E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > water spots...how *often* to polish off?

06-01-2009, 08:33 AM   #1
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

water spots...how *often* to polish off?

Got a prob here, my company's parking lot is next to a large lawn area that gets sprinkl'ed several times every day. Although I make sure I never park next to a sprinkler, the wind occasionally brings a nice fine rain mist over and leaves hard water spots all over the car. This has happened twice so far in the last month. The first time I polished them off with my PC but obviously I won't be doing this twice a month...

How often, at maximum, do you recommend polishing off the water spots? (including windshield). Has anyone tried to take off 2-3 month-old water spots?

PS. and yes, I'm working on the parking situation.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 08:43 AM   #2
SpmnE9zero
DENY THE WORLD THAT SURROUNDS YOU
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB 33ZERO

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
I think that as long as you keep a good wax on the car you shouldn't have any problems with removing the water spots (ever). I wash my car at least 3 times a week. (I know I have way too much time on my hands) However, two of those times I only spray it off with a pressure washer and use the spray on wax. I have a JB 330xi and the paint is still in phenominal condition. I try to put a wash mit on it as little as possible for obvious reasons. I have found that as long as you keep the car waxed, there is little that will stick to it that can not be blown off and with a proper drying method.
The best drying method I have found is the spray on way that you just use while the car is still wet. Then you just use a chamois to dry it off, comes out perfect every time.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 08:18 PM   #3
LOW2000
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 00 Silverado 08 G35S 62 CJ5

Would it work better to just put a good car cover on the car?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 08:27 PM   #4
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW2000 View Post
Would it work better to just put a good car cover on the car?
Good thought, but putting on and taking off a cover everyday will do more harm than good. I cringe at the thought of fabric rubbing against dirt/dust/sand covered paint.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 10:36 AM   #5
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

thanks guys. I spent an hour or so yesterday removing the latest water spots on the body panels but didn't have time for a full detail, that'll have to wait till the weekend. Vinegar and water did the trick for the windshield.

Still working on the parking situation but a cover may be the best short term solution till that's resolved. (drawbacks noted!)
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 11:08 AM   #6
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
Good thought, but putting on and taking off a cover everyday will do more harm than good. I cringe at the thought of fabric rubbing against dirt/dust/sand covered paint.
+1 Especially if the cover is getting wet all the time.

I agree with SpmnE9zero that most water spots come off with weekly washing, provided the car has a good coat of sealant or wax. Whatever is left is usually pretty much invisible except to me, and I save that sort of paint correction for the "big detail" (clay, polish, reseal) that I do 2-3 times per year.