E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > DR-JEKL's 335i Intro & Build Thread

09-18-2012, 05:15 AM   #89
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABC99G View Post
It's a DAS-6. Looks like you have this covered. I believe an orbital is not as effective as a rotary polisher but less likely to do damage if you don't know what you are doing.
Ahh huh, I was going to buy a orbital but decided to man up and proceed with caution and to be honest it wasn't all that difficult. I had the black onyx on my lexus looking better then the day I had picked it up!

The initial outlay is reasonably hefty but I much prefer to spend $ on equipment and do the DIY method then spend the same amount paying a 'pro' do the work on most items for my cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 05:17 AM   #90
Scootah
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
Im itching to have the DP's etc installed! Do you recommend a charge pipe and bov also?

I have read that pulling the plug out is a more effective and easier but it logs an error code? I had wondered why only the RH side pipe upon starting seemed to be the only side 'open' and emitting exhaust gases...

Well it seems most 335's I had viewed are affected by dull looking calipers etc, it really tidies the car up when you have the paint trims etc looking good also
I can't comment on the charge pipe and bov as I haven't installed , next addition to mine will be Dinan dci - more expensive than other dci's but it looks the best IMO

I pulled the plug on my car and have had no codes
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 07:38 AM   #91
Steve500
BLACK is BEST
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 335i,R53 Cooper S,MB 380SL

Quote:
Im itching to have the DP's etc installed! Do you recommend a charge pipe and bov also?

I have read that pulling the plug out is a more effective and easier but it logs an error code? I had wondered why only the RH side pipe upon starting seemed to be the only side 'open' and emitting exhaust gases...

Well it seems most 335's I had viewed are affected by dull looking calipers etc, it really tidies the car up when you have the paint trims etc looking good also
Shane, car is progressing nicely!

Make sure you retorque your wheel bolts in about 500 km with your new spacers.

Ultimately not necessary,but go for the ER charge pipe and Forge DV's.
That's what I have not had any issues.

Pulling the plug for the golf tee mod only logs a shadow code, nothing to worry about. Just plug it back in when going into the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 05:41 PM   #92
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve500 View Post
Shane, car is progressing nicely!

Make sure you retorque your wheel bolts in about 500 km with your new spacers.

Ultimately not necessary,but go for the ER charge pipe and Forge DV's.
That's what I have not had any issues.

Pulling the plug for the golf tee mod only logs a shadow code, nothing to worry about. Just plug it back in when going into the dealership.
Cheers Steve!

Thanks for your advice once again mate
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 05:44 PM   #93
Drawn05
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootah View Post
I can't comment on the charge pipe and bov as I haven't installed , next addition to mine will be Dinan dci - more expensive than other dci's but it looks the best IMO

Do you mean the Dinan Cold Air Intake, the one that has the cf snorkel to the front left air duct?

If so, Advan have one for sale. Its in good condition and it would be a lot cheaper than buying new from Dinan and the shipping/customs charges you would have to pay.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 06:42 PM   #94
dontask
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: White BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootah View Post

If you're seriously considering Dinan, you should also consider this:
http://www.glück-gfk-technik.de/airbox-135i.html

Its modelled from the Alpina B3 airbox, but with a larger intake tract.

Modded 135i
RHD Bumblebee
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 10:25 PM   #95
Scootah
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drawn05 View Post
Do you mean the Dinan Cold Air Intake, the one that has the cf snorkel to the front left air duct?

If so, Advan have one for sale. Its in good condition and it would be a lot cheaper than buying new from Dinan and the shipping/customs charges you would have to pay.
Thanks Drawn05

That is certainly the one I want, I appreciate the tip and will give advan a call

Cheers Scootah
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 10:26 PM   #96
Scootah
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontask View Post
If you're seriously considering Dinan, you should also consider this:
http://www.glück-gfk-technik.de/airbox-135i.html

Its modelled from the Alpina B3 airbox, but with a larger intake tract.
Thanks dontask

I will check out the link
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 06:07 AM   #97
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Well a few small updates.

I spent the weekend with my rotary trying to polish out the swirls and small paint defects.

I have only ever had JDM cars, and it seems as though the paint is somewhat harder on the BMW and the Lake Country orange CCS pad with fine cut cleaner wouldnt remove the defects that I could remove in the past on my JDM cars.

The sealant used by BMW still maintained a glossy finish, but under afternoon light you could see the paint was riddled with fine swirls. Also running your palm across the paint you could feel the built up contaminants in the paint:

Having said that the car looks great, but with my car being space grey it didn't really look that bad to the untrained eye initially, and even now it doesn't 'pop' like a black car would unfortunately!

I had sealed the car using zymol titanium but I have some nanolex sealant to use which I will do in a months or so time.

It took me about 20-30hrs in total, and I'm still not happy with it, I either need to man up and either try a courser cutting compound in conjunction with a coarser cutting pad and paint depth gauge, or even possibly seek professional help and wet sand a few defects.

