E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > intake warranty question

08-13-2009, 12:08 AM   #1
bmw3355
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw

intake warranty question

hey guys anybody know if an intake will void your warranty? like if i get a fuel pump failure and leave my stett cai in will i have problems with warranty?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 01:56 AM   #2
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

talk to you SA

IMO the only thing they can blame the STETT on is if water gets into the engine... or something like that
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 02:05 AM   #3
BES335xi
Colonel
Albania
Rep
Drives: FBO+ N54xi

Garage List
03/07 E90 335xi  [1.00]
I take my car in with the aFe intake all the time, noone has said anything about it...so idk depends on ur SA i guess...
JB4+usb | P3 Vent Boost Gauge v2 | BMS OCC | BMS DCI | AMS FMIC | AR xi CL DP's | BT Tool | Edibias/NCSExpert/INPA BMW Coding | Cyba Quad Exhaust tips | M-Tech Rear & M3 Front Bumper | Red Cyba Air Scoops | Blacklines | Vinyl Overlays | ACS Roof Spoiler | Matte Black Grilles | LED Side Mirrors | Rear Euro Fogs | etc..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 05:04 AM   #4
Spydeputy
Brigadier General
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 F23 M235i/2008,E90,335xi

Garage List
it up to your SA. so ask away, and let us know.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 06:20 AM   #5
Chefcg1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

I was told by the manager at Flow BMW not to bring it in with a CAI on.
2008 335i coupe AW 6AT, RB Turbos, PROcede 2.5 V5, Alpina Flash, Injen Intake, VK MW DP . Helix IC, Vishnu PnP Meth(M10 nozzel), M3 sides, OEM Aero Lip, VMR V710 Midnight Blue, LUX H8, HID Fogs, M3 front bits, D2 Coilovers, Whiteline Rear Bushing inserts, Custom M3 Steering Wheel, Cyba scoops, M2 Performance Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 07:26 AM   #6
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefcg1 View Post
I was told by the manager at Flow BMW not to bring it in with a CAI on.
Until we take a stand as a group and stop these illegal tactics from BMW, then nothing will ever happen. I wonder if we can contact a lawyer who would be willing to file a class action lawsuit under the Moss-Magnusson act? Seriously, deny HPFP warranty (which BMW admits is faulty) for an intake!!! This is not only stupid but illegal!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 07:32 AM   #7
JDLM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
Until we take a stand as a group and stop these illegal tactics from BMW, then nothing will ever happen. I wonder if we can contact a lawyer who would be willing to file a class action lawsuit under the Moss-Magnusson act? Seriously, deny HPFP warranty (which BMW admits is faulty) for an intake!!! This is not only stupid but illegal!!!
no kidding, I used to carry a copy of that act in my old car because of complaints from dealers

Also to the OP

There is a lot of info if you would take the time to educate yourself
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 07:38 AM   #8
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLM View Post
no kidding, I used to carry a copy of that act in my old car because of complaints from dealers

Also to the OP

There is a lot of info if you would take the time to educate yourself
We need to stand up though!!! Many people don't even get the oil changes they paid for because they are worried about their car being flagged due to tint or new valve stem covers on their car or non BMW floor mats! Seriously though, this is rediculous that you can't change your own air filter on the car without worrying about losing your warranty! This is not a matter of incovenience, but it is in fact illegal bullying tactics by BMW!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 09:06 AM   #9
chumley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335

Quote:
We need to stand up though!!! Many people don't even get the oil changes they paid for because they are worried about their car being flagged due to tint or new valve stem covers on their car or non BMW floor mats! Seriously though, this is rediculous that you can't change your own air filter on the car without worrying about losing your warranty! This is not a matter of incovenience, but it is in fact illegal bullying tactics by BMW!
I agree 100% in principal. It's ridiculous that completely unrelated items can be a cause for denial of a service/warranty. Unfortunately, very few businesses seem to be able to implement a "reasonability test" for what they cover and what they don't. Clearly something cosmetic should never effect anything mechanical or engine related but many things aren't that obvious.

You have an awesome new HKS exhaust but in doing so, you've certainly changed things, including the emission controls. Should they cover your primary cats, dp's and turbos? I certainly think so but if it was your business would you? I'm not so sure. Clearly the HKS is a great system, but what if I built my own? and it leaked, popped, backfired, etc. Is that ok too? Should they decide on whether to cover it based on how much you spent and if you bought a quality mod? Clearly that can't possibly work.

Thousands of us on here are tuning 50-75% more boost than the car was built for. How can anyone defend a warranty for ANYTHING drivetrain related including the HPFP, clutch, tranny, diff, etc?

Obviously, like I said, it goes back to what is reasonable. I'm certainly not defending BMW, but it is alot harder to implement a company-wide policy than it might seem. It's alot easier for them to say "this is how we designed it, if you change it, you're on your own" than to say "oh, you changed it, but wow, your FMIC works better than ours, it's ok then". A company that big can't differentiate the merits of one mod over another or "judge" what seems to work or not.

