E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Bluetooth Retrofit: E90 335i with iDrive, Phone prep, Voice control, and USB

07-06-2012, 05:11 PM   #45
keith27ro
Rep
Drives: 2008 bmw 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith27ro View Post
i can not remove the pins from the white connector behind glove box so i can rewired mic,also i only got 5 wires,yellow black,gray with stripe,no white wire
do i need a speeker or this retrofit will work trough my car speekers?
thanks
ok,got it done
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 05:05 PM   #46
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
ok so I got this antenna

and this is the connector, the same as the one on the left is in my footwell, it's not a single pin but looks like fiber-optic kind...

there is no way this will connect!! I am writing you a pm
      07-07-2012, 09:45 PM   #47
lazd
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Hey Cbozz, the Bluetooth antenna cable is the one with the purple connector, written in the guide as "black and purple FAKRA connector" (sorry for lack of pictures on that step).

If you don't have the purple connector, then I'm afraid your car is not wired and you must wire it yourself (leaving the antenna in the trunk). If you do have the purple connector, take a photo of it plugged in and I'll add it to the original post.

Thanks, and good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 09:57 PM   #48
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazd View Post
Hey Cbozz, the Bluetooth antenna cable is the one with the purple connector, written in the guide as "black and purple FAKRA connector" (sorry for lack of pictures on that step).

If you don't have the purple connector, then I'm afraid your car is not wired and you must wire it yourself (leaving the antenna in the trunk). If you do have the purple connector, take a photo of it plugged in and I'll add it to the original post.

Thanks, and good luck!
yes, please. let me see it and if you could also show me where to find it in there because I didn't see any other loose cables..
      07-10-2012, 12:17 AM   #49
Al Pleske
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Cabrolet

E93 Retrofit

HELP!!! this is driving me crazy. I am still looking for anyone who has tried this retrofit on an E93. Some of the steps are the same but I am having trouble with getting the mic wires sorted out.

The bluetooth antenna is in the same place - I have installed the antenna and modified the plug as per the previous post and made the connection at the MULF.

The mic on an E93 is located in the steering colum - not over head in the FZD as in the other E90s - I have installed the mic.

Prior to installation I tried using an ohm meter to confirm the mic wires are continous from the colum location to the plug in the trunk. In previous posts rewiring the plug behind the glove box is necessary but in my case the wires must take a different route to the trunk. The 10 pin natural colored plug is there (behind the glove box) but the yellow and black wires are not present. The yellow and black mic wires at the colum lead into the main wire harness and I have no idea where they go from there.

All that is left is to get the mic connected to the MULF and I would like to try and use the existing wiring - worst case I guess I have to add new wires from the mic to the MULF. Anyone have ideas on where they may go?

I have ahd the car recoded and everything works - I can pair a phone and dial out but no one can hear me so obviously I need to find where I do not have a connection - there has to be a plug somewhere that needs to be re-pinned

First picture is of the mic plug in the colum (yellow and black wires)
Second picture is of the glove box plug (no yellow and black wires)
Attached Images

Last edited by Al Pleske; 10-24-2012 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: added pictures
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 07:30 AM   #50
keith27ro
Rep

Quote:
The retrofit was successful. I now have Bluetooth with excellent audio quality, parts in the stock location, and all of this with stock equipment and without splicing, soldering, or running any wires.

Thanks to Grant at detalADDICT and everyone whose post I cited above. I hope my post above helps someone else accomplish this retrofit!

Edit: Mod, please move this thread to the DIY section if it meets the criteria.
Thanks a lot la LAZD,I did the retrofit,thanks to your post and saved a lot of money
Got the coding done in Sacramento at EU-TECH
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 11:01 AM   #51
lazd
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks a lot la LAZD,I did the retrofit,thanks to your post and saved a lot of money
Got the coding done in Sacramento at EU-TECH
You're welcome Keith! You wouldn't believe it, Ray, the tech that did your coding, is a friend of mine and texted me saying you came in with the writeup from the forums with my name on it. Definitely had a good laugh

Enjoy your BT!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 09:47 PM   #52
keith27ro
Rep

Quote:
You're welcome Keith! You wouldn't believe it, Ray, the tech that did your coding, is a friend of mine and texted me saying you came in with the writeup from the forums with my name on it. Definitely had a good laugh

