Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Ordering. Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

08-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #45
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 435iX, FBO

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffWarner View Post
@C.D.335xi -

I'm also interested in your response to the below comparing Super Sports to Pole Positions. Sorry, I can't PM you .. not enough posts.

Thanks.
C.D. sent me a PM on his response, I don't think he will mind if I post it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.D.335xi
Hey DaFish,

In aswer to your questions, I would offer the following comments:
  • Noise: to my ear the PSSs are quieter
  • Initial turn in: about the same
  • Mid corner grip: the PSSs are definitely better here
  • Max grip: As I haven't had the new tires on long enough, nor been in the right circumstances to test the limits of the PSSs, I can't give you any feedback.
  • Steering response: I would say that the 2 tires are pretty even, with a slight advantage to the PSSs

Bottom line, the old Pole Postions were a very good tire (I can't say anything about the new ones) but the PSSs are much more comfortable and better in most of the performance categories. Plus they should have better treadwear.

One thing I would say is that PSSs run wide. My rear wheels are ET33 and the PSS 275s would definitely rub if I was lowered (they are about 6-7mm wider than the Pole Positions were at their widest). On my stock xi sport suspension, I have not experienced any rubbing even during agressive driving. That said, I never have passengers in the rear seats and rarely carry anything in the trunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFish
Hi C.D. I meant to put this in a PM, and I replied on the thread without thinking...

Just a bit more info on this if you wouldn't mind.

Ride is nice - great.
Grip is better - great.
Noise - will probably be less than the PP or the same, the PP was fine.

Compared to the Pole Position - How is the cornering:
1) Initial turn in
2) Mid corner grip
3) at the limit grip
4) steering response - did you find the steer response quicker than the PP if you wiggle the wheel back and forth?

Thanks in advance

Previous: 2014 BMW F32 435iX - JB4, MHD Flash, BMS Meth Kit, ER Intercooler, intake, catless DPs, KW Streets, 437M Reps with 245/35 and 275/30 Michelin PSS 4S
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 11:46 AM   #46
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

other than a tune, the PSS's were the best upgrade to my car. I have run Toyo T1r's, Falken FK452's, Continental Sportmaxxs and Hankook's. Completely changed the handling of my car. It just feels a lot more stable and locked in to the road.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 12:15 PM   #47
JeffWarner
Registered
Rep
Drives: 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFish View Post
C.D. sent me a PM on his response, I don't think he will mind if I post it here.
DaFish, thanks for the repost. You end up getting the PSS?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 01:01 PM   #48
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffWarner View Post
DaFish, thanks for the repost. You end up getting the PSS?
I will for sure, once my rears are done - probably this season.

I'll get all 4 in the spring. I'll have to figure out what size though if these fit wider. I am 1 size up all around. So probably stay with that, 235/265 and see if the PSS is that much wider. The Pole Positions aren't that much wider than the stock RFTs with 1 size up, they look absolutely perfect 1 size up on the rims.

Previous: 2014 BMW F32 435iX - JB4, MHD Flash, BMS Meth Kit, ER Intercooler, intake, catless DPs, KW Streets, 437M Reps with 245/35 and 275/30 Michelin PSS 4S
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 08:06 PM   #49
JUJ13
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary@TireRack View Post
Yet another thread full of praise for the Michelin Pilot Super Sport.

Great tires
I'll add my praise to this thread as well, just got them last Friday and love them. Definitely a nice difference in ride and feel. Only have ~300 miles on them so far, so haven't really pushed them too much yet, but very happy I went with them.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 02:12 PM   #50
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Upgraded from Michelin PS2. The operative word is UPGRADED. I mean the PS2 were already awesome, I'd have been happy with more of the same, but they managed to make them even better. Unbelievable.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #51
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
Upgraded from Michelin PS2. The operative word is UPGRADED. I mean the PS2 were already awesome, I'd have been happy with more of the same, but they managed to make them even better. Unbelievable.
Cool, care to elaborate? Traction, ride, grip off the line, initial turn in, mid corner grip, noise, wet traction on all of the above. I think we can leave snow out of the equation.

Thanks

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 02:59 PM   #52
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

ride is the most obviously improved item. It is very compliant on small sharp bumps (like concrete interstate sectionals). The PS2 were very ridable, this is comfortable. This is amazing considering that the tire features hardcore handling.

