E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > E90 335i '07 - Should I drop it? Friends say yes, I am skeptical

04-28-2011, 06:44 AM   #1
jmilber
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Soon 335i Sedan

E90 335i '07 - Should I drop it? Friends say yes, I am skeptical

Hey all,

Check out the pics of my 2007 e90 335i w/ sport package. My friends tell me I gotta drop the sonuvabitch... I think it'd look cool, but am worried it will cause bottoming out and make my ride uncomfortable.

Do you guys think it is worth it to drop my car? Do the pros outweigh the cons? Or, will I just ruin my luxury cars smooth suspension and be inconvenienced by bottoming out over this juvenile pleasure.

What is the most conservative way to drop it? Lower it 1/4 inch? Let me nkow what you guys think about dropping it, and if I do it, what is the safest way to do it. Appreicate your input.

PS. Maybe posting in ths suspension section of this forum could = a bit of a bias towards dropping?
Attached Images

Last edited by jmilber; 04-29-2011 at 03:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 06:49 AM   #2
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
You could do front lowering perches which will drop the front 0.5"

Or Eibach pro-kit which gives a conservative drop, while maintaining ride quality.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 11:58 AM   #3
mave198
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Seems like you got the sports suspension.

I would upgrade to the performance suspension. Get a conservative drop and much better handling to boot.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 01:41 PM   #4
335iaz
Cause their greeaaaaat!!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: SBM E90 335i

eibach pro-kit ftw!
      04-28-2011, 01:53 PM   #5
Boosted John
Internet Ninja
Rep
Drives: 13 AH3

the B & G springs are great.. they give you a great drop with no comprimise in ride quality. They can be a litle hard to find but, well worth the wait for them..

I've had eibach's and tiens and others on different cars and so far the B & G's are superior to all in comfort.. also i have never bottomed out..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 02:12 PM   #6
BcuzAWD
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: with E85 on 22psi at 475tq

If you want a comfortable daily drive coilover kit get the eibach kit. Kinda pricey compared to just springs but if you drop the car do it right. If you buy just springs with and reuse ur stock shocks ride will be harsh.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 02:41 PM   #7
Boosted John
Internet Ninja
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrios View Post
If you want a comfortable daily drive coilover kit get the eibach kit. Kinda pricey compared to just springs but if you drop the car do it right. If you buy just springs with and reuse ur stock shocks ride will be harsh.
my ride is not harsh at all.. coil-overs for the street are overkill. i had c/o's on my STi and they were nice and all but, too much for daily use when it comes to stiffness..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 03:31 PM   #8
jmilber
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hmmm... sounds like Eibach is the way to go. Gonna look into this
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 03:51 PM   #9
michael1284
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp

I'm running pro kit w/ koni FSD's on e92 though..
      04-28-2011, 07:25 PM   #10
Babydragon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

If you've part of this foruming enough you would know that not only should you drop your car but it is encouraged.
You don't even have to give pics.
Drop
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 09:28 PM   #11
Boosted John
Internet Ninja
Rep

Hajduk, you got your b & g's yet??
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 09:32 PM   #12
Babydragon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Hell yeah boosted put them on Saturday. Have a look.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=521402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted John View Post
Hajduk, you got your b g's yet??
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 02:12 AM   #13
jmilber
Enlisted Member
Rep

Told my friend about the kit you guys recommend. He said I am stupid and need to get coil overs. What u all say to that? Is it necessary?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 03:34 PM   #14
Mehale
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilber View Post
Hey all,

Check out the pics of my 335i. My friends tell me I gotta drop the sonuvabitch... I think it'd look cool, but am worried it will cause bottoming out and make my ride uncomfortable.

Do you guys think it is worth it to drop my car? Do the pros outweigh the cons? Or, will I just ruin my luxury cars smooth suspension and be inconvenienced by bottoming out over this juvenile pleasure.

What is the most conservative way to drop it? Lower it 1/4 inch? Let me know what you guys think about dropping it, and if I do it, what is the safest way to do it. Appreicate your input.

PS. Maybe posting in ths suspension section of this forum could = a bit of a bias towards dropping?
Yes, your friends are going to tell you that you need to drop it because it cosmetically looks better when the car is lowered and wheel gap has been reduced however cosmetically and ride pleasure are two totally different things.

From the looks of things, you are running on a Sports Stock Suspension (please confirm).

There are a couple things to consider when debating a suspension alteration which is all going to be based on your opinion and your environment.

1. What is your road conditions in your area. I have pretty bad road conditions in the NorthEast therefore I would not drop mine no matter how often my friends kept telling me that it looked like a monster truck. I would be destroying my front lip even more than I already do, and drives me insane hearing that scraping noise.

2. Cosmetic satisfaction > Driving satisfaction? The stock sport suspension is a beautiful suspension. Even with 19" aftermarket rims, the cosmetic appears and drive quality of the suspension is not THAT bad.

