E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > BMW performance suspension

10-04-2013, 01:34 AM   #1
austinla335d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

BMW performance suspension

Finally got it installed last week and got an alignment done today. My camber and toe was out of whack a little here and there, so I didn't expect much. But driving the car after leaving the alignment shop- what a good feeling! The car is tight and locked and loaded now. Feels like a whole new machine and I truly mean. New. Super tight, feels great and smooth and even has a noticeably absent shimmy in the wheel when slowing down quickly. I'm stoked and had to encourage others- this suspension setup (after the alignment and added camber) is fantastic.

For the record, I went -0.9 front and 2.3 rear with a tiny bit of toe in front (.10) and rear (.15). Super excited to drive it again tomorrow! 30k miles now but it feels brand new.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 06:18 AM   #2
335dFan
Jumping Jack Flash
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinla335d View Post
Finally got it installed last week and got an alignment done today. My camber and toe was out of whack a little here and there, so I didn't expect much. But driving the car after leaving the alignment shop- what a good feeling! The car is tight and locked and loaded now. Feels like a whole new machine and I truly mean. New. Super tight, feels great and smooth and even has a noticeably absent shimmy in the wheel when slowing down quickly. I'm stoked and had to encourage others- this suspension setup (after the alignment and added camber) is fantastic.

For the record, I went -0.9 front and 2.3 rear with a tiny bit of toe in front (.10) and rear (.15). Super excited to drive it again tomorrow! 30k miles now but it feels brand new.
Really glad you are pleased. That makes the expense worth it, eh? I was originally planning to do that suspension mod to my base D until I got carried away. I lived in Los Angeles (Redondo, Lakewood, Torrance) in the dim dark ages (before I could drive) and my brother still lives there near LAX. Seems there are a good number of Ds in SoCal.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 10:47 AM   #3
AzureHaze
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dFan View Post
Seems there are a good number of Ds in SoCal.
Spotting one around here is pretty rare from my experience. I might spot one every couple of months if I'm lucky. Still haven't seen the new 328d or 535d around these days and that kinda worries me. Sluggish sales could mean the chopping block for future BMW diesels here in the US. Guess I'll never see a future of an m550dx arriving here.
JBD @ 100% | KW ST Coilovers | M3 rep. front bumper | 888Concepts AE Upgrade | GP Thunder 7500k fogs | Cyba 4" carbon tips | BSW Stage 1 | APEX ARC-8 W/ Michelin PSS | Ziza LED interior | Weisslicht LED side lenses | Sprint Booster | Euro side mirrors | M-Sport semi-conversion | Coded | LOTS of carbon fiber
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #4
bimmerup-sonny
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Quote:

Hi,
I got it done the week of 9/23 at minicorsa... you you must have gone in a week later than me. There will be more coming to minicorsa from our reviews

I loved it as well, coming from standard suspension. I am looking forward to my daily commute through Topanga Caynon, although 90% of the time I was in traffic

I have not done the alignment yet.
Where did you go for your alignment? And how much was it?
Is it best to bring it to the dealer for alignment?

I am waiting for a schedule to bring my car in for the A/C belt squealing issue.
I heard it 2 weeks ago when I started the engine while the A/C was on.
Maybe I will have the alignment done as well.

Sonny
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2013, 01:59 AM   #5
austinla335d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerup-sonny
Quote:

Hi,
I got it done the week of 9/23 at minicorsa... you you must have gone in a week later than me. There will be more coming to minicorsa from our reviews

I loved it as well, coming from standard suspension. I am looking forward to my daily commute through Topanga Caynon, although 90% of the time I was in traffic

I have not done the alignment yet.
Where did you go for your alignment? And how much was it?
Is it best to bring it to the dealer for alignment?

I am waiting for a schedule to bring my car in for the A/C belt squealing issue.
I heard it 2 weeks ago when I started the engine while the A/C was on.
Maybe I will have the alignment done as well.

Sonny
It's probably worth it to get the alignment done at the dealer. It goes on the CarFax records which I really like.