Enjoy your BT!
Yeah , Ray was cool, he saw your name on the print out, he said that you are he's friend and he was the only guy in Sacramento that was willing to try to do the coding, I called lots of independent shops nobody knew how to do it
2 BMW dealers said that it is impossible to do the coding and the retrofit won't work anyway and that will only work with a TCU+mic+Bluetooth antena+coding+labor=$2900
It cost me $32 for mic, $41 for Bluetooth antena and $120 coding =$193
So,again thanks a lot for posting the instructions that helped me and others do this retro fit
I owe you a beer!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 11:16 PM   #53
lazd
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah , Ray was cool, he saw your name on the print out, he said that you are he's friend and he was the only guy in Sacramento that was willing to try to do the coding, I called lots of independent shops nobody knew how to do it
2 BMW dealers said that it is impossible to do the coding and the retrofit won't work anyway and that will only work with a TCU+mic+Bluetooth antena+coding+labor=$2900
It cost me $32 for mic, $41 for Bluetooth antena and $120 coding =$193
So,again thanks a lot for posting the instructions that helped me and others do this retro fit
I owe you a beer!
Yeah man, it's a smaller world than we know. Glad they took care of you and glad the guide helped! This is what forums are all about.

I was going to have Ray do the coding for me as well, we even discussed what was necessary and he knew exactly how to code it, but I couldn't get up to Sac for a few weeks and was anxious to get BT working once I had all the parts, so I had Greg @ detailADDICT do it.

I'll definitely take you up on that beer next time I'm up in Sac town
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 08:28 PM   #54
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Hey I just got my car coded and the telephone option came up in the menu, the only thing is that when I go into the telephone menu the menu gets stuck in 'please wait loading screen' and I expertmode flashed NFRM, CAS, CIC. But MULF2 doesn't respond....I'm going to let me car sit for a day without turning it on while I'm at work..maybe that will help, but if not...does anybody know what the issue might be?
      08-01-2012, 04:12 AM   #55
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 318i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbozz View Post
Hey I just got my car coded and the telephone option came up in the menu, the only thing is that when I go into the telephone menu the menu gets stuck in 'please wait loading screen' and I expertmode flashed NFRM, CAS, CIC. But MULF2 doesn't respond....I'm going to let me car sit for a day without turning it on while I'm at work..maybe that will help, but if not...does anybody know what the issue might be?
I would suggest you use Revtor's profile and do a blank MAN file coding for the CIC. this is not a recommended method but it does reset the module completely to get things to work.

I had encountered issues when doing the bluetooth retrofit as well until I did the blank MAN file coding for my 2RAD professional radio. Also encountered problems with my auto dim side mirror retrofit coding until I did the same thing.

Just to be safe, do a read out of your CIC and save it somewhere before doing the blank MAN file coding so that you can restore the settings if necessary.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 10:02 AM   #56
E90PAT
SOFLO CODING
Slovenia
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoozee View Post
I would suggest you use Revtor's profile and do a blank MAN file coding for the CIC. this is not a recommended method but it does reset the module completely to get things to work.

I had encountered issues when doing the bluetooth retrofit as well until I did the blank MAN file coding for my 2RAD professional radio. Also encountered problems with my auto dim side mirror retrofit coding until I did the same thing.

Just to be safe, do a read out of your CIC and save it somewhere before doing the blank MAN file coding so that you can restore the settings if necessary.
I was going to use Revtors profile but we already called it a day. I hear people speak against empty MAN files religiously. You think reading and just sg_code >> execute job should be enough?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 12:11 PM   #57
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90PAT View Post
I was going to use Revtors profile but we already called it a day. I hear people speak against empty MAN files religiously. You think reading and just sg_code >> execute job should be enough?
What is a disadvantage of the blank MAN files tho?
      08-01-2012, 04:57 PM   #58
Bluesnake01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 335i Sedan, 6AT

Just the perfect thread!!!
Exactly what I was looking for, O.P you're a lifesaver!
Quick question though, I have the iDrive and the voice command feature alas no other options (phone, etc).
Now someone mentioned on not needing to rewire the microphone or add a new one since it is possible to use the voice command microphone. Another person said YOU DO need to rewire, so which is it?

Also, anyone know someone who will do BMW coding in or near Los Angeles?

Quick details
09 335i iDrive, Nav, no phone settings, no satellite, USB in center console, Voice Control available.

This is my first post on this forum and im already loving it!! Any help will be appreciated!!
      08-02-2012, 12:16 AM   #59
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90PAT View Post
when i did my retrofit, i kept using the expert profile and code the modules for 2 weeks and also fiddled with tool32 but can't get it working. finally tried revtor's profile with blank man file and that solved the problem.

it's not the correct way of coding since changing VOs is "supposed" to use only expert profile. i'm not an expert in the BMW tools so i'm not sure why blank MAN file coding is "wrong". maybe there's some kind of risks involved in doing that since blank MAN file coding is supposed to get the module to reset to default settings. but if you're tried all methods and steps are all correct and still can't get it working, this should be a last resort to try and see if it works.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 12:01 PM   #60
gjimmy
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesnake01 View Post
Just the perfect thread!!!
Exactly what I was looking for, O.P you're a lifesaver!
Quick question though, I have the iDrive and the voice command feature alas no other options (phone, etc).
Now someone mentioned on not needing to rewire the microphone or add a new one since it is possible to use the voice command microphone. Another person said YOU DO need to rewire, so which is it?

