E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Coding deleted?

01-07-2013, 12:45 AM   #1
jetblackcoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335i 6MT

Coding deleted?

I had my car coded at a local shop .. Digital speedometer, fold mirrors in with key fob, delete amber light when headlights are on, etc. basic package... Went to the dealer for some work, they replaces a few clutch parts and steering wheel and when I got it back the mirrors don't fold and the digital speedometer doesn't exist.. Was it all deleted? What can I do? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 02:54 AM   #2
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Did the dealer tell you (or print out on the Service Receipt) that they did any computer upgrades?

Because if they did, that will erase any individual coding that you have done, and replace them all with the defaults that came on the car - you will need to recode all the individual items

I don't know why they would have done an ECU software upgrade for what you had done, unless it was recommended for some other reason as a routine service item, but if your car is not under warranty - you would have paid for it.

Plus, if that happened, it would have deleted ALL of the individual coding you had done, not just certain items...

Simply disconnecting the battery for any reason will not delete any individual coding.

I strictly told my dealer that I want NO ECU updates done on my car unless they ask me 1st and it's entirely necessary (which at this point I'm sure there aren't any).
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 08:13 AM   #3
jetblackcoupe
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6
Did the dealer tell you (or print out on the Service Receipt) that they did any computer upgrades?

Because if they did, that will erase any individual coding that you have done, and replace them all with the defaults that came on the car - you will need to recode all the individual items

I don't know why they would have done an ECU software upgrade for what you had done, unless it was recommended for some other reason as a routine service item, but if your car is not under warranty - you would have paid for it.

Plus, if that happened, it would have deleted ALL of the individual coding you had done, not just certain items...

Simply disconnecting the battery for any reason will not delete any individual coding.

I strictly told my dealer that I want NO ECU updates done on my car unless they ask me 1st and it's entirely necessary (which at this point I'm sure there aren't any).
They didn't tell me anything about an ECU update but ill check the service receipt.. Another thing I noticed is that I had my doors set to both unlock when I pressed the unlock button once and when I got the car back it only unlocked drivers side so I had to reprogram it through the dash. Does that have anything to do with this?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #4
jetblackcoupe
Captain
Rep

Yeah it says "programming encoding control unit with CAS" ... But did they have to do that when they replaced the steering wheel??
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
Elliott@DetailAddict
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

They may not have had to but it is common for them to update individual modules.
Has happened to me where they reflashed my nfrm and cas, but all my other codes stuck.
C'est la vie.
Appreciate 0