E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 335i Reliability and mistake of buying it.

01-14-2013, 03:16 PM   #133
thomsomc
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

Scared

I'm looking at a 2007 335xi Sedan with 67k miles. Obviously not a CPO, but it's selling for 20k, which seems reasonable. However, it's only reasonable if the car doesn't cost at least 5k at the shop over the 3+ years I own it.

I'm taking it to an Indy BMW shop for an inspection prior to purchase. No matter what they say about the shape of the car, is it suicide to buy a non-CPO 335xi?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 04:55 PM   #134
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomsomc View Post
I'm looking at a 2007 335xi Sedan with 67k miles. Obviously not a CPO, but it's selling for 20k, which seems reasonable. However, it's only reasonable if the car doesn't cost at least 5k at the shop over the 3+ years I own it.

I'm taking it to an Indy BMW shop for an inspection prior to purchase. No matter what they say about the shape of the car, is it suicide to buy a non-CPO 335xi?
I can't imagine it being less than that. See post 113. Maybe you'll get lucky. My car had 87,000 Km's (55,000 miles).

Last edited by 335BBS; 01-14-2013 at 08:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 05:02 PM   #135
thomsomc
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BBS View Post
I can't imagine it being less than that. See post 113. Maybe you'll get lucky. My car had 87,000 Kim's (55,000 miles).
Oh, thanks for converting for me - I didn't think you might have meant km!

So, update, I might have just turned the tables in favor of the purchase - I called the last BMW dealer it was serviced at based on the records in the glovebox and wouldn't you know - it's actually still under CPO warranty until August! Which also means I qualify for the extended-extended BMW warranties, right? So I can basically buy the car at $20k and decide in August "how much I want to certify it" beyond that date?

With this info, is it now a much better purchase? Or am I now just buying a wonderful car that will spend most of its time in a bay at the BMW dealer?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 10:03 PM   #136
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

So you can sense anger from posts........then go re-read your own post you will be pretty good at sensing how ignorant and childish you sounded.

Wow and the reply below sounds like you are repeating yourself like a parrot.......i realized how I wasted my time replying to you twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BBS View Post
Why so angry? just posting my experience and opinion. My point is when you buy one of these things you KNOW for a fact that these problems will occur. In the case of the injectors they usually go 2 or 3 at a time and that's how they repair them instead of all at once when the first problem arises.
Carpet overriding accelerator may cause unintended accel but that was not a manufacturers problem. I don't care to compare BMW to anyone.....couldn't care any less.
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.

Last edited by Kayani_1; 01-15-2013 at 09:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 10:08 PM   #137
E92GRL
@E92GRL
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 // E92 // E39-sold

BMWs are known for their high maintenance record. Coming from a honda or vw any average car.. it shouldn't shock you. You have to take care of these cars...
      01-16-2013, 09:02 AM   #138
xlid007
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

My friend I feel your pain. I've always driven Jap cars and my 335i has been a nightmare since I bought it. It's been in the shop more times then any of my other 12+ jap cars that I've had combined. I've only owned the car for 2 months and I've had to replace Valve cover gasket, Oil housing gaskets, thermostat and top radiator hose. I regret not jumping on the G37 I was going to buy, and instead bought this 335i. I mean I love cars and I keep on top of them with all the maintenance but this car is unreliable as hell. I hope It can go for another 2 years without any issues so I can get rid of it.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 09:24 AM   #139
Jgcdude1
the bees knees!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i E93

Garage List
2003 E46 325Ci  [0.00]
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
2011 E93 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowSwede View Post
Reliability=japanese cars

The more soul your car has, the more error prone it will be.
Expanding on that logic must mean the Yugo was the most soulful car ever made.

CA

Hahaha
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 09:25 AM   #140
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Genesis Sedan Rspec

OP,

I agree.

I also believe the bmw was a perfect driving car compared to all others in my past. Performance, handling, balance and a good dose of luxury.... however the constant trips to the dealer, the large repair and maintenance bills... mostly the return trips. I knew what to expect for maintenance charges.

However all that being said i didnt expect, injectors to go bad, plugs to be tired at 30k, near future Water pump and gasket problems, vibrations in steering, rattles in car, 5MPG less gas mileage from start, nasty carbon deposits, 3 HPFPs, electronic gremlins, oil in intercooler, waste gate rattles, the list goes on. My bmw was back at the shop 60 days after purchase and damn near every two months after that for mostly BS items and then whenever the maintenance was required too !

