E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest > FYI: This is what a "High End" Body shop's work looks like. (Picture Heavy)

01-06-2013, 05:06 PM   #23
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport

Garage List
I haven't even commented on this because it brings me pain every time I see it. Is is beyond ridiculous. I would think about contesting the credit card change or taking them to court for whatever it costs for a better shop to fix what they've done. I'm not usually the litigious type, but this situation you're in is just plain absurd.

Best of luck

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 05:58 PM   #24
cmyk
resident girl.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i + 2014 X5

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRotor View Post
I haven't even commented on this because it brings me pain every time I see it. Is is beyond ridiculous. I would think about contesting the credit card change or taking them to court for whatever it costs for a better shop to fix what they've done. I'm not usually the litigious type, but this situation you're in is just plain absurd.

Best of luck
If this had been a credit card transaction I would have initiated a chargeback long ago. Allstate wrote them 3 checks totaling $14,600 and some change, and they managed to extort another $664 out of me for priming and blocking the hood and deck lid -- I call it extortion because that's really what it felt like. They said that the hood and trunk needed additional work to make them "look good" after paint, and my hands were tied. I needed the car back and wanted to be done with them so I reluctantly agreed. Needless to say, I'm left wondering where this $664.00 went, since neither the hood or trunk look anywhere near finished, or even "good." I test-fit both of them in my own driveway before they ever laid hands on the car, and the fitment on both was a 9/10 I'd say (which I was happy with). Fitment now is more like a 5/10, being generous. I think they saw an aftermarket panel and figured they could squeeze some more money out of me, and then just blame me/the manufacturer for any issues to avoid having to do anything additional. Shameful.

2008 E90 335i // Black Everything // photos
COBB tuned / QTP e-cutouts / Helix FMIC / cp-e DCI / AWE BOVs / Catless / FBO + F15 X5 xDrive35i
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 09:52 AM   #25
ttribe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E93 335i

Unreal...very sorry to see this happen to your car. Keep us updated on how this turns out.
      01-07-2013, 09:58 AM   #26
e90Nate
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
this is terrible! I would suggest contacting a lawyer as previously stated. Good luck and hope everything works out!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 10:02 AM   #27
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep
Drives: 06 SGM E90, 15 BSM E84

terrible that they messed with such a clean car.

while in the grand scheme they don't seem so bad (except the hood - thats pretty bad), that's pretty ridiculous and it'd drive me nuts until it was fixed.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 10:17 AM   #28
cmyk
resident girl.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUI Elite View Post
terrible that they messed with such a clean car.

while in the grand scheme they don't seem so bad (except the hood - thats pretty bad), that's pretty ridiculous and it'd drive me nuts until it was fixed.
Yeah, I have certainly seen worse. However, do you think that this job is worth $15,000 and 2 months? That's really what pisses me off. I would honestly have expected better (or at least similar quality) work from Service King & Maaco. They had the car that long, and they still managed to cut every corner possible, and do the least amount of work they could get away with. They try and pass themselves off like some hotshot Top Shelf body shop that works on classic cars and exotics, yet this is what they deliver. Embarrassing.

There are several more items that aren't pictured, too. Like the uneven orange peel that's inconsistent from one panel to the next (hard to get a good photo of that). I have had people I barely know look at my car and ask me straight up if it's been in an accident, the paint job is so obviously not OEM.

COBB tuned / QTP e-cutouts / Helix FMIC / cp-e DCI / AWE BOVs / Catless / FBO + F15 X5 xDrive35i
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 11:08 AM   #29
Ms6 to 335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silver 335i manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyk View Post
Yeah, I have certainly seen worse. However, do you think that this job is worth $15,000 and 2 months? That's really what pisses me off. I would honestly have expected better (or at least similar quality) work from Service King & Maaco. They had the car that long, and they still managed to cut every corner possible, and do the least amount of work they could get away with. They try and pass themselves off like some hotshot Top Shelf body shop that works on classic cars and exotics, yet this is what they deliver. Embarrassing.