I got it done at brake masters in Altadena for $80! I went through the specs with them and they did an excellent job, plus they tell you for 90 days you can come back for free adjustments.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2013, 02:01 AM   #6
austinla335d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureHaze
Quote:
Spotting one around here is pretty rare from my experience. I might spot one every couple of months if I'm lucky. Still haven't seen the new 328d or 535d around these days and that kinda worries me. Sluggish sales could mean the chopping block for future BMW diesels here in the US. Guess I'll never see a future of an m550dx arriving here.
Whoa, don't be so fatalistic buddy!

I see D's regularly. I think diesel is literally just now becoming an option for a lot of people who never would've driven a diesel before. It's going to take off, and when all of the other manufacturers introduce their diesels, they'll receive wider acceptance as an "everyone makes one" product much like hybrids have become.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2013, 10:58 AM   #7
bimmerup-sonny
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
It's probably worth it to get the alignment done at the dealer. It goes on the CarFax records which I really like.

I got it done at brake masters in Altadena for $80! I went through the specs with them and they did an excellent job, plus they tell you for 90 days you can come back for free adjustments.
Where did you get the specs? Are the specs for BMW Performance Suspension widely published? Did you show them the specs, or they have them in a manual? I do have several Brake Masters near me, I think the dealer easily charges twice as much.. even more.

Sonny
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #8
austinla335d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerup-sonny
Quote:

Where did you get the specs? Are the specs for BMW Performance Suspension widely published? Did you show them the specs, or they have them in a manual? I do have several Brake Masters near me, I think the dealer easily charges twice as much.. even more.

Sonny
The specs for zsp vs m-sport vs BMWPS are rumored to be different but if you need:

-.8-1.0 front camber (as much as you can get while keeping each side the same)
.10-.15 front toe each side (factory)

-2.0-2.3 rear camber (again, as close to matching on each side as possible)
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 12:12 AM   #9
OILPowered
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 335d

Quote:
Quote:
Really? I see about 2 a week, sometimes more here in OC. Seem to be almost as common as an E90 335i, though I know there should be less. Sorry for straying off topic. Congrats to the OP on the new suspension.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 03:48 AM   #10
austinla335d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILPowered
Quote:
Quote:
Really? I see about 2 a week, sometimes more here in OC. Seem to be almost as common as an E90 335i, though I know there should be less. Sorry for straying off topic. Congrats to the OP on the new suspension.
Thanks!

And yeah, since the pair stating he didn't see many d's I haven't seen one. Maybe I don't see them as often as I think...?

On a side note, nearly every non-sport 335 I see is a 335d. Loads of non-sport models out there I suppose.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 09:55 AM   #11
bimmerup-sonny
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks!

And yeah, since the pair stating he didn't see many d's I haven't seen one. Maybe I don't see them as often as I think...?

On a side note, nearly every non-sport 335 I see is a 335d. Loads of non-sport models out there I suppose.
Funny that you guys are talking about this....

Just a week ago, I pulled in to a gas station in San Fernando valley.. off Ventura Blvd
and Reseda... I saw a 335d filling up next to me, and I think it was also a non-sport
version, the ride is high compared to my Perf. Susp.

This is not my normal fill up station, I have not seen ANY 335d around my Northridge/West Hills/Canoga Park areas

Sonny
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 09:58 AM   #12
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

I have only met ONE 335d owner in Puerto Rico and there are a few of them hidden, but I have seen some X5d's around though!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 03:35 PM   #13
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

What other options did you consider compared to the BMW OEM PS. I've found some KWv2 for only like 260 more.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 03:44 PM   #14
austinla335d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl
What other options did you consider compared to the BMW OEM PS. I've found some KWv2 for only like 260 more.
You need to understand that KW V2 is NOT a quality kit. It is an entry level kit. Ohlins and the like make coilover systems on par with the quality you find in BMW Performance Suspension.