My Genesis has been trouble free since August 2012. Whatever i miss with the bmw is replaced with a multitude of other items on the Hyundai.

ppp
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 09:30 AM   #141
BMWSOZE
Smooth Operator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine24 View Post
There's your problem, your in Canada....
LMAO, I need a Colbert reference!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 11:47 AM   #142
marine24
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by greye90 View Post
Yes as a ME, I can understand and appreciate the complexity of this beast. But I'm sure you can appreciate that a company; in addition to producing the Ultimate Driving Machine, should also be in the Pursuit of Excellence. So they don't manufacture thousands of cars(n54), prior to complete life cycle testing and need to recall them afterwards, or have to produce a second gen N55. Surely BMW had enough N54 test mules that they could have inferred that HPFP, water pumps, rubber components, injectors, turbos etc will fail. I do enjoy working on cars-sometimes. But being a mechanic for many years working on other peoples stuff has kind of jaded my enthusiasm for mechanical repair; especially when it shouldn't be broken and I'm not getting paid hourly.
You also need to remember that most of those parts are out sourced other companies. When you make thousands of the same piece your going to have some that get through quality control. This is a GLOBAL company that produces mass quantities of cars, and the only ones you hear of are the handful, in comparison to the quantity that they produce, that have problems. My 335i has over 98k on it and I haven't had a single problem with it. Also remember that they're in the business to make a profit, so if they is a problem they have to weigh the number of faults against the cost of a recall. It's just a business in the end.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 07:16 PM   #143
Rudeboy
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

I had to stem the bleeding of my pockets by trading in my 2008 335i with less than 50k miles. I've owned a lot of cars and none have given me this much trouble. I put up with the constant back and fourth to the dealer because the car was under warranty but when the warranty ended the problems escalated. The final issue is that I will need a new transmission which the SA said would cost me $7500.00. With all that said it was the best driving machine i've owned except for the new 2013 Audi S4 in my driveway!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 07:40 AM   #144
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudebway View Post
I had to stem the bleeding of my pockets by trading in my 2008 335i with less than 50k miles. I've owned a lot of cars and none have given me this much trouble. I put up with the constant back and fourth to the dealer because the car was under warranty but when the warranty ended the problems escalated. The final issue is that I will need a new transmission which the SA said would cost me $7500.00. With all that said it was the best driving machine i've owned except for the new 2013 Audi S4 in my driveway!
Same as me . Too scared to drive it out of warranty.......went back to Audi. Never again.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 08:02 AM   #145
twerle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 - MW / SO / Manual

I also have a 335xi, the issue is just how many times it breaks but how much $ it depreciates.

If you want be smart, buy a honda civic, same space, reliable, u will loose 1k per year and not 5k+ per year on depreciation.

Bmw sucks, but they are deam goood to drive!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 11:03 AM   #146
malicem3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mso4 View Post
I'm pretty sure a Lexus is just as complex as a BMW. My currently '13 GS 350 has park assist, lane departure, magnetic suspension, and a host of things my previous '07 335i didn't have. I've only had it for 5k miles. Yet I'm pretty confident this thing will hold up 10x better than any BMW.

The fact is, BMW is UNABLE to make reliable cars. If they could, don't you think they would. So please stop all this nonsense (cool-aid) about how sophisticated cars are less reliable.

Now knowing all the above, I had a more realistic expectations of my '07 335i when I purchased it. I knew I would visit the dealer often, and that it would not be built like a tank (turbos replaced, fuel pump, and multiple seal leaks). I made sure I had extended warranty. And finally made sure to sell it before the warranty expired (100k mi).

As for that mystic BMW driving dynamic. I'm happy to say Lexus has found the secret in their '13 GS. After driving the GS350 for the past 5 months, I do not miss the 335i at all. It handles just as well as the 335i, but it rides 10x better. I absolutely love it. And knowing I can drive this puppy beyond 100k miles is just icing on the cake.
Speaking of koolaid? GS350 handling better than a 3 series. Nope.

Edit: I read your later posts. Disregard the koolaid comment, you seem logical.

Last edited by malicem3; 01-17-2013 at 11:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 11:06 AM   #147
malicem3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3

Also, let's remember only people with issues come to the forum to complain and the majority, whether they like to admit it or not, here drive their cars a lot harder than the average owner. I for one baby my car, no point in driving hard even if your car is more than capable. If you want to, be prepared to shell out more time and money.

Last edited by malicem3; 01-17-2013 at 11:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 12:34 PM   #148
DVaughan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi

Okay... I have read (more than) enough and now I can't help but question my own sanity...

I bought a brand spanking new 2011 335xi about 14 months ago. I am absolutely in love with the thing. I have put about 16K miles on it with not so much as a hint of trouble. I don't drive it too hard but no doubt I did buy it knowing it would be fun to drive. I have indeed had a little fun. The bottom line is that I am 51 years old not 21 years old... and I drive like a "grown up".

I just put almost 3,000 miles on it, over a nearly 2 week period, in a single road trip vacation. It was the best time I have ever spent in a car... while driving that is . I "shadowed" an Audi A6 for almost an hour and never got below 110 mph on I-80 west of Salt Lake City. I swear the 335 felt like it was cruising at half that speed. It ran cool and effortless for our entire trip. Despite more than a few miles of 100 mph driving we averaged over 26 MPG for the 12 days.

I live about 250 miles from the nearest BMW dealer and 350 miles from where I bought the car. I plan on taking it in for ALL routine maintenance whenever it needs it. I am not the richest guy in the world but I can afford to maintain the car I own... I think. I am not a mechanic and don't have any plan on being one. Am I nuts to think that this car won't bite me in the ass? I see some horrible stories here. Clearly people love to bitch and maybe that's is all I am reading in this thread but there are bound to be happy stories out there that aren't being told.

