E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Fraternities and Sororities

10-04-2010, 06:36 PM   #45
schoy
Major
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aut0sh0cker View Post

Facts:

1. Fraternity men make up only 2% of the population!
2. Approximately 80% of the top executives in Fortune 500 are fraternity men.
4. 76% of the current United States Senators and Congressmen are fraternity men.
5. 40 of the 47 Supreme Court Justices since 1910 have been fraternity men.
6. 100 of the 158 cabinet members since 1900 have been fraternity men.
7. All but 3 United States Presidents since 1825 have been fraternity men.
So why exactly should we be promoting an advancement system based on nepotism rather than merit? The REAL question that these stats beg is how much better off would this country be if the positions were filled by men qualified by merit. The stats are just as good evidence of our country's stagnation as our country's purported greatness.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 06:41 PM   #46
schoy
Major
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
However, isn't any type of organization that you join, be it for sporting, hobby, or any other activity all the same thing? It can all be reduced to paying for friends.

Are you still paying for friends if you host a party at your own house with your random friends you invite over? The answer is yes, its all just a matter of semantics.
Respectfully disagree. I think when people say "paying for friends", they mean that one has to spend money to get friends that one otherwise wouldn't have if one didn't spend the money, i.e. money is the sole cause of the "friendship". There's also an intent element, meaning: "I want to be friends with X, Y, and Z, and the only way I can be friends with them is to pay money, so I will do so".

Paying money to host a party is completely different because they were already friends, and would probably still be friends even if you didn't host the party at all.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 07:51 PM   #47
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoy View Post
Respectfully disagree. I think when people say "paying for friends", they mean that one has to spend money to get friends that one otherwise wouldn't have if one didn't spend the money, i.e. money is the sole cause of the "friendship". There's also an intent element, meaning: "I want to be friends with X, Y, and Z, and the only way I can be friends with them is to pay money, so I will do so".

Paying money to host a party is completely different because they were already friends, and would probably still be friends even if you didn't host the party at all.
Not sure what you mean. You don't pay for friends when you pay your fraternity/sorority dues each month. Like many others have explained before, the money goes towards funding events for everyone. No particular person or small group of members will horde the money.

I think the greek experience varies depending on the school. I went to a commuter school and wanted to get the full college experience so I joined a fraternity. Outside of the greek community, things were pretty quiet, so fraternity life really spiced up college for me. I don't regret for a second joining up. This isn't to say some of my best friends weren't independents (non greek), or that I got along with EVERYONE in my chapter.

I wasn't even that serious about fraternities, but I recognize the benefits of joining one. Not everyone joins fraternity/sorority to party. It's not surprising to find a couple guys in any given chapter not drink alcohol either.

Greek life isn't for everyone, but it's not as bad as people make it seem. I feel it's a lot like law enforcement. The majority of members are probably decent people, but the loud brash acts of a few douches give everyone a bad image.

SAE Cal Alpha Beta

Last edited by Kroy; 10-04-2010 at 07:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 08:43 PM   #48
aut0sh0cker
meh
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997.2 C4S

Quote:
So why exactly should we be promoting an advancement system based on nepotism rather than merit? The REAL question that these stats beg is how much better off would this country be if the positions were filled by men qualified by merit. The stats are just as good evidence of our country's stagnation as our country's purported greatness.
You're right, but I think you missed the point of my statement. Fraternities do not breed nepotism any more than any other group of friends does. It's a way to connect with like-minded individuals much in the way that any other club or organization is. That's part of the reason why each chapter of each fraternity is a different group entirely.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 08:53 PM   #49
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
I swear to god I wish I was just as ignorant of proper use of statistics as some people. Those stats, if true, say NOTHING about the fraternal members in those positions qualifications and merit. Additionally, they are in no way indicative of our country's supposed "stagnation"
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 09:47 PM   #50
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: Lion