No offense, but comparing two completely different setups based on budget alone is going to get you mixed feedback. KW's aren't that great for street- there's better options such as BMWPS and for the track- the KW's don't hold up well and again, there's better options.
TC Kline would be a good coilover setup for track and street. Not great but good. KW would be entry level and nothing more. BMW performance suspension is ideal for spirited street driving while retaining the warranty and ride quality.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 05:27 PM   #15
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
You need to understand that KW V2 is NOT a quality kit. It is an entry level kit. Ohlins and the like make coilover systems on par with the quality you find in BMW Performance Suspension.

No offense, but comparing two completely different setups based on budget alone is going to get you mixed feedback. KW's aren't that great for street- there's better options such as BMWPS and for the track- the KW's don't hold up well and again, there's better options.
TC Kline would be a good coilover setup for track and street. Not great but good. KW would be entry level and nothing more. BMW performance suspension is ideal for spirited street driving while retaining the warranty and ride quality.
Ok, good to know VAC was steering me that way. I am n00b when it comes to this.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 05:38 PM   #16
335dFan
Jumping Jack Flash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

VAC was steering you to KW? Or TCK? Initially they were recommending TCK to me.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 05:41 PM   #17
austinla335d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I personally never had an issue with st / kw, but I was just disappointed all around. They don't ride very well, their performance is lacking and they were noisy. They also reportedly are not going to last a terribly long time on average. That's all my opinions wrapped into one.

TC Kline makes quality stuff but again, much more race oriented and overkill unless you're tracking the car.

Supreme Power has the TC Kline kit in stock last time I checked and the price was awesome on that one kit.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 06:21 PM   #18
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dFan
Quote:
Quote:

VAC was steering you to KW? Or TCK? Initially they were recommending TCK to me.
KW
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 06:46 PM   #19
OmahaDZL
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D

Springs and swaybar

Hey Guys, just thought I would throw in my 2 cents... I left my shocks and just replaced the springs and swaybars. It's great. I cant tell you which I think is more fun....the JBD or the spring/sway change.

The car is WAY more drivable, way more in control, WAY less body roll.

I put in the Turner swaybar and the H&R progressive springs specifically for the D model.

Its an awful job, but way way way worth it.

Side note, I have sport springs and swaybars for sale.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 06:48 PM   #20
austinla335d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaDZL
Hey Guys, just thought I would throw in my 2 cents... I left my shocks and just replaced the springs and swaybars. It's great. I cant tell you which I think is more fun....the JBD or the spring/sway change.

The car is WAY more drivable, way more in control, WAY less body roll.

I put in the Turner swaybar and the H&R progressive springs specifically for the D model.

Its an awful job, but way way way worth it.

Side note, I have sport springs and swaybars for sale.
H&R sport or race, and which struts did you go with? Or by "left" do you mean you kept the stockers?

H&R lowers the car the most but has the least controlled ride in my experience. That seems to be the perception of others on the forums.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 09:46 AM   #21
AzureHaze
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

I once thought of lowering my car but now I feel like I'd be satisfied if the shocks were replaced to something better than OEM. I believe this is more important than anything else to ensure a quality ride on the road since I'll never go to the tracks. Any opinions on Koni FSD/Sport/STR.T?
JBD @ 100% | KW ST Coilovers | M3 rep. front bumper | 888Concepts AE Upgrade | GP Thunder 7500k fogs | Cyba 4" carbon tips | BSW Stage 1 | APEX ARC-8 W/ Michelin PSS | Ziza LED interior | Weisslicht LED side lenses | Sprint Booster | Euro side mirrors | M-Sport semi-conversion | Coded | LOTS of carbon fiber
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #22
335dFan
Jumping Jack Flash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureHaze View Post
I once thought of lowering my car but now I feel like I'd be satisfied if the shocks were replaced to something better than OEM. I believe this is more important than anything else to ensure a quality ride on the road since I'll never go to the tracks. Any opinions on Koni FSD/Sport/STR.T?
You might look at Bilsteins. If you have the sport suspension the model may be B4, but you would need to check. My non-sports model took the B6. I was happy with them as an improvement over the OEM. Of course that was before I went nuts and completely changed everything.
Appreciate 0