E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England > Is it the roads or is it me?

02-24-2009, 01:31 AM   #1
Tennberg
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i w/ xDrive

Garage List
Is it the roads or is it me?

So, about 3 weeks ago, I hit a rather nasty-sounding and nasty-feeling pothole where Route 60 and 2 intersect. I did a visual inspection at the time of the right front and rear wheels and tires and didn't notice anything. However, I took it to BMW Peabody to get it checked out anyway.

As it turns out, I bent the interior facing side of both wheels, with a greater bend on the front wheel. The front wheel has a roughly 2" edge that is bent a fair amount while the rear wheel has a similar 2" edge but is barely noticeably bent. They said the car was safe to drive but that I would probably notice some vibrations. When I wanted to get the wheels straightened (by Rim Pro through BMW Peabody), I would just need to give them a few days' notice.

So, the past week or so (although I did notice a bit of a difference within a few days of hitting the pothole), I've been noticing a somewhat bumpier ride in the car. It feels like it's pulling to the right while driving, and it just doesn't feel like it did when I first got it. I actually have an appointment on Thursday to get the right front wheel straightened and the tire balanced (they said I could do them one at a time, and since money is tight right now, I'm choosing to do that).

Now, my question is, I know the roads around here are complete shit these days, so could most of what I'm feeling just be bad roads? Just how much could a slightly bent wheel and (probably) unbalanced tire affect the steering, the ride, vibrations, etc? (I'm just considering the front wheel, since the back wheel is barely bent.)

*Sorry for the noobish question. I'm as far from a car guy as you can get.*

I also asked them about an alignment, which would run $160 for my car. I'm probably going to see how much the ride improves once both wheels are straightened to see if the alignment needs to be adjusted. Is there a way a place could do an initial alignment check for free to see if it really needs to be adjusted?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 10:13 AM   #2
Arustik1
HYEPWR
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Well pulling to the right or left could be due to a slightly inclined road. Bumpy ride could be due to poor pavement too, or just a shitty quality, even a run-flat tire .

In the end, you own a BMW and your ride isn't going to be as smooth as a Lexus lets say. But if you want to get my personal experience then head over to the cars and coffee meet on the 15th and take me for a ride or whatever.

We can figure it out there.

Good luck,
Dave
2001 M5 Jet Black / Black
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 10:14 AM   #3
Arustik1
HYEPWR
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Sorry if I didn't answer all your questions or concerns, I skimmed your post.
2001 M5 Jet Black / Black
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 01:41 PM   #4
TheLegacy
Gangsta status
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 E39 M5, heavily modded

The words are total shit. I commute into Boston everyday through local roads from Milton and its like a warzone
"Ready for the Apocalypse"
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 01:51 PM   #5
twocanyan
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i Xdrive

[QUOTE= I actually have an appointment on Thursday to get the right front wheel straightened and the tire balanced (they said I could do them one at a time, and since money is tight right now, I'm choosing to do that).
[/QUOTE]

Shouldn't this be under your warranty? Sorry.. I am new.. but I thought everything is covered under the BMW Maintenance program.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 02:43 PM   #6
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Warranty does not cover road hazard. Just like warranty does not cover collision. You will have to purchase additional wheels and tires insurance.
      02-24-2009, 03:07 PM   #7
twocanyan
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i Xdrive

Thanks Kev. Sorry for being a Newb
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 11:36 PM   #8
Tennberg
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yeah, I didn't purchase tire/wheel insurance when I got the lease. Sort of kicking myself now for not doing so, but oh well.

I'm hoping a lot of it has to do with the bent wheel and (most likely) unbalanced tire, the front bend being much worse than the back. I'll know by Friday afternoon if it's any better. I'm dropping the car off Thursday morning. I'll ask them about how the car's been driving to see if this is mostly the cause.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2009, 04:19 PM   #9
riceqx2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335XIC...