Also, anyone know someone who will do BMW coding in or near Los Angeles?

Quick details
09 335i iDrive, Nav, no phone settings, no satellite, USB in center console, Voice Control available.

This is my first post on this forum and im already loving it!! Any help will be appreciated!!
Did you ever resolve this? I think you and I have the same setups in our cars. I have been looking to do this project for a while but it is hard to figure out exactly what I need (some say you need another mic, some say you don't) and there don't seem to be coders in LA (which seems strange given all the BMWs here!)

I may do the package from Bimmertech with the remote coding although it is 400.

Anyone have any info on coders in LA?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #61
lazd
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjimmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesnake
Some say you need another mic, some say you don't.
You do not need to purchase a new mic if you already have voice control. However, you need to rewire the microphone connector behind the glovebox so your existing voice control mic can be used for Bluetooth as well.

When the wiring in the tunk and the coding were complete, I could make calls, but the other side could not hear me. After I rewired the connector behind glovebox, they could hear me. The pins are already there, but not in the right slots of the connector, so you just rearrange the pins on one side of the connecter. No cutting or soldering and it works perfectly. The guide in this thread shows how to do this.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 02:02 AM   #62
gjimmy
Rep

Is there any quality difference in my built in Voice-Command mic vs the Bluetooth mic? I assume they are the same, but you never know.

It seems like this should be pretty easy for me to do. If I am following all this correctly it seems I only need:

1. Bluetooth antenna (connect and leave in trunk near MULF unit).
1a. cable to connect mic to MULF unit.
2. Re-pin the mic connector behind the glovebox
3. Coding

Does that sound correct? Seems like this should be a pretty inexpensive retrofit, provided I don't screw anything up!

My biggest problem is finding coding in the Los Angeles area. I have only found coders in the Bay area. I will keep digging.

thanks for all the help on this thread, it has been invaluable!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #63
beton6
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 MW/BB ZCP

Hey guys,

I have an 11 e92 M3 and followed everything on here, I have voice command and as other have stated, now that I can connect, the other side wont hear me with the cars mic.

I only have 1 yellow, 1 black and 1 clear cable behind the glove box, and they are all in the pins that the diagram says, so what do you think Iam missing here?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 10:42 PM   #64
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Hey guys, new BMW owner here so pardon my lack of basic mod knowledge in some spots. I've got an E90 2009 328i produced in July. Seems like this is AFTER the cutoff for S640A, but I'm not certain. What I'm confused by is my current harness lineup. I've got the "MULF2 - High Basis SVS" and I believe Sat Radio harness that laze has, but no other harnesses in the trunk. What I'm confused by is that I don't have the bluetooth antenna nor FZD mounted microphone, which is normal, but I don't seen to have the harness plugs for them either. I can't anywhere find a tied back coax connector in the pedal trim, nor a tied back connector for a mic.

So my questions are A, are those two connectors I seem to be missing (mic and pedal trim coax) part of the S640A option which isn't installed on my car, or am I just daft and can't find them and in either case B. what do I need to complete this setup and get bluetooth functioning? Do I only need the mic and antenna? Do I need the wiring harness (and if so, where do I find the part number and installation doc? Is it a REPLACEMENT harness that would require redoing everything else as well?)? I THINK my current config is most similar to gjimmy, so insight from you would be super helpful.

Also, if I don't have S640A, why do I have the MULF2 in the trunk? What function does it serve if not the bluetooth integration? I do have USB in the center console (that seems to be useless, friggin iPhones don't work) if that has anything to do with it.

Finally, my understanding from LAZD's guide is that the free coax cable in my trunk goes to the pedal trim and can be used for bluetooth. But my understanding is that the coax in my trunk is actually part of the sat radio harness, in which case, why would it go to the pedal trim? What am I missing here?

Hopefully someone's got my similar setup and knows my pain. I have an email in to my dealer, and I'm going to try to call up BMWUSA tomorrow to get a complete options list for my VIN, since I looked under the back seat but the final configuration bill didn't include options codes.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 01:45 AM   #65
gjimmy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
Hey guys, new BMW owner here so pardon my lack of basic mod knowledge in some spots. I've got an E90 2009 328i produced in July. Seems like this is AFTER the cutoff for S640A, but I'm not certain. What I'm confused by is my current harness lineup. I've got the "MULF2 - High Basis SVS" and I believe Sat Radio harness that laze has, but no other harnesses in the trunk. What I'm confused by is that I don't have the bluetooth antenna nor FZD mounted microphone, which is normal, but I don't seen to have the harness plugs for them either. I can't anywhere find a tied back coax connector in the pedal trim, nor a tied back connector for a mic.

