E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Not happy

05-18-2013, 03:28 PM   #67
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
Scott,

I start a new job in Central London in July. I will commuting weekly by train from the North West. Early start Mondays, back late Fridays. The train is a massive amount cheaper than driving and less hassle. I have no garage now for even a project or a weekend toy. We are probably going to sell up next year with a view to buying our dream home (now that the kids are grown up), looking at East Anglia- so I need to save £20k for moving costs. I will have to replace the V70 with an estate for my wife (+dogs) but there are absolutely no plans for me to continue to waste money on cars I don't drive I have truly seen the light - hallelujah........

So once the 640d has gone,( and I may have to wait until the end of the lease in March next year) I will not get another car (exclusively for my use) until my finances realistically permit.

Happy to have a wager.....

Now then, where is Andrews's M6....
Do yourself a favour and go first class. I'm quite a fan of the train too, if you pick the right one I.e. avoid the popular times... I like being able to get to London within the hour and relax on the way there and get a bit of work done at the same time.

So 1st can have quite a few bell ends who think their are super important and like to have loud phone conversations about their shit investments. However after missing my pre booked train back to Stafford from London yesterday I gave 1st a miss as the price was £150 so I went standard which I've done plenty of times. This was a busy train back and I sat opposite someone either deranged or someone who had just injected. He went to the toilet and came back eyes rolling in his head, moaning and groaning all the way back.

Book in advance and its not much more.

And mr palmer if I read it right you should have a new m6 on the drive right now? I hope you are pleased. Looking forward to hearing about it.

Must be one of your heavier cars, more so than the old m6 and your xfr. But these cars hide the weight pretty well. Best not to dwell on it because its a beast of a car. Lovely interior IMO. I looked at the old m6 and I really wasn't a fan of the old m6 interior for the value of the car. Not exactly a pauper spec but I think the new interior and design is leagues ahead.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 03:38 PM   #68
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Peter, let me know when you have moved! I will come and say hello
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #69
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

I'm going to play devils advocate here. But why not change job? Your clearly good enough at what you do to get paid a packet and there are surely no shortage of other companies in your line of business (admittedly all I know is that it's something to do with mobile phones). If you can never fully enjoy the fruits of your labour as you would like then what's the fucking point?
      05-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #70
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
I'm going to play devils advocate here. But why not change job?
Ooooh....controversial!

A few reasons....but firstly remember that nothing has been expressly stated, just merely implied. It's my interpretation and self-consciousnessas as much as anything! Then the relative lack of use as a result of this.

And yes, whilst there are other opportunities and my CV is more than competitive, I have an extremely good job that I thoroughly enjoy....and this last point is worth more than many things in life. How many people can truly say that??

Then theres the small matter of long term incentive plans etc....all add up to things much more important than the car I drive, no matter how distressing things are in the short term!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #71
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by briers View Post
Do yourself a favour and go first class. I'm quite a fan of the train too, if you pick the right one I.e. avoid the popular times... I like being able to get to London within the hour and relax on the way there and get a bit of work done at the same time.

So 1st can have quite a few bell ends who think their are super important and like to have loud phone conversations about their shit investments. However after missing my pre booked train back to Stafford from London yesterday I gave 1st a miss as the price was £150 so I went standard which I've done plenty of times. This was a busy train back and I sat opposite someone either deranged or someone who had just injected. He went to the toilet and came back eyes rolling in his head, moaning and groaning all the way back.

Book in advance and its not much more.
I use the train a lot, in particular Virgin on the West Coast line. I have a railcard so get return advance tickets for around £50/or so, sometimes less. I only travel first when I manage to get a really cheap advance. It's only a two and a half hour or so journey so standard is generally ok.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 04:55 PM   #72
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Are you going to do a review of the M6? I see you had a M6 before, how does the new one compare?
Appreciate 0