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
you guys pay monthly dues? i only pay yearly
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 11:01 PM   #51
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopealle View Post
you guys pay monthly dues? i only pay yearly
It's all been monthly from what I've seen in college. I'm actually thinking about joining Free Masons or something of that sort. But haven't done any research. Not in a hurry though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aut0sh0cker View Post
You're right, but I think you missed the point of my statement. Fraternities do not breed nepotism any more than any other group of friends does. It's a way to connect with like-minded individuals much in the way that any other club or organization is. That's part of the reason why each chapter of each fraternity is a different group entirely.
+1 Each chapter really can be much different than the next. Also agree that fraternities don't breed any more nepotism than a church group, club or sports team.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 06:48 PM   #52
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:

I think you are mistaken on what poeple actually pay for in Fraternities. A very large portion of it is just maintenance and supplies. Which would cost the same no matter what, but cheaper due to bulk.

Also, I know many people that became affiliated because of people in a Fraternity that they already knew. You also get to know the people before you have to pay anything via pledging or associate membership, all free.

Though, If you are prejudice against it or just don't really know about it fully, we won't ever agree.
      10-05-2010, 06:52 PM   #53
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

One other thought, without pointing fingers.

I wonder how many people that share a negative impression of Fraternities pay for online dating services.

In the end, money opens doors regardless of how it is used or not used.
      10-06-2010, 10:55 AM   #54
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
I swear to god I wish I was just as ignorant of proper use of statistics as some people. Those stats, if true, say NOTHING about the fraternal members in those positions qualifications and merit. Additionally, they are in no way indicative of our country's supposed "stagnation"
+1. Correllation does not imply causation. Although, I agree our political system sucks, the cause of it is not shown by these stats.

I have met a few cool frat/sorority people but for the most part they are idiots. Everyone has a different personal experience I guess, the people that like frats just like them cause they are "like minded"...

<flame suit>
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 11:50 AM   #55
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

$17,214.48 every month can be attributed to the connections I made through joining a fraternity in College.. Say what you will, but unless you are a part of one, you are speaking from a point of ignorance. You can sit here and talk shit about the people in fraternities. The full year I spent in ATO, before I transferred schools, was incredible. Constant parties, always something to do or someone to talk to.

If i needed help with an assignment there were people there to help. Yes it was cliquey, yes there were assholes, but who gives a fuck there are people like that no matter where you are. You stick with the people you connect with. I will tell you one thing though. If I asked any of them for help with anything, and I mean anything, they would have dropped what they were doing and came to my aid. I would have done the same for them.

We all went through the same "process" to become brothers and that is what it comes down to. A shared experience that bound us together. Something a person who turned their nose up at frat life will never understand.

Not to mention, I got laid whenever I felt like it. Imagine walking into your room during a party and finding a girl in your bed that has been planning to go to the party and sneak into your room just to fuck you. Not talking about a girlfriend, I am talking about some girl I might have smiled at or hit on at some point in the past. It was incredible.

My views are based on a school of about 2000 people, in the middle of no where. There was no social life on campus outside the frat houses. That's it. We ran shit, and I am proud to say I am an Alpha Tau Omega.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 12:00 PM   #56
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
^ Point taken. At larger schools, many of the same connections can be made and just as good of parties thrown without frat affiliation.

Is that $17k figure revenue or profit. Oh he got banned...wonder what he did

Last edited by BTM; 10-06-2010 at 03:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 12:25 PM   #57
Heinzftw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

Greek life was shut down some years ago here, slowely coming back but not worth it yet.
(Boise State University)

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 12:34 PM   #58
Seabiscuit
Aequitas Veritas
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinzftw View Post
Greek life was shut down some years ago here, slowely coming back but not worth it yet.
(Boise State University)
All of greek life was shut down?

wtf did they do
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 12:54 PM   #59
Heinzftw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabiscuit View Post
All of greek life was shut down?

wtf did they do
Ermm theres just rumors but as far as I know we used to have a pretty big greek life here. Absolutely nothing compared to University of Idaho but who the hell would wanna go there.

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0