What are the percentages of "horror vs. happy"?

Much of what I see here seems to be N54 related... Does an N55 make my chances of being happy go up?

For the record my other car is a 1978 Fiat 124 Spyder. If you want a finicky sports car look no further. I have one delightfully sporty little headache and I am hoping that the BMW is not going to be a 2nd one. Truth be told I love both cars for very different reasons.

I suppose I can always ask a dealer this question... but... can you add on an extended warranty after the fact?

Thanks,

Darren
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 01:04 PM   #149
morphius909
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 Xi Special Edition-JB

my 2011 335xi N55 PPK2'd/PE baby purrs like a kitten.

I'm a bit surprised considering all the "horror" stories.

I am 37 so I don't bang the crap out of it. No car will survive that.

2011 335i X Drive Special Edition-Jerez Black
35% Tint All Around / 3M Rockguard / Weathertech/ PPK2 / 18&12mm Spacers/Lux H8 V3
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 01:06 PM   #150
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
So you can sense anger from posts........then go re-read your own post you will be pretty good at sensing how ignorant and childish you sounded.

Wow and the reply below sounds like you are repeating yourself like a parrot.......i realized how I wasted my time replying to you twice.
How old are you? Youre off topic....
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #151
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVaughan View Post
Okay... I have read (more than) enough and now I can't help but question my own sanity...

I bought a brand spanking new 2011 335xi about 14 months ago. I am absolutely in love with the thing. I have put about 16K miles on it with not so much as a hint of trouble. I don't drive it too hard but no doubt I did buy it knowing it would be fun to drive. I have indeed had a little fun. The bottom line is that I am 51 years old not 21 years old... and I drive like a "grown up".

I just put almost 3,000 miles on it, over a nearly 2 week period, in a single road trip vacation. It was the best time I have ever spent in a car... while driving that is . I "shadowed" an Audi A6 for almost an hour and never got below 110 mph on I-80 west of Salt Lake City. I swear the 335 felt like it was cruising at half that speed. It ran cool and effortless for our entire trip. Despite more than a few miles of 100 mph driving we averaged over 26 MPG for the 12 days.

I live about 250 miles from the nearest BMW dealer and 350 miles from where I bought the car. I plan on taking it in for ALL routine maintenance whenever it needs it. I am not the richest guy in the world but I can afford to maintain the car I own... I think. I am not a mechanic and don't have any plan on being one. Am I nuts to think that this car won't bite me in the ass? I see some horrible stories here. Clearly people love to bitch and maybe that's is all I am reading in this thread but there are bound to be happy stories out there that aren't being told.

What are the percentages of "horror vs. happy"?

Much of what I see here seems to be N54 related... Does an N55 make my chances of being happy go up?

For the record my other car is a 1978 Fiat 124 Spyder. If you want a finicky sports car look no further. I have one delightfully sporty little headache and I am hoping that the BMW is not going to be a 2nd one. Truth be told I love both cars for very different reasons.

I suppose I can always ask a dealer this question... but... can you add on an extended warranty after the fact?

Thanks,

Darren
Same thing happened when I first got my 335....I started following this forum and getting paranoid. Its like a car wreck..you don't want to look but you do. Unfortunately I had lots of problems but i'm sure the vast majority doesnt/won't. Steady 110......beautiful.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 01:31 PM   #152
SavvyByNature
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 - SO M4

Lemme ask you guys this. Why is it that BMWs are unreliable in regards to other manufacturers? Don't get me wrong, I love'em, but they can engineer/manufacture their cars to be more reliable. Many brands FI their vehicles with minor problems. Even w/ my DSM, I never had a turbo/gasket/engine problems. I had transmission problems, but that's another story.

At times, I wonder if they under build certain parts to fail within a certain tolerance. Coming from working on the Corporate side of Hyundai, I do know they factor these things into their estimations of future profit on the maintenance side.
      01-18-2013, 10:42 AM   #153
CitrusE92
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Coupe - Blk/Blk

Garage List
2011 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVaughan View Post

Another VERY satisfied 2011 335i owner, here.

Love the feeling of cruising down the highway at 90-100 with no jitters whatsoever.

Love the handling, whether it's in the mountain twisties, or the long highway sweepers.

Love the power.

Great car!

I'm 42 and have beat the piss out of my share of cars, but it seems like with the 335, it you're nice to it, it's nice to you. I dont really need to beat it up to go fast.

By the way, I bought this vehicle as a lemon law buyback (HPFP), so I was extra nervous. Not a single hiccup so far.
      01-18-2013, 02:21 PM   #154
GA335i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

I have a 2007 with 60k miles on it and I have to admit that I'm getting a little paranoid about it now that the CPO warranty is out. I've replaced the HPFP twice in the 3 years I've had it and the angel eyes twice. And living an hour away from the nearest BMW dealer isn't very practical when something does go wrong.
Appreciate 0