   #26
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
The issue with any upgraded stock frame turbo is the lower RPM fueling issues because of the HPFP unless I am mistaken...
In my experience as the fuel demand increases, at peak demand, normally post shift, the LPFP cannot keep up with the volume demand causing a pressure drop on the fuel rail which in turn causes a spike in AFR.

Adding the secondary inline pump doubles the pump head which increases the flow volume by 15 to 20%.

So actually there is nothing wrong with the HPFP. The stock LPFP cannot keep up with the volume of fuel required when running high % of ethanol at peak load.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 09:02 AM   #27
bmwm3redblack
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M3 E46, BMW E92 335Xi

Quote:
It's more because you're able to stack a 455 with your stock using a machined head to allow for inline installation. So you have the cost of the pump, the lines and fittings, and a custom machined head.

Trust me, it's a nice setup. I've seen both solutions and ultimately it's up to you to decide on which solution you use. The FFTEC/Vishnu solution is a great solution and it works, but so does the other inline solution. Not sure if it matches flow and most important volume surge. Not something I'm interested in testing...

To me, spending the extra money for a fueling solution make sense. I think it's more important than DPs or FMIC.

For me the most important thing is not the price but, easy install, so what do you think which setup to buy fftec or walbro455???
      10-02-2013, 10:25 PM   #28
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm3redblack View Post
For me the most important thing is not the price but, easy install, so what do you think which setup to buy fftec or walbro455???
I know a lot of people have installed the 455 as a replacement pump, but the stock pump is actually a better, more reliable pump. 455s are know to fail and fail within 6 months to a year. Two pumps actually increase the head by double and therefore increase the flow rate by 10 to 20 % over a single pump.

Some will argue that parallel is better, and yes it's true by a few %, but would require two 455s and some fabrication.

You can get by with the 255 as it's an optional low cost inline. For guys with RBs wanting to drop a secondary, I highly recommend the FFTEC solution regardless of the price. Both solutions are going to be a pain to install...

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 10:57 PM   #29
Lifted07Duramax
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW red 335i coupe

Ken I read that some people were throwing codes after installing a upgrade lpfp wether it was inline or intank and it had something to do with the fueling scaler?
You said leave regulator be right?
How about replacing stock lpfp while Im in there installing the Vishnu inline that way its new and ready to take on the task for another 80k
      10-02-2013, 11:07 PM   #30
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted07Duramax View Post
Ken I read that some people were throwing codes after installing a upgrade lpfp wether it was inline or intank and it had something to do with the fueling scaler?
How about replacing stock lpfp while Im in there installing the Vishnu inline that way its new and ready to take on the task for another 80k
Some have mentioned codes, but I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the FFTEC LPFP. I have this pump and I haven't had any issues, that is while I had it installed. Too lazy to put it back after my turbo replacement. It's a pain in the @.. Stock regulator is fine for what we're doing. Replacing the stock pump, with a new stock pump would be good idea, but not required.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 11:12 PM   #31
Lifted07Duramax
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW red 335i coupe

Quote:
Some have mentioned codes, but I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the FFTEC LPFP. I have this pump and I haven't had any issues, that is while I had it installed. Too lazy to put it back after my turbo replacement. It's a pain in the @.. Stock regulator is fine for what we're doing. Replacing the stock pump, with a new stock pump would be good idea, but not required.
Just how much of a pain in the ass is it to install the Vishnu lpfp? You didn't happen to take DIY pics did you?
      10-02-2013, 11:24 PM   #32
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just how much of a pain in the ass is it to install the Vishnu lpfp? You didn't happen to take DIY pics did you?
Well, I'm 6' 2" and I don't have little hands, so regardless of what option you go with, in my opinion its going to be a pain in the...

When you get started, make sure you use plastic to cover everything and tape it around the hole to keep gas from getting everywhere. Also make sure your tank is as empty as you can get it without running out of fuel. Which actually wouldn't be a bad idea. you need to pull the bucket and clip the retainer so you can remove the top. Put a clamp around the pump and a large clamp through that to go around the bucket to secure the walbro to the side of the bucket. Then you have to drop the pump in the hole, drop the bucket in the hole, then tighten the clamp on the bucket, hook up the hoses, wires, and put the top back on the bucket. Then close it up. Simple process, but still a pain in the... BTW, if you don't put plastic and you have lots of fuel, your car will stink of gas for days.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 11:49 PM   #33
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335I X-Drive E90

Quote:
Install is the same. Anytime you open up the tank and pull the bucket, it's a pain... as you know...
So True, the only true pain is removing the bottom fuel fitting and the power cords to the lid.