There are several more items that aren't pictured, too. Like the uneven orange peel that's inconsistent from one panel to the next (hard to get a good photo of that). I have had people I barely know look at my car and ask me straight up if it's been in an accident, the paint job is so obviously not OEM.
hey girl, i did too took my car there, thinking they where a good shop, should have taken it to bruce , as like you the work that was done to my car wasn't the best, but unlike you, you are nice me i am an ass and got things resolved in a different manner, but if you go thru with a lawsuit i might be in for that, good lick and yes TRADE SECRET SUCKS.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 12:14 PM   #30
iBoost
Retired e90post Member
Rep
Drives: real slow

Thread title had me thinking that it was going to be pics of a badass body-shop, paint booth, sexy cars, and awesome quality paint done to your car. Its the complete opposite. Good luck getting your car back to its original shape. This type of crap makes me rage. Just thinking of being in your situation turns my stomach! I'd lawyer up..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 05:19 PM   #31
dragazn
Major
Rep
Drives: i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [5.76]
cmy, let us know the shop names, so we all can avoid.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 06:02 PM   #32
cmyk
resident girl.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragazn
cmy, let us know the shop names, so we all can avoid.
Called them out in the OP

It's Trade Secret in Plano. Seriously, don't ever go there.

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #33
michael1284
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp

Sucks to see that happen, I still remember the original threads where we all thought they were good people. +1 for Bruce @ New Concepts - they painted my bumper and did a great job :/
      01-07-2013, 06:46 PM   #34
cmyk
resident girl.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1284
Sucks to see that happen, I still remember the original threads where we all thought they were good people. +1 for Bruce @ New Concepts - they painted my bumper and did a great job :/
Yeah before this happened I had heard nothing but good things about them, with the only exception being that their turnaround was a little on the slow side. I think I even recommended them a few times, based on some of their older(?) work that I'd seen. I'm not sure what happened but there was a major change for the worse there in 2012. Obviously.

New Concepts is great, though. I've talked to them in person and over the phone a few times and they have seen my car in its current condition. I wish I could just take it to them and have them fix everything. Although even they said the hood may not be salvageable.

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 08:29 PM   #35
cmyk
resident girl.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms6 to 335i View Post
hey girl, i did too took my car there, thinking they where a good shop, should have taken it to bruce , as like you the work that was done to my car wasn't the best, but unlike you, you are nice me i am an ass and got things resolved in a different manner, but if you go thru with a lawsuit i might be in for that, good lick and yes TRADE SECRET SUCKS.
Out of curiosity what "different manner" did you use to get your issues resolved? And what were your issues? Shoot me a PM if you want. I'm curious to know what my next round might look like with them, just trying to be prepared.

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 09:32 AM   #36
Ms6 to 335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silver 335i manual

i was more vocal to them and very aggressive which is bad but got the job done, when ever i got my car back it rained with in the next 2 days water leaked all over my trunk, they fixed that and they also fixed a couple of other small things, but there is one thing that they didn't fixed because i am ok with it, but it looks like this guys do not know what are they doing, i will show you one day, this guys are stupid for reals.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 09:51 AM   #37
cmyk
resident girl.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms6 to 335i
i was more vocal to them and very aggressive which is bad but got the job done, when ever i got my car back it rained with in the next 2 days water leaked all over my trunk, they fixed that and they also fixed a couple of other small things, but there is one thing that they didn't fixed because i am ok with it, but it looks like this guys do not know what are they doing, i will show you one day, this guys are stupid for reals.
Over the almost 9 weeks that they had my car I tried every attitude I could with them -- I went from being nice, to being annoyed, to being extremely pushy. I was never rude, never raised my voice, and never asked for anything unreasonable. Maybe they only respond to aggression though, in which case that would indicate a problem on their end.

Given the way they treated me vs the way they treated my husband tells me that they thought I was either weak or clueless. I am neither, I am simply someone who tries to treat people with respect and expects the same courtesy.

I'm glad you got your issues fixed, though. My tail lights also filled up with water right after I picked my car up, due to a faulty install job. I fixed them myself.

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 10:09 AM   #38
quattrosaint
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Fast

sorry to see that. Details in Addison is the absolute best. Ask for Ron if you decide to go there. Also we have similar mods...interested in lining up the cars for some pulls when the weather gets better?
      01-09-2013, 10:19 AM   #39
dragazn
Major
Rep
Drives: i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [5.76]
Can't go wrong with New Concepts, they have painted several pieces of my previous car and my trunk. You will be pleased.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 10:38 AM   #40
cmyk
resident girl.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrosaint View Post
sorry to see that. Details in Addison is the absolute best. Ask for Ron if you decide to go there. Also we have similar mods...interested in lining up the cars for some pulls when the weather gets better?
Yeah, let's do it

I was also thinking of going with the Z4 35is rotors when mine need to be replaced. How do you like your setup?