I think if any of us were running BMW, and you had to implement policy for thousands of service departments taking car of hundreds of thousands of cars, we would most likely have a similar mod-unfriendly policy. I think the angle is to hope for an SA or more likely a service manager that is reasonable in how systems effect each other.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 09:13 AM   #10
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumley View Post
I agree 100% in principal. It's ridiculous that completely unrelated items can be a cause for denial of a service/warranty. Unfortunately, very few businesses seem to be able to implement a "reasonability test" for what they cover and what they don't. Clearly something cosmetic should never effect anything mechanical or engine related but many things aren't that obvious.

You have an awesome new HKS exhaust but in doing so, you've certainly changed things, including the emission controls. Should they cover your primary cats, dp's and turbos? I certainly think so but if it was your business would you? I'm not so sure. Clearly the HKS is a great system, but what if I built my own? and it leaked, popped, backfired, etc. Is that ok too? Should they decide on whether to cover it based on how much you spent and if you bought a quality mod? Clearly that can't possibly work.

Thousands of us on here are tuning 50-75% more boost than the car was built for. How can anyone defend a warranty for ANYTHING drivetrain related including the HPFP, clutch, tranny, diff, etc?

Obviously, like I said, it goes back to what is reasonable. I'm certainly not defending BMW, but it is alot harder to implement a company-wide policy than it might seem. It's alot easier for them to say "this is how we designed it, if you change it, you're on your own" than to say "oh, you changed it, but wow, your FMIC works better than ours, it's ok then". A company that big can't differentiate the merits of one mod over another or "judge" what seems to work or not.

I think if any of us were running BMW, and you had to implement policy for thousands of service departments taking car of hundreds of thousands of cars, we would most likely have a similar mod-unfriendly policy. I think the angle is to hope for an SA or more likely a service manager that is reasonable in how systems effect each other.
I do understand what you are saying, but what you are doing is considering any modder guilty period. There is no court, no argument, nothing. If you mod a car then you are guilty and that isn't fair or legal! What happened to innocent until proven guilty.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 09:29 AM   #11
chumley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335

Quote:
I do understand what you are saying, but what you are doing is considering any modder guilty period. There is no court, no argument, nothing. If you mod a car then you are guilty and that isn't fair or legal! What happened to innocent until proven guilty.
Hey, I'm with you! I'm not saying I agree with it, especially the clearly stupid decisions to warranty or not, I'm just saying that I kinda understand it.

I just bought my car and worry constantly about everything I do to it. My plan is to give it a few months to break in, bring in in for any nit picks, then mod. I'm hoping that regular service intervals will be far apart for me and I will swap back the obvious stuff and hope something like that beautiful exhaust you have (I want!) doesn't cause too much hassle!

Funny thing is that I also have a 4+ year old, highly modified S2000 I bought new that has never been to the dealer once, not even for even a bulb or switch - nothing! Somehow I don't think that's going to be the case with this car.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 09:46 AM   #12
Chefcg1
Major
United_States
Rep

This is an old horse that has been beaten to death by 1000's of car owners spanning numerous brands. I personally have been part of an ongoing class action suit against Mitsubishi for denying my warranty on my 1997 Mitsubishi eclipse because of a catback exhaust. I had a turbo failure because of crank walk and the metal shavings getting into the turbo cartridge. This claim was denied even after they had replaced the original engine for crank walk. This is a known issue with their engine and yet they will make every effort to deny warranty claims. The problem is that it cost thousands to even get and continue litigation against a manufacturer and years to move forward. Most of us just give up or forget it. There has recently been a local case that finally saw its day in court over the lemon law on a 1983 Cadillac. The car had been held since 1983!!!!! The outcome was for the plaintiff, but I can sure tell you I can’t be without a 40K+ car for 26 years until it goes to court.
2008 335i coupe AW 6AT, RB Turbos, PROcede 2.5 V5, Alpina Flash, Injen Intake, VK MW DP . Helix IC, Vishnu PnP Meth(M10 nozzel), M3 sides, OEM Aero Lip, VMR V710 Midnight Blue, LUX H8, HID Fogs, M3 front bits, D2 Coilovers, Whiteline Rear Bushing inserts, Custom M3 Steering Wheel, Cyba scoops, M2 Performance Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 10:18 AM   #13
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

We are talking about 1000s of cars that cost 50k. I think this is an entirely different animal.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 12:07 PM   #14
Chefcg1
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
We are talking about 1000s of cars that cost 50k. I think this is an entirely different animal.
unfortunatley I don't think the courts see it as any different.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 05:23 AM   #15
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefcg1 View Post
unfortunatley I don't think the courts see it as any different.
Agreed, but lawyers do.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 01:57 PM   #16
AV9
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

i took it in with my injen intake to sterling bmw...basically i got harrassed, got bmw NA involved, and got the service manager fired...

but now im basically banned from sterling lol...just take it off haha
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2009, 12:05 PM   #17
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvZbMvE View Post
i took it in with my injen intake to sterling bmw...basically i got harrassed, got bmw NA involved, and got the service manager fired...

but now im basically banned from sterling lol...just take it off haha
oh wow, we had no issues with injen intake thus far
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2009, 04:22 PM   #18
SoCalTech
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW yet...

Sometimes it's uncalled for to deny a warranty claim because of aftermarket parts, but sometimes the aftermarket part, or the install of said part, is what caused the problem. I couldn't cover an airbag light due to an aftermarket battery install. I had another airbag light that I couldn't cover due to a woman's puppy chewing through the seat harness.
Appreciate 0