E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Run-flat tires and tire pressure sensitivity.

08-28-2009, 05:31 PM   #1
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Run-flat tires and tire pressure sensitivity.

After reading posts on run flat tires on this forum, I wanted to experiment a bit with different road textures and tire pressure. To my amazement, I found that it may not be a problem with run flat tires but sensitivity to tire pressure. I've noticed that even a decrease in 1-2 PSI below normal recommended tire pressure causes our cars to ride rough, tramline more and increase road feel (BMW normal tire pressure recommended: 32F and 35R).

After keeping my tire pressure at the recommended PSI on both F/R tires, I noticed the ride was pretty good, tramlining was almost negligible and road feel was decent - not too much and not too less. This was true even on rough textures. The car felt really good, handling/feel was great and it drove smoothly on rough texture and I didn't had to hold tight the steering wheel. However, I noticed that after I hit a pothole (purposely) at about 30-35 MPH, my tire pressure on three of the tires reduced by 1-2 PSI below recommended. Then I drove the car and all the bad things that we've talked about here started to come into picture - tramlining, more road feel etc... So I went back after couple of days and hit the same pot hole with the same speed. Wasn't surprised to see a drop of 1 PSI.

Now I've got back to the recommended tire pressure and the car drives really well. I'm pretty happy with the ride quality. I'm starting to believe that as long as I maintain the correct tire pressures, the car will drive the way it is supposed to. I'm also starting to believe that our RFTs are way sensitive to bumps, pot holes as far as tire pressure goes.

So even if you hit a small pothole, there's a very high chance that your tire pressure has reduced by 1-2 PSIs.

Again, this is just from my experience. I'll have to play around a bit more with tire pressure to comfirm for sure and in the meanwhile I wanted to share my thoughts.

Note: All tire pressures were measured when it was cold, first thing early morning.
2009 BMW 328i

Last edited by buckybadger; 08-29-2009 at 12:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 05:38 PM   #2
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

TPMS is still no substitute for checking pressures often. But I'd advise against driving your new BMW into potholes repeatedly.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 07:00 PM   #3
cjava
Private
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by deznium View Post
After reading posts on run flat tires on this forum, I wanted to experiment a bit with different road textures and tire pressure. To my amazement, I found that it may not be a problem with run flat tires but sensitivity to tire pressure. I've noticed that even a decrease in 1-2 PSI below normal recommended tire pressure causes our cars to ride rough, tramline more and increase road feel (BMW normal tire pressure recommended: 32F and 35R).

After keeping my tire pressure at the recommended PSI on both F/R tires, I noticed the ride was pretty good, tramlining was almost negligible and road feel was decent - not too much and not too less. This was true even on rough textures. The car felt really good, handling/feel was great and it drove smoothly on rough texture and I didn't had to hold tight the steering wheel. However, I noticed that after I hit a pothole (purposely) at about 30-35 MPH, my tire pressure on three of the tires reduced by 1-2 PSI below recommended. Then I drove the car and all the bad things that we've talked about here started to come into picture - tramlining, more road feel etc... So I went back after couple of days and hit the same pot hole with the same speed. Wasn't surprised to see a drop of 1 PSI.

Now I've got back to the recommended tire pressure and the car drives really well. I'm pretty happy with the ride quality. I'm starting to believe that as long as I maintain the correct tire pressures, the car will drive the way it is supposed to. I'm also starting to believe that our RFTs are way sensitive to bumps, pot holes as far as tire pressure goes.

So even if you hit a small pothole, there's a very high chance that your tire pressure has reduced by 1-2 PSIs.

Again, this is just from my experience. I'll have to play around a bit more with tire pressure to comfirm for sure and in the meanwhile I wanted to share my thoughts.

Note: All tire pressures were measured when it was cold, first thing early morning after 12-14 hours of driving.
The RFTs form bubbles very easily. If I were you, I wouldn't purposely hit potholes as an experiment anymore, even if they're small ones.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 07:11 PM   #4
Thunder Dump
That tickles
Rep
Drives: '09 328i E93 SGM/CR

Quote:
On my E93 with the 18" RFTs, recommended pressure is 35F/42R. Or so says the manufacturer's sticker inside the driver's door. And if I go over 100mph regularly it is supposed to be 42F/49R.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 10:40 PM   #5
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Note: All tire pressures were measured when it was cold, first thing early morning after 12-14 hours of driving.
You mean after 12-14 hours of not driving? After 12-14 hours of driving, those tires wouldn't exactly be cold.
      08-28-2009, 11:23 PM   #6
texasbmw325i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 jeep grand cherokee overl

am i really supposed to check the air in my tires even though the tpms light is not on? i never have checked the air in my tires. guess i learned something new
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 12:32 AM   #7
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjava View Post
The RFTs form bubbles very easily. If I were you, I wouldn't purposely hit potholes as an experiment anymore, even if they're small ones.
lol don't worry about it dude...i have tire warranty..
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 01:24 AM   #8
Perfectus
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i/F10 528XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
TPMS is still no substitute for checking pressures often. But I'd advise against driving your new BMW into potholes repeatedly.
+1
Injen DCI w/ Cyba Scoop - M-Tech Rear - ///M3 Rear Lip Spoiler - ///M5 SMG Shift Knob & iDrive Knob - BMW Performance Hand Brake - BMWCCA Member
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 09:00 AM   #9
ELCHIEF
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 328xi

i am really upset with these stupid run flat tires and with myself. I didnt get the tire warranty when i got my e92. So about 5 months ago my two right tires went on the inside of the tire so i had to buy two new ones. ($450)

now i wake up this morning to go to work and i look at my dash and it shows the sign for low tire pressure. And i'm almost 100% sure i'm going to have to dish out another $225 for a new tire. IDK what to do, i love my car but dam i cant keep dishing out $500+ a year for these stupid run flat tires that dont last. help me out guys, no stupid comments please.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 09:31 AM   #10
rc'Z
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Dump View Post
On my E93 with the 18" RFTs, recommended pressure is 35F/42R. Or so says the manufacturer's sticker inside the driver's door. And if I go over 100mph regularly it is supposed to be 42F/49R.
That would be with four people and luggage.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 10:13 AM   #11
madmanhiker
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 335i

Garage List
I too am very dissatisfied with my RFT's (but there are ton's of threads on here that speak to that) I will say one this, aside from the typical "complaint's" with RFT's... I'll tell you that I have been driving around with a nail in my RR since last year October. (yea) Occasionally, I'll get a TPMS light, and I'll add some air and be on my way. Another note, I work out of my home and my daily commute MAY include 0 miles... lol. When I do drive, it's locally here in town and it's spirited driving. I will be replacing the tires here soon, most likely with a purchase of some VB3's from JLEVISW... but.. the RFT's do has their advantages. My next tires will not be RFT's however, and I'll have to locate a spare as well for the nail that does the tire in..........
Appreciate 0