On another note my Lux V3 arrived and I couldn't wait to install them. Christ what a damn right pain in the arse they are to install!!! I have quite large hands and trying to squeeze your hand into the headlight housing orifice and then to twist the globe into position was near impossible... I think it took me close to 2 hrs

Anyway finally they are in the results are obvious!

Next on the hit list is to install the Goodyear F1 A2's and get a wheel alignment
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 06:32 PM   #98
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

just a thought on your other thread about the msport front bar, you may want to consider the 'lip' that jason sells as it is ONLY for the non msport bar and imho looks pretty good, in fact i bought one only to find out it doesn't fit
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 11:08 PM   #99
Scootah
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drawn05 View Post

Thanks Agian Drawn05 , bought the Dinan CAI and also the HPF intercooler from Justin at Advan
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 11:12 PM   #100
Scootah
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
just a thought on your other thread about the msport front bar, you may want to consider the 'lip' that jason sells as it is ONLY for the non msport bar and imho looks pretty good, in fact i bought one only to find out it doesn't fit
+1 i think the Aerolip looks great

Piccy of my car with the lip installed on this thread

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=737294
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 06:40 PM   #101
kaitan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: The Dark Side VAG TDI Biturbo

Quote:
Well a few small updates.

I spent the weekend with my rotary trying to polish out the swirls and small paint defects.

I have only ever had JDM cars, and it seems as though the paint is somewhat harder on the BMW and the Lake Country orange CCS pad with fine cut cleaner wouldnt remove the defects that I could remove in the past on my JDM cars.

The sealant used by BMW still maintained a glossy finish, but under afternoon light you could see the paint was riddled with fine swirls. Also running your palm across the paint you could feel the built up contaminants in the paint:

Love the TLC that your giving the car!! I under the frustration of after long hours cleans the beast yet you are still not satisfied with the work

Maybe it's just OCD !! guess we have something in common :P do you use the machine or all done by hand?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 07:33 PM   #102
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I actually don't mind the lip, but I'm sure you will agree the m bar with the big open air ducts look a lot tougher!

(albeit its a LCI I know)

v's

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 07:38 PM   #103
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitan View Post
Love the TLC that your giving the car!! I under the frustration of after long hours cleans the beast yet you are still not satisfied with the work

Maybe it's just OCD !! guess we have something in common :P do you use the machine or all done by hand?
Well I'm definately the fussy type, just frustrating when I cant get it 'just right'!

wash the car by hand
clay by hand

I used the rotary for the 3 stage polishing process (cut/swirl remover/glaze) then applied the zymol by hand literally (you wipe the wax on the palm of your hand rub your hands together then apply the wax onto the paint with your hands)
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 07:46 PM   #104
Scootah
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

[QUOTE=DR-JEKL;12745248]I actually don't mind the lip, but I'm sure you will agree the m bar with the big open air ducts look a lot tougher!

I agree the M tech bars look tougher , but i decided to spend my money on performance upgrades rather than asthetics, though with the latest purchases i think ive now got that fully covered ( exc meth)

Anyway im sure you would agree the e92 looks great in anyform anyway
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 07:49 PM   #105
pavo335
Banned
Rep

yeh but i think the lip on the non msport bar looks pretty good as well. not much in it imho
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 09:32 PM   #106
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

What I really really want is this 1M custom style bar!

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 09:36 PM   #107
pavo335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
What I really really want is this 1M custom style bar!

do it !!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 12:31 AM   #108
BMJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
I actually don't mind the lip, but I'm sure you will agree the m bar with the big open air ducts look a lot tougher!
Mtec looks F%@king great! Well done Jekl
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 03:33 AM   #109
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
do it !!!!!!
Hmm I would love to, I believe they are a custom order and are $2k a piece. You also have to take your car in to have the bar moulded to suit your car, and since they are based in the usa it would be near impossible....

Remember that outfit cyber in the early 90's, I reckon they could craft something like this up!

Last edited by DR-JEKL; 09-27-2012 at 03:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 03:41 AM   #110
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Well I done the 'golf tee' mod this sarvo and yup it makes an immediate different under normal 1st gear acceleration it 'wails' and under deceleration there is now a lot more crackle n pop action happening!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80661

It's hard to imagine the N54 sounding much better then it already is now, I ran out of sunlight to stick my head under the car to confirm if I have the BMW PE already (I cant believe the oem mufflers sound this good!)

I really cannot justify a PE costing $1-3k, and especially when the akra has a dyno chart like this:

[img]http://www.**********s.com/images/Products/akropovic/akrapovic-e9x-335i-exhaust-dyno-1.jpg[/img]

For the HP gains made a $100 DCI kit would produce similar gains I'm sure, providing much greater BFYB!

A few small mods arrived in the mail today that I might get around to installing this long w/e!

Foliatec top strip windscreen visor:

http://www.foliatec.com/foliatec/sho...425&groupId=74

BMS clutch stop:

http://www.burgertuning.com/clutch_stop_BMW.html

Last edited by DR-JEKL; 09-27-2012 at 03:47 AM..
Appreciate 0