E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > What to do right before warranty expires?

11-19-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
SmoothStyle1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i, 6MT

What to do right before warranty expires?

My warranty is set to expire on Dec 15. I want to schedule one last service before it expires. Are there any code words or phrases that I should use to get them to replace things that may eventual go wrong?

I've heard wastegate problems are a common issue?

Anything else?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 01:06 PM   #2
O HELLA BMW
I <3 My E93
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12” 335is vert

Turbos and waste gates are covered for 8 years or 82,000 miles
      11-19-2012, 03:17 PM   #3
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Kill a chicken and mar blood on your hood! You have to speak in tongues too.

Is it warranty or maintenance program that ends?

In any case, I'd say take a look at the engine with a flashlight, especially at the valve cover gasket (including the inside of the spark plug holes), the main engine pan, and the gasket between the oil filter housing and the block. There are notorious to leak and cost quite some money to fix, and will be considered "normal wear".
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
Philz BMW
Slow rollin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i koop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post

In any case, I'd say take a look at the engine with a flashlight, especially at the valve cover gasket (including the inside of the spark plug holes), the main engine pan, and the gasket between the oil filter housing and the block. There are notorious to leak and cost quite some money to fix, and will be considered "normal wear".
Good point. Mine was leaking and was fixed under warranty.

Business: BMW 328i Coupe
Pleasure: Ducati 1098S
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 07:53 AM   #5
SmoothStyle1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post

Thanks.

It's the warranty that's about to expire. The maintenance program ended a couple of years ago.

I'll take a look at the items you mentioned above.

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 08:46 AM   #6
335xi Stunt'
E92 xi AW/Coral Red
United_States
Rep
Drives: your girl crazy

miles??
im at 55k miles and my water pump died... thats common as well and a costly one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothStyle1 View Post
My warranty is set to expire on Dec 15. I want to schedule one last service before it expires. Are there any code words or phrases that I should use to get them to replace things that may eventual go wrong?

I've heard wastegate problems are a common issue?

Anything else?
      11-27-2012, 02:51 PM   #7
SmoothStyle1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xi Stunt' View Post
miles??
im at 55k miles and my water pump died... thats common as well and a costly one.
I'm at 45k miles.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 04:29 PM   #8
335xi Stunt'
E92 xi AW/Coral Red
United_States
Rep
Drives: your girl crazy

if you dont have any problems with the pump now, i doubt they will replace it. but the water pump & thermostat change is ~1000$... this is parts from the dealer and IND shop for labor. looking at $300 for labor alone. parts should run about $650-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothStyle1 View Post
I'm at 45k miles.