Quote:
Quote:
It's more because you're able to stack a 455 with your stock using a machined head to allow for inline installation. So you have the cost of the pump, the lines and fittings, and a custom machined head.

To me, spending the extra money for a fueling solution make sense. I think it's more important than DPs or FMIC.
So this solution is good enough to run rbs on 100% e85 and if you wanted to 100% of the time?
Its a great setup, but thats upto the buyer to determine if they like the idea of spending $500 for a custom billet housing. The walbro pump is "Retail" at only $115.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181150677061...84.m1423.l2649

If you don't want to e85 walbro pump you can do the inline setup for about the same price $115 after all the parts. The pump flows a little less, but supports 100% e85. Even with a high mileage stock pump. I have 65k on my stock pump and still have room. Without RB's i cant test the when the pump runs out of fuel lol.

The install is no different than the $600 pump. Except your manually adding fittings to the fuel lines, and soldering (or Crimping) your wires. Thats about it. Also if your worried about messing up your stock bucket, Don't. When you buy a new stock pump you get all new parts; A bucket, wires, fuel level sensor and hat.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=872811

Keep in mind that Shiv's pump will flow more and allow more HP than the inline setup and the e85 pump in the bucket, but unless your running Upgraded turbos you wont utilize that extra fuel. You could also upgrade to the e85 pump in the bucket and the inline for about $240 and outflow it all.

Or if your looking for serious HP you can run two walbro e85's in a parallel setup. No matter which pump you choose, on a stock car you'll get the same end results. 100% e85 usage (just as long as your stock pump isn't overly tired)

Keep in mind: The walbro inline pump is not an e85 pump, but people have been using it for years in other cars without issues. I've used it for over two months with 100% e85 and its still working good. Thankfully its only an $80 pump so if it fails you can change it out pretty easy. For the price of the pump replacing it every year or two would still be a great deal.

Quote:
Most cars don't have issues with codes, but some do. Its mostly n55's that seem to not be able to accept any fuel pump changes. I don't have one so i cant really comment on it other than what i've read. Most codes are usually related to an install issue, or a fluke that something went wrong right after the install. Other's get fuel mixture codes, but that only happens if you go over a certain % without a backend flash.

Quote:
Its just as hard as the inline setup. Except that with the vishnu setup you dont have to solder or (crimp) two wires and connect a few bundy connectors to the Gates submersible Fuel hose.

I've never seen a Visnu pump setup or the instructions, but in the description it reads "Kit includes mourning hardware, wiring harness and push-in fuel lines." So you your pretty much doing the same thing, except the soldering.
2007 Bmw X5 (Sold)

Last edited by buster84; 10-03-2013 at 02:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 01:40 AM   #34
07tundra
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

lfpf

Quote:
Hey Lifted you heard of the soup Nazi.....Ken is the Pic Nazi no pics for you!!lol just had to give you a hard time Ken!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 08:24 AM   #35
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey Lifted you heard of the soup Nazi.....Ken is the Pic Nazi no pics for you!!lol just had to give you a hard time Ken!
I don't share pictures of my girls friend with everyone. You're just special...
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #36
07tundra
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

lpfp

Quote:
I don't share pictures of my girls friend with everyone. You're just special...
I never got anything from you.....so I guess I'm not that speciallol
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 11:07 PM   #37
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I never got anything from you.....so I guess I'm not that speciallol
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 12:44 AM   #38
deathbunny
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Whats a rough idea on labor hours to get one of the inline setups installed? Im trying to decide if the install cost is high enough to justify spending the extra money on the vishnu pump.

Edit sorry never mind. I just found this on vishnu's site "Installs in less than an hour."

I think I will be going with the cheaper version. Thanks for the info buster, you just saved me a bunch of money! I didn't even know that other inline option was available.

Last edited by deathbunny; 10-04-2013 at 12:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 06:24 PM   #39
07tundra
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

rbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster84 View Post
So True, the only true pain is removing the bottom fuel fitting and the power cords to the lid.