Unless you buy a pair of springs and stocks to match or coilovers which are even more expensive I would not make the change. Alot of people will say that H&R Sport with stock struts will work, however since you have a sedan and packing people in your car is a possibility, riding on aftermarket springs with stock suspension will not feel right and make some long rides bumpy.

If you do have the financial ability to lower the car, I'd make the dive, if your own edge, I'd leave as is. Save your ears and front bumper from some driveway scraps enjoy the car. Its already alot lower than most stock vehicles on the market and aggressive as is.

The Pro's will outweigh the Cons if you do it properly for your road conditions and invest the money.

P.s. - I love the color. Your already starting to look like my twin.

Edited: Ignore everything I just wrote above. I just noticed your from CA. Your streets are smooth as butter. You'll be fine with a drop, lol

Last edited by Mehale; 04-29-2011 at 03:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 03:42 PM   #15
jmilber
Enlisted Member
Rep

Ahhh I am so confused! So many people tell me differen't things. Yes,it is a sports packet that already came with the car. Does that mean the shocks I have are already more aggressive so I might be able to get away with just buying springs?

I dont mind spending a little extra $ for a smoother ride and better handling. Given that info, what would you guys say will have the best results?

1.) Eibach Pro-System - Springs & Dampers
2.) Eibach Pro-Springs & Stock Shocks
3.) Sibach Pro Springs & Koni Dampers

I will spend up to $1000, and want the best ones in terms of ride comfort and drivers satisfaction. I also want a minimal drop from where it is right now.

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 03:42 PM   #16
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Quote:
Told my friend about the kit you guys recommend. He said I am stupid and need to get coil overs. What u all say to that? Is it necessary?
For daily driving? No
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 03:48 PM   #17
Mehale
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ahhh I am so confused! So many people tell me differen't things. Yes,it is a sports packet that already came with the car. Does that mean the shocks I have are already more aggressive so I might be able to get away with just buying springs?

I dont mind spending a little extra $ for a smoother ride and better handling. Given that info, what would you guys say will have the best results?

1.) Eibach Pro-System - Springs & Dampers
2.) Eibach Pro-Springs & Stock Shocks
3.) Sibach Pro Springs & Koni Dampers

I will spend up to $1000, and want the best ones in terms of ride comfort and drivers satisfaction. I also want a minimal drop from where it is right now.

Thanks guys!
Eibach Pro Springs are the the most conservative drop available from what I'm aware of when it comes to altering spring however I do not know any shock pairing for those sets of springs. You'll need other people to chim in.

As mentioned, you can get away with stock struts but if you want to change you'll need to do some research on what people use for combo's and quality of the ride.

BMW chose the springs and the struts for a reason.. an idealistic ride quality, your altering their idealistic combo.

Coilovers are expensive and probably not necessary for daily driving.

I personally am annoyed with any adjustable setup however people swear by coilovers because of the complete package they provide.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 09:05 PM   #18
jzepeda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e92 Dinan Stage 2

I'm selling Dinan Springs if you decide to go that route.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 07:16 AM   #19
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

I think Dinan is a great way to go, but it will be VERY tough to do it for under $1000 and it doesn't really lower it that much. Unless you only drive on fresh tarmac, it's important not to give up too much suspension travel.
      04-30-2011, 12:37 PM   #20
31 Hz
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 N54 ZSP 6mt

Quote:
Spoiler: your friend either has no idea what he is talking about, or is purposefully trying to get you to buy something expensive that you don't need.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 09:12 AM   #21
Mehale
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Hz View Post
Quote:
Spoiler: your friend either has no idea what he is talking about, or is purposefully trying to get you to buy something expensive that you don't need.
Boom.... Roasted. Lol
2007 335i 6MT Sport Package - Dinan Free Flow Exhaust - 20% Tints - Matte Grille - Black BMW Emblems - Ambergones - Blackline Taillights - Full MTech Body Kit - Daeos Angel Eyes - Lux 5.0 - Vorsteiner Front Lip - 19" VMR v710: Matte Black - Carbon Fiber Vinyl Interior Trim - Black Vinyl Window Trim - Nokya 2500k Foglight Bulbs - Vishnu v5 - BMS DCI
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 09:56 AM   #22
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Your friend is correct. On a BMW it's pointless to just get springs because you'll need shocks and struts within a year since they'll likely be blown due to lowering springs. If you're going to lower the car, you will have to buy the associated dampers that can handle the shorter spring travel AND shorter springs, otherwise you'll be blowing through hundreds of dollars every year on replacing the dampers.

And since typically, springs, shocks and struts will cost you about the same as a lower price coil overs, you're probably better off spending just a little bit more and buy a coil over anyway, whether or not you need it.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0