E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Test Drive Insurance?

07-17-2010, 02:42 AM   #23
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X70 on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliesum View Post
i wanted to test drive the x5m for weekend unaccompanied, which for £250 you could do (when it first came out to see what it was like)
£250 cost of weekend - refundable on order of car.
my insurance wouldnt cover me as i didnt own the vehicle.
On their insurance i had to pay £5000 excess if their was a claim so i politely refused the test drive.
i got money back off the x5 d i ordered out of goodwill.
always ask to see the insurance form then you know what your in for.
Wow - £5000 excess!

I reckon there be a sticky put at the top of this forum.

BEFORE YOU TEST DRIVE A CAR..........
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2010, 03:13 AM   #24
ibanezking
Weekend Rockstar
England
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

My daugther had a hire car while hers was repaired last year and they phoned up the day after it was returned and said there was a huge crack in the windscreen and it was upto her to cover the cost.

Some woman kept phoning her, bullying her into making card payment over the phone threatening legal action etc..........

I told Emma, next time she phoned, that could she please provide her with the paperwork to show the vehicle condition before and after her period of hire with her signature on it..............

Didn't hear from them again!

Max

To the OP.......... reverse sensors go to CONTINUOUS beep even when you're still about 10-12 inches away
When you're in an unfamiliar car - you wouldn't drive past the fast beep, just before it goes to continuous..........
      07-17-2010, 04:06 AM   #25
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

My first observation on this subject is why are they asking you to pay for the damage and not the insurance excess. The dealer has a duty to ensure they take you out in an insured car...either they claim off the insurance OR it wasn't insured, so which is it? If it wasn't insured then, harsh at is for them, thats their problem not yours...but if that is the case then count yourself lucky you didn't have an accident and injure a 3rd party as it may then have been your problem!

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert in this but, if you didn't sign anything at the start saying you were liable for any costs or excess and if you didn't confirm the condition of the car before you went out, then regardless of whether you did the damage or not, it's not your problem.

I'm not an unreasonable person but they're trying to get money out of you without having completed the necessary paperwork up front to make sure YOU knew what the risks were. Therefore, I would personally dig my heals in and also would definitely go to another dealer if you want to buy a BMW - this is no way to treat a potential customer. I know you said you know people at the dealer but come on...if you buy a car from them after they've attempted to do this then how will they learn that this isn't how to treat customers.

Of course, all of the above would be irrelevant and it would be entirely reasonable to expect you to pay for the damage (or, more specifically the insurance excess) if they did explain the risk before you went on your test drive and you signed documentation to confirm you understood it.

I remember an instance when I was younger went with my dad on a test drive of a BMW 325i (back in 1995, it was an e36). My dad crashed the car and put it in a ditch and it was entirely his fault for driving too fast on a wet road...yet the dealer, Blue Bell in Crewe, didn't charge a thing.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2010, 04:23 AM   #26
CHG
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A Variety of 4 Wheeled Things

Excess for most garages is £500
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2010, 01:19 PM   #27
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezking View Post
My daugther had a hire car while hers was repaired last year and they phoned up the day after it was returned and said there was a huge crack in the windscreen and it was upto her to cover the cost.

Some woman kept phoning her, bullying her into making card payment over the phone threatening legal action etc..........

I told Emma, next time she phoned, that could she please provide her with the paperwork to show the vehicle condition before and after her period of hire with her signature on it..............

Didn't hear from them again!

Max

To the OP.......... reverse sensors go to CONTINUOUS beep even when you're still about 10-12 inches away
When you're in an unfamiliar car - you wouldn't drive past the fast beep, just before it goes to continuous..........
I have a 335d and it was continuous for quite a while as it was very narrow gap between 2 minis. I have a 335d so know the parking sensors
But my fault was that i was paying attention to the drivers side and the wall finished in the middle of the car so i didn't see the wall in the drivers side mirror as i was going back and trying not to hit the mini. They showed me the damage and the wall etc. It all lined up so my fault for sure. They offered to show me CCTV etc.

Totally understand what some are saying about telling them to stuff it etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2010, 01:24 PM   #28
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

I have to say I admire your pragmatic and honest attitude, I like to think I am the same as you. At least they will effectively give you the £250 back if/when you order a new car.

Honesty is a hugely admirable quality, sadly lacking in many parts of our society.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2010, 01:40 PM   #29
Oli
Campervan man
Rep
Drives: RS3 and VW Kombi

So are you saying you didn't hear or feel the car hitting the wall???

Genuine VW T5 California Rental
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2010, 04:28 PM   #30
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
And the salesman watching you back didn't see or hear you hit it either? I admire your honesty, it just seems very odd.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2010, 04:35 PM   #31
Oli
Campervan man
Rep
Drives: RS3 and VW Kombi

Smells a bit fishy to me!

Genuine VW T5 California Rental
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2010, 05:06 PM   #32
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli View Post
So are you saying you didn't hear or feel the car hitting the wall???
Honestly no. If i had i would have said so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parapaul View Post
And the salesman watching you back didn't see or hear you hit it either? I admire your honesty, it just seems very odd.
He was at the front of the car across the car park - watch either side of the car. Making sure i didn't hit the minis either side.

Nothing odd about it apart from me being an idiot and not asking what the insurance coverage was, and also not getting out the car and letting the salesman park the car.

My reason for posting was not to shirk my responsibility, but to highlight the insurance aspect to someone like myself who has never thought to ask before.
Appreciate 0