How you could have a bent rim without having bubbles in your tire sidewalls is beyond me...
Usually you go over a bad pothole and ruin your tires, and hope the rim isn't bent.

If you have bent rims you're tires are probably damaged (bubbles in the sidewall) to the point that they will have to be replaced. Hate to sound alarmist, but, wait till you see what replacing RFTs cost.

How good is BMW of Peabody?
They told you the rims are bent , but the tires are fine?
I bet they call you and tell you the tires need to be replaced.
They'll probably fix your bent rims as a courtesy, but tell you that that the tires need to be replaced.
...and they will too, because no tire will survive a pothole collision that causes a bent rim.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2009, 07:18 PM   #10
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
pickup a use set of rims/tires here at the sales section if the $$ damage $$ is too much

this is why I have 2 sets of wheel ...1 for winter and 1 for summer
use the shitty one (or the set thats already beat up) during winter
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 01:55 AM   #11
Tennberg
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceqx2 View Post
How you could have a bent rim without having bubbles in your tire sidewalls is beyond me...
Usually you go over a bad pothole and ruin your tires, and hope the rim isn't bent.

If you have bent rims you're tires are probably damaged (bubbles in the sidewall) to the point that they will have to be replaced. Hate to sound alarmist, but, wait till you see what replacing RFTs cost.

How good is BMW of Peabody?
They told you the rims are bent , but the tires are fine?
I bet they call you and tell you the tires need to be replaced.
They'll probably fix your bent rims as a courtesy, but tell you that that the tires need to be replaced.
...and they will too, because no tire will survive a pothole collision that causes a bent rim.
When I brought the car in initially a couple days after hitting the pothole, they had both the right front and right rear tires and wheels inspected. They even brought me into the repair center to show me the damage (both my rep and the technician were present).

I was shown the damage done to the inner facing side of both wheels, and was told that there was no damage done to either tire. I was given the option of either replacing both wheels (at a cost of like $400-500 per wheel) or having both wheels straightened (at a cost of $135 per wheel). I chose to have them straightened, and am taking the car in on Thursday to have the right front wheel fixed (since it's the one that's worse off).

I hit a pothole with my previous BMW and cracked the wheel. It had to be towed to BMW Peabody and they wouldn't let me leave without having it replaced. Since they told me it was safe to drive the car until I chose the day to have the wheels straightened, I would assume there was nothing else wrong with the wheels or tires.

I've never had their service department try to swindle me or tell me something was OK one day to only have them tell me I need to pay $$$ the next day. They've been very professional and up-front every time I've used them since 2006.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 04:11 AM   #12
riceqx2
Private
United_States
Rep

Well, I'm surprised.
I had a bubble in my sidewall and they said they'd replace it as a courtesy, then called me about the rim being bent. It cost me 150 to have it repaired thyrough the dealer.
I'm happy for you that the tires are good and that your dealer is good too. When I get the car back, I'd make sure you have the correct air pressures and hopefully the car will drive fine.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 02:59 PM   #13
Tennberg
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks.

I dropped the car off this morning and should have it back by late Friday afternoon. I was also really close to getting a 5er as a loaner. My SA forgot to enter my appointment, which didn't reserve a car for me. They only had a 5er, which they were going to give to some large guy who was stuck with a 3er loaner for a few weeks and needed something bigger.

Luckily, they found a 3er coupe (328i) somewhere on the lot, so that's what I have now. I can certainly tell the difference in power between it and my 335i.

I would assume they'd check the tire pressure on all the tires since one of them is being rebalanced, but I'll double-check.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2009, 04:21 PM   #14
Tennberg
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
So, total cost: $170. That covered the wheel dismounting, sending the wheel to Rim Pro and having them straighten the bend, remounting the wheel, and balancing the tire. They also checked the pressure in all the tires. They didn't find any bubbles anywhere, so I definitely lucked out there.