Its a great setup, but thats upto the buyer to determine if they like the idea of spending $500 for a custom billet housing. The walbro pump is "Retail" at only $115.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181150677061...84.m1423.l2649

If you don't want to e85 walbro pump you can do the inline setup for about the same price $115 after all the parts. The pump flows a little less, but supports 100% e85. Even with a high mileage stock pump. I have 65k on my stock pump and still have room. Without RB's i cant test the when the pump runs out of fuel lol.

The install is no different than the $600 pump. Except your manually adding fittings to the fuel lines, and soldering (or Crimping) your wires. Thats about it. Also if your worried about messing up your stock bucket, Don't. When you buy a new stock pump you get all new parts; A bucket, wires, fuel level sensor and hat.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=872811

Keep in mind that Shiv's pump will flow more and allow more HP than the inline setup and the e85 pump in the bucket, but unless your running Upgraded turbos you wont utilize that extra fuel. You could also upgrade to the e85 pump in the bucket and the inline for about $240 and outflow it all.

Or if your looking for serious HP you can run two walbro e85's in a parallel setup. No matter which pump you choose, on a stock car you'll get the same end results. 100% e85 usage (just as long as your stock pump isn't overly tired)

Keep in mind: The walbro inline pump is not an e85 pump, but people have been using it for years in other cars without issues. I've used it for over two months with 100% e85 and its still working good. Thankfully its only an $80 pump so if it fails you can change it out pretty easy. For the price of the pump replacing it every year or two would still be a great deal.

Most cars don't have issues with codes, but some do. Its mostly n55's that seem to not be able to accept any fuel pump changes. I don't have one so i cant really comment on it other than what i've read. Most codes are usually related to an install issue, or a fluke that something went wrong right after the install. Other's get fuel mixture codes, but that only happens if you go over a certain % without a backend flash.

Its just as hard as the inline setup. Except that with the vishnu setup you dont have to solder or (crimp) two wires and connect a few bundy connectors to the Gates submersible Fuel hose.

I've never seen a Visnu pump setup or the instructions, but in the description it reads "Kit includes mourning hardware, wiring harness and push-in fuel lines." So you your pretty much doing the same thing, except the soldering.
So do you know of anyone hitting 480-500whp range running the 255 inline no meth and with RBs? The 255 is good with stock turbos but how good is it with RBs soon Vargas Batch2 of 2, wouldn't the 455 used inline still flow more. I know but a what cost just don't look at the cost for a minute and compare pumps.

What is a reasonable cost for the FFTEC/Vinshu pump.....I guess that depends on the individual I'd pay 300-350 for it. Since Wedge likes hypotheticals......How many people would it take in a group buy to bring the price down that far? Or Wedge could just give me his I could test it out and see what I've missing! Yeah the smiley getting kicked is Wedge and when he falls over I run and take his Vinshu inline...lol

Last edited by 07tundra; 10-04-2013 at 06:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #40
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So do you know of anyone hitting 480-500whp range running the 255 inline of course with RBs? With stockers I have no doubt that the 255 is good but wouldn't the 455 used inline still flow more. I know but a what cost just don't look at the cost for a minute and compare pumps.

What is a reasonable cost for the FFTEC/Vinshu pump.....I'd pay 300-350 for it. Since Wedge likes hypotheticals......How many people would it take in a group buy to bring the price down that far? Or Wedge could just give me his I could test it out and see what I've missing!
I've yet to see anyone with RB's run full e85. I remember reading on these forums that the HPFP is the problem. If you just trying to run RB's on 91 then the stock pump should work unless its extra tired.

Vishnu's setup will flow more than both the inline setup and the single walbro e85 in the tank, but if you installed the walbro e85 in the bucket and the inline setup you would outflow the visnu setup (might need a wiring upgrade for more than 20amps). This would be the best method for RB's on e85 since most RB's get to 525+ On full e85 I bet you could would reach the 600 mark. The Vinshu pump might work, but at $600 it wouldn't be fun to findout that its not enough at those power levels and need to replace it again. If it was $300 it would be worth it for sure. Those e85 pumps are $115 on ebay and I'm sure he gets it cheaper via a wholesale license.