As of right now I have been advised to give Trade Secret an opportunity to make everything right, so that is the route I'm (reluctantly) taking. Details in Addison was on my short list of shops if it came / comes to it, but I already have a relationship with New Concepts so I think that's what I'll end up doing.

I'd rather have another shop do everything and just start over. This kinda feels like sending food back at a restaurant -- not sure if it's gonna get spit in.

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #41
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep
Drives: 06 SGM E90, 15 BSM E84

Quote:
Over the almost 9 weeks that they had my car I tried every attitude I could with them -- I went from being nice, to being annoyed, to being extremely pushy. I was never rude, never raised my voice, and never asked for anything unreasonable. Maybe they only respond to aggression though, in which case that would indicate a problem on their end.

Given the way they treated me vs the way they treated my husband tells me that they thought I was either weak or clueless. I am neither, I am simply someone who tries to treat people with respect and expects the same courtesy.

I'm glad you got your issues fixed, though. My tail lights also filled up with water right after I picked my car up, due to a faulty install job. I fixed them myself.
Yeah not in an (intending to be) offensive way or anything, but I think it's the fact you're a woman. They're not taking you seriously.

I have a similar problem, where looking young (yes I have a baby face..) isn't helpful. As if the money I paid is somehow less valuable than the millionaire's who spent the same as me.

Can you file a complaint with the BBB? If things don't go well on this second chance.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #42
cmyk
resident girl.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUI Elite View Post
Yeah not in an (intending to be) offensive way or anything, but I think it's the fact you're a woman. They're not taking you seriously.

I have a similar problem, where looking young (yes I have a baby face..) isn't helpful. As if the money I paid is somehow less valuable than the millionaire's who spent the same as me.

Can you file a complaint with the BBB? If things don't go well on this second chance.
Agreed. That's something I have to deal with frequently. It took several trips to the dealership to get them to start taking me seriously, and every time a new SA rolls in I have to start all over again. I've started prefacing my introductions with new service advisers and mechanics with, "I know I'm a girl, but I probably know just as much or more about cars than you do, so please don't assume I don't know what you're talking about." It gets tiring. My husband looks young, too, so I know what you mean about that as well. Still, every time we are together during any sort of car discussion, they address him instead of me. His car was in the same body shop with the same adviser with the same type of damage and he got daily updates including detailed pictures of his car in the paint booth and at every stage of the work (and his car came out perfect). The difference is that he didn't really care as much about all of that stuff as I would have. They also went out of their way to talk about how "badass" his car was, and make jokes about wanting to go for a ride in it, asking him about performance mods, etc.

A lot of people assume by the way I look that I am a Daddy's Girl with a cute little BMW (not sure why, my car looks pretty badass IMHO and definitely not stock; there's no question that I put a lot of money into it). Either that, or they think I'm a drug dealer with all my tattoos

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 09:34 PM   #43
quattrosaint
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Yeah, let's do it

I was also thinking of going with the Z4 35is rotors when mine need to be replaced. How do you like your setup?

As of right now I have been advised to give Trade Secret an opportunity to make everything right, so that is the route I'm (reluctantly) taking. Details in Addison was on my short list of shops if it came / comes to it, but I already have a relationship with New Concepts so I think that's what I'll end up doing.

I'd rather have another shop do everything and just start over. This kinda feels like sending food back at a restaurant -- not sure if it's gonna get spit in.
Awesome. Yeah I hear ya. I love my Z4 35is rotors with HPS pads. Great bite, low dust, and saved a couple lbs.
      01-10-2013, 12:14 AM   #44
The_Wood
Captain
Rep
Drives: F15 35d

Gosh, that's ridiculous. I went through the same thing with my car in November of 2011. A valet had hit the car from the driver's sidemarker and hit the door and rear quarterpanel. Bottom line is: my car was in the shop from (brace yourselves) November to February!

I eventually pulled the car out myself after it was "done." The body shop closed the day after I pulled out my car and all of its cars and employees disappeared in 2 days. Progressive has been investigating ever since. I've been really trying to get back to loving my e92 and only until a few weeks ago when I Plasti-dipped it white myself and ordered some new wheels did that happen. My claim total was $11,500+ AND the body shop here in Austin filed another false claim of $9,000 which I only found out about months after.

Anyway, best of luck to you!
Appreciate 0