Car drives *much* better. A lot less vibrating, car handles corners better, and just seems nearly back to normal. I just need to get the right rear wheel fixed at some point and have that tire rebalanced.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2009, 04:54 AM   #15
riceqx2
Private
United_States
Rep

Good for U.
Sounds like BMW of Peabody took good care of U.
Now, watch out for those damn potholes- this is pothole season...
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2009, 08:31 AM   #16
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB E92 - SOLD 5/2010

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennberg View Post
Yeah, I didn't purchase tire/wheel insurance when I got the lease. Sort of kicking myself now for not doing so, but oh well.

I'm hoping a lot of it has to do with the bent wheel and (most likely) unbalanced tire, the front bend being much worse than the back. I'll know by Friday afternoon if it's any better. I'm dropping the car off Thursday morning. I'll ask them about how the car's been driving to see if this is mostly the cause.
Tire and wheel insurance still wouldn't have helped you regarding the damages incurred. The tire/wheel insurance covers tire/wheel replacement ONLY if damage sustained results in a tire being unable to sustain a constant air pressure. If the rim is bent but the tire holds air ........ you're on your own for cost. Been there/done that ......... I actually fought with the dealer as well as the 3rd party insurance company.

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2009, 11:05 AM   #17
LuisBoston
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 128i, '23 iX M60

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [8.83]
2023 BMW iX M60  [9.50]
2007 328xi  [8.75]
That's not good to read... I am going in on Friday to have them inspect for my newly thumping-at-high-speeds ride. I have the tire/wheel warranty (which they threw in when I bought my car last March).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToadHollow View Post
Tire and wheel insurance still wouldn't have helped you regarding the damages incurred. The tire/wheel insurance covers tire/wheel replacement ONLY if damage sustained results in a tire being unable to sustain a constant air pressure. If the rim is bent but the tire holds air ........ you're on your own for cost. Been there/done that ......... I actually fought with the dealer as well as the 3rd party insurance company.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897862
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2009, 11:54 PM   #18
sneaks
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Has anyone here experienced any suspension damage after sustaining sidewall and/or minor rim damage?
The reason I ask is I recently nailed a tire killer and am wondering if I need to have any inspection done on the car itself. The car tracks straight for up to a mile (alignment is good) but there is minor vibration after replacing and rebalancing all 4 tires. Could it simply be a bad balancing job?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2009, 04:59 AM   #19
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lem144 View Post
That's not good to read... I am going in on Friday to have them inspect for my newly thumping-at-high-speeds ride. I have the tire/wheel warranty (which they threw in when I bought my car last March).
A reeeaaalllllllyyyy slooooooooooooooow leak justifies tire/wheel replacement too. Doesn't help in your case but still ......

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2009, 05:13 AM   #20
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaks View Post
Has anyone here experienced any suspension damage after sustaining sidewall and/or minor rim damage?
The reason I ask is I recently nailed a tire killer and am wondering if I need to have any inspection done on the car itself. The car tracks straight for up to a mile (alignment is good) but there is minor vibration after replacing and rebalancing all 4 tires. Could it simply be a bad balancing job?
What I was told by the guys performing the body & suspension repairs to my car is this ..........

BMW are built to "absorb" an impact which is why they are so easily damaged, especially with regard to suspension and a seemingly minor collision. Parts are built to "break away" rather than to hold up to the stress of a collision. Minor frontal suspension damage will "usually" call for the replacement of the steering rack ........ I was surprised by this. I was shown where BMW requires this to be replaced if a driver's side impact occurs resulting in (I think) tie rods snapping. Also, the fact that BMW only allows for 5mm difference from bumper to bumper leaves no room for slightly or otherwise damaged parts to remain on the car. BMW requires parts to be replaced in accordance with other parts that were subjected to high stress collisions whether the part in question shows damage or not.

I would say your damage could be the result of anything from a wheel out of balance (I would check this first ..... at a DIFFERENT shop) to tire damage/wheel bent to ............ then again I don't know how much of an impact you sustained.

- GL

Appreciate 0