So my questions are A, are those two connectors I seem to be missing (mic and pedal trim coax) part of the S640A option which isn't installed on my car, or am I just daft and can't find them and in either case B. what do I need to complete this setup and get bluetooth functioning? Do I only need the mic and antenna? Do I need the wiring harness (and if so, where do I find the part number and installation doc? Is it a REPLACEMENT harness that would require redoing everything else as well?)? I THINK my current config is most similar to gjimmy, so insight from you would be super helpful.

Also, if I don't have S640A, why do I have the MULF2 in the trunk? What function does it serve if not the bluetooth integration? I do have USB in the center console (that seems to be useless, friggin iPhones don't work) if that has anything to do with it.

Finally, my understanding from LAZD's guide is that the free coax cable in my trunk goes to the pedal trim and can be used for bluetooth. But my understanding is that the coax in my trunk is actually part of the sat radio harness, in which case, why would it go to the pedal trim? What am I missing here?

Hopefully someone's got my similar setup and knows my pain. I have an email in to my dealer, and I'm going to try to call up BMWUSA tomorrow to get a complete options list for my VIN, since I looked under the back seat but the final configuration bill didn't include options codes.
It appears you and I are in exactly the same boat. I too have looked for the pre-wired cable in the footwell about the drivers pedals, and it is not there. I believe we have the MULF unit for the USB audio for the iDrive. My iPhone works with mine but you need the black Y-cable, the standard white iPhone cable does not work for me.

Since we both have the same setup maybe we can help each other out. There appears to be a couple ways to do this. This thread has been the most useful I have come across, but there doesn't seem to be many with our exact setups. From what I understand it seems that we just need to get the bluetooth antenna installed (which can be kept in the trunk near the mulf unit, instead of running the cables to the footwell), and also get the mic from the voice command to be re-pinned to be used as the bluetooth mic. The info is a little shaky about what exactly needs to be done and if indeed it really needs to be done.

The other big question mark for me is the coding aspect. Apparently nobody in my area (Los Angeles) does this.

Patryk from Bimmertech has been very helpful and has a kit for about $400 to do this retrofit which he claims is very simple. I haven't been able to make the purchase because it requires remote coding (which would be great) but also requires a 32 bit Windows Laptop. I am a mac user and need to find a laptop to borrow, but most now are 64 bit…so I am a bit stuck.

What are you planning to do for this? Are you in the US?

If I could re-pin the mic and get the antenna and get the coding done somewhere I am sure it could all be done for less than $400. Otherwise I may just spring for the Bimmertech solution and hope for the best.

Good luck and keep me posted.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 04:59 AM   #66
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post

the MULF2 is for your USB functions. iphone doesn't work as the car's software is too old to recognise the iphone. if you have iDrive, you may be able to update the software to recognise iphone. otherwise, the USB port is good enough to plug in a flash drive for mp3 music or charge your iphone.

check your driver side foot well to see if there's any coax cable tucked in somewhere. if there isn't, then you'll need to buy a antenna cable.
check the MULF2 and see if pins 1, 19 and 21 are used. if they are empty, you have no mic wiring at all.

you can check your build via this site.
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/acc...catalogue.html

parts needed for this retrofit for cars without SA640 has been discussed in detail in various threads. you should be able to find the exact part numbers to buy as well. I did my research for a few weeks before buying the parts including the coding cable.

the summary of parts needed
mic in FZD - from BMW
bluetooth antenna - from BMW
bluetooth antenna cable - from eBay (SMB female to SMB female cable)
mic wiring - any 2 core wire or 2 core wire with shielding. about 5 metres needed
BMW wiring pigtails or MQS pins - pigtails can be bought from BMW. for MQS pins, search for one of my earlier posts as as someone managed to buy them in the states.

summary of installation
1. connect bluetooth antenna to MULF2 using the antenna cable (SMB cable)
2. run the mic wire from the FZD location to the trunk
3. terminate the mic wire either using the BMW pigtails or the MQS pins depending on what you have bought
4. connect pin 1 of mic to pin 1 of MULF2. connect pin 2 of mic to pin 19 of MULF2. if you mic cable has shielding, connect the trunk side to pin 21 of the MULF. pin 3 of the mic is left empty
5. code the car and add $664 to the VO list. the radio (2RAD) will need to be coded as well.

i guess i've provided you with enough information for now. search for forum for more details if you need.
Appreciate 0