I don't really think that your issue will be the lpfp setup. I'm not sure if the 255 wile be enough for 550+hp, but the in bucket walbro should be. The major issue will be the HPFP maxing out. We've seen many cars reach 600hp on pump gas, but so far I've yet to see a 600hp full e85 car. Since we don't have HPFP upgrades yet im not sure what you could do for an upgrade. I'm not sure if anyone thought about it, but maybe their is a way to install a second hpfp in parallel?
2007 Bmw X5 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 08:17 PM   #41
07tundra
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

lpfp

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster84 View Post
I've yet to see anyone with RB's run full e85. I remember reading on these forums that the HPFP is the problem. If you just trying to run RB's on 91 then the stock pump should work unless its extra tired.

Vishnu's setup will flow more than both the inline setup and the single walbro e85 in the tank, but if you installed the walbro e85 in the bucket and the inline setup you would outflow the visnu setup (might need a wiring upgrade for more than 20amps). This would be the best method for RB's on e85 since most RB's get to 525+ On full e85 I bet you could would reach the 600 mark. The Vinshu pump might work, but at $600 it wouldn't be fun to findout that its not enough at those power levels and need to replace it again. If it was $300 it would be worth it for sure. Those e85 pumps are $115 on ebay and I'm sure he gets it cheaper via a wholesale license.

I don't really think that your issue will be the lpfp setup. I'm not sure if the 255 wile be enough for 550+hp, but the in bucket walbro should be. The major issue will be the HPFP maxing out. We've seen many cars reach 600hp on pump gas, but so far I've yet to see a 600hp full e85 car. Since we don't have HPFP upgrades yet im not sure what you could do for an upgrade. I'm not sure if anyone thought about it, but maybe their is a way to install a second hpfp in parallel?
I ran the 455 in bucket 100% e70 and hit some good numbers. My thing is that I would like to leave the stock bucket alone much like the inline 255 DIY but with a little stronger pump like the 455. Why hasn't anyone come up with something like this for a reasonable cost.....I guess the interest isn't really there?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 08:19 PM   #42
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
I ran the 455 in bucket 100% e70 and hit some good numbers. My thing is that I would like to leave the stock bucket alone much like the inline 255 DIY but with a little stronger pump like the 455. Why hasn't anyone come up with something like this for a reasonable cost.....I guess the interest isn't really there?
It's a niche market within a niche market

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 08:52 PM   #43
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
It's a niche market within a niche market
True, If you have about 10k you can find a china distributor to create billet covers for the e85 pumps and buy them in mass quantities then sell them on here. That would be the easiest way and cheapest. All the cover does is enclose the fuel pump to allow you to create a fitting for the inlet since nothing can attach to the bottom of the pump except the supplied filter. Then you can compete in the market for sales lol, but for now shiv's setup is all we got if you want to run the walbro e85 pump its-self in an inline setup.

Their really isn't much to replacing the fuel pump in the bucket. You just break away the glue, remove the pump, add the new one and run a hose with a T from the outlet of the fuel pump to the orange connection and the other end to the venturi line and solder two wires. The hardest part would be the removal of the bucket. Thats no different than replacing a stock fuel pump lol

The reason people have issue's with their setups is because of user mistakes. People buy ordinary fuel hoses and end up thinking that its more difficult than it needs to be. Buying the wrong product would do that. A non-submersible hose would get eaten up fast by the gasoline and deteriorate. A submersible hose (gates) one brand of the correct hose. Other companies make them as well, but just make sure it says submersible otherwise its only made to run fuel in the line and not on the outside.

Some people also have had issues with their gates hose coming off the venturi line and that again is a user mistake. The venturi line is much smaller than the hose and since the hose is big it can slip of the lines or even cause the venturi its-self to lift off the bottom of the tank.

I'd suggest using a hose like SteveAZ used on his setup (hes on another forum) (first pic)

I also suggest using seal all when resealing the black fuel pump holder in the bucket as well as use it on the venturi to keep it stuck to the bucket. I'm actually puzzled that no one used Seal ALL like im suggesting... I guess if you've never really worked with high performance fuel pumps and custom fuel bucket setups then you wouldn't really know what products work well.
Attached Images

2007 Bmw X5 (Sold)

Last edited by buster84; 10-04-2013 at 09:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2013, 09:45 PM   #44
suprchrgd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Maybe someone could contact these guys for an intank fuel setup? These guys have built some nice setups.

http://www.foreinnovations.com/default.asp
Appreciate 0