E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Alpine HiFi Upgrade

03-22-2012, 08:45 AM   #23
GesterOz
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY10.5 E90 320D

Thanks for the feedback on the Alpine upgrade! I've contacted some dealers here in Qld to try and do the same thing but the prices I've been quoted range from a crazy $1500 to $1750 or the cheapest at $720 for labour if I provide the kit.

Two of them were adamant I wouldn't need recoding either (I contacted about 5). Now going by your experience I shouldn't let them get away with NOT recoding should I?

Still $1500 is pretty steep for what this is

Also can you post pics of how you "napped" off the Alpine SPS-410 speaker mounting prong for your rear speakers? Also maybe a pic of the finished installation if you have a chance?? Thinking of also doing the same

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 02:39 PM   #24
bmwaddiction
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS350 F Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by GesterOz View Post
Thanks for the feedback on the Alpine upgrade! I've contacted some dealers here in Qld to try and do the same thing but the prices I've been quoted range from a crazy $1500 to $1750 or the cheapest at $720 for labour if I provide the kit.

Two of them were adamant I wouldn't need recoding either (I contacted about 5). Now going by your experience I shouldn't let them get away with NOT recoding should I?

Also can you post pics of how you "napped" off the Alpine SPS-410 speaker mounting prong for your rear speakers? Also maybe a pic of the finished installation if you have a chance?? Thinking of also doing the same

Thanks in advance!

just import it from Schmiedmann yourself and then get the dealer to install it, that should save you about 600-700 off the quoted price
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 06:23 PM   #25
PerthBMW
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GesterOz View Post

Thanks in advance!
Hi

There was a dealer in Melbourne that was selling them cheap - Sean Ball at BMW Mornington in Vic - about $699??? - you coud haggle now the new 3 is out I guess. The problem is limited supply in Australia. If you contact BMW HQ they will confirm the car DOES need recoding - it will work without it but not as good. The documents quote a maximum of 4 hours install time.

Anyone who buys this kit from Schmiedmann has rocks in their head. There are so many posts about people, including myself, being ripped off by this crowd of cheats as a result of the speakers turning up damaged. You might save some money but you will end up with broken stuff. You have been warned!

I will take some pics of the rear speakers for you on the weekend and post - they are very easy to do.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #26
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Sean Bell @ Mornington definitely gives good prices - probably the best locally.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 10:15 AM   #27
GesterOz
Australia
Rep

Awesome - I'll give Sean @ Mornington a call on Monday!

Also in regards to the big debate about coding being required.... some people are saying that there is a setting on the amp that can be changed from '1' to '2' and it sounds the same as though coding has happened? Has anyone with problems just change this switch on the amp? I wonder if it really does make it sound "better" heh. Seems a bit too simple of a fix
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 01:16 AM   #28
GesterOz
Australia
Rep

Just ordered the kit from Sean @ Mornington. It was $799 as prices this year had gone up.

Way cheaper then local dealers who were wanting $1100+ for the kit alone here in QLD.

Heard back from a few dealers here regarding getting the install done and the best I've found is $580. They are still adamant it doesn't require coding because thats what the latest instructions from BMW are

Screw it - I'll just code it myself when I get my cable

On this thread here http://www.bmwc0ding/showthread.php?...ll=1#post24586 (change 0 to an o ) - instead of adding VO $676 they just changed a single value and it prevented the quiet PDC problems people were having when installing the Alpine kit and having the CIC coded.

Last edited by GesterOz; 03-26-2012 at 11:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 06:33 AM   #29
PerthBMW
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Hi

Pictures of the rear deck speakers as requested...

Thanks and hopre this helps.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 09:38 PM   #30
Gester
Australia
Rep
Drives:

Thumbs up

Well I just thought I would provide an update - it's been a while. After having the install done, the dealer was raving on about how awesome it is - when really it was just way to bassy (and crap sounding bass too) and there was absolutely no midrage that could be heard

Flicking over the AMP switch from 1 -> 2 made it sound much better and I was content living with that for a few months. Finally I received a coding cable and finally thought I would give it a go to see if it would sound better. Just like my post a few months ago I only changed one value on the CIC module (there is only one line where it has stereo in the trace) which I changed to say hifi.

I flicked the AMP switch back to 1 and wow..... the difference is just awesome. The balance is perfectly balanced and not overbearing at all and it sounds far more "punchier" if thats a way to describe it. Definitely if you have an Alpine kit and haven't had it coded - you HAVE to do it! I thought I could get away not doing it but the difference is like night and day. Just awesome!!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 09:20 PM   #31
yxalitis
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 325i E90 Executive

Sorry to necro thread (not really), I banged up my 320D-result: write 0ff.

I decided to add a bit to the insurance pay out, and get a 2007/8 325i. (Dealer say '07, Vic Roads say '08)
Pro nav, M sport, keyless entry, nice car!
Of course as part of the deal, I made sure they through in the Alpine upgrade. (Maybe I should have tried for the Harmon Kardon?, oh well).
Vehicle was supposed to be ready for pick-up yesterday, but as I was on my way, the dealer rang and said they had trouble coding the car, and it wasn't going to be ready.
Now here in Melbourne, we have terrific dealers (except Moorabbin, but don't worry about that), so I got a X1 courtesy vehicle, and a free BMW windcheater (worth, well, let's say PRICED at $135).
But, I was reading the manual, and it talks about the Logic 7 equaliser settings.
Is that a separate upgrade?
Should I have asked for that instead?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 07:32 AM   #32
William39
Registered
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Man

@gaza 01 Sorry for being off topic.

I'm looking for a new stereo and I'm leaning towards alpine.

The thing is I've read good and bad. Most review sites cover the good and downgrade the bad. I've read some buyer feedbacks as well and that put me on the fence. Do they ship real melons?

After searching the net I've found a better review. A bit harsh finally one that seems to tell it how it is. What do you think about the Alpine ILX-207 radio? How bad are the drawbacks?

How hard is life with just one USB? What about the screen resolution is it a pixel war?

Tips?
Appreciate 0