Wet traction is also improved, it was pouring yesterday and I felt more confident than I ever have been, even with A/S tires, the grip limit seemed very far away, hydroplaning was adverted very efficiently. The overall feeling was that the tire was just laughing at the horrible weather conditions, and playing to see were that was going, I basically reached what would qualify as aggressive pace (for street, that is) for a sunny day, but under heavy rain. DCT didn't kicked in while I was purposefully trying to see the limit with hard accelerations, it would have with the PS2 under the same solicitation.

Initial turn in is slightly more lively, the direction feels lighter, yet still very precise. It feels almost telepathic now. And it was already great on the PS2.

The feel at mid-corner is also better, on the PS2, it felt a little like riding on a balloon (yet the grip limit was far away and the sidewall would remain responsive). The stiffer sidewalls on the PSS prevents this strange feeling.

The rest was already excellent on PS2, pro tests say that mid-corner grip has been improved, but on open road its hard to reach PS2's limit already, same story goes for grip off the line, I had a very hard time overwhelming the PS2, I am still to witness DCT kick in on the dry with the PSS.

I cannot list any downside to these tires. They are even rated 300 thread wear (the 150 of the PS2 were the only downside I found to them), so even factoring in the high price tag, they are not a bad value.

Last edited by Meeni; 08-15-2012 at 03:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 10:43 PM   #53
x26
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs1 View Post
I just got my Michelin PSS about 3 weeks ago, feeling a little soft, plan on changing up the pressure next time I'm out. I'll try 38 and see if I notice any difference, pretty sure the shop put it at whatever OEM specs said
I would get the PSS accept for the Softness.
I'll go with the PS2's for the "On a Rail" handling that I love...
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 11:11 AM   #54
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Keep in mind that new tires at full tread depth have more tread squirm that nearly worn out tires. I'm sure if you were to compare brand new, full depth PS2's to PSS's you would find they have the same kind of steering response and turn-in.

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 10:50 PM   #55
groundeffect
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335i

Gary,
What are your thoughts on going from oem spec sizes to 10 mm larger?
My 19's are 225/35 and 255/30.
Thinking of going up to 235 35 and 265 30 .
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 08:07 AM   #56
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by groundeffect View Post
Gary,
Thanks!
Bump....

I did this on my Bridgestone Pole Positions and they are absolutely fine, but the PSSs are wider than those apparently.

Stock 230 rims you have groundeffect?

Gary, how much wider are the PSSs and would 1 size up fit our rims ?

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #57
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundeffect View Post
Gary,
Thanks!
That would work well with no problem. It is actually fairly common way to go on the original 19" wheels. They would be roughly a third of an inch taller and wider.

Tires http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AH8&...ires/index.jsp

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 09:29 AM   #58
vasisht
Rep
Drives: 2009 335ix

Question for those who have these tires. Did you install them on factory rims? I have the original 17" wheels my 335i came with (and the RFTs) and come springtime was going to swap out the RFTs for 17" PSS tires. Or should I spend the money and buy 18 or 19" rims and tires?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 08:39 PM   #59
freshwater
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Jet Black Sports pkg

Any good Tires for All Season from Michelin which can survive few snow and icy roads in Chicago. Dont like noisy Tires..

Can PSS works in snow weather also, anyone used PSS in Cold Winter weather..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 09:10 AM   #60
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshwater View Post
Any good Tires for All Season from Michelin which can survive few snow and icy roads in Chicago. Dont like noisy Tires..

PSS is an extreme SUMMER tire, no snow at ALL.

I get 4 snows on rims for that.

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 02:05 PM   #61
nick9597
Rep
Drives: F30 Sport Line, Mineral Grey

Lot's of good info on here regarding the PSS. I'm looking at taking off my pirelli cinturato p7 (run flats) and putting on the PSS's.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 02:13 PM   #62
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DnA Diesel View Post
I have a Continental mobility kit.

Frankly, either the damage/leak is small enough for the kit to seal it temporarily, or I'll be getting a flatbed anyway. I've seen enough idiots on the road swinging past the shoulder that the last thing I'll be doing is messing around with a jack to change the tire by the side of the road.

Do I lose sleep over not having a spare tire? Not any more than I lose over not having a spare crank sensor, nor a spare power steering pump, nor a spare windshield, etc... How many people have a spare serpentine belt?

Mein 2 pfennig.

D.
YUP... I'll never change a tire on the side of the road unless I'm out in BFE and looking to spend the night otherwise, too damn dangerous nowadays.

The Continental Mobility kit is really decent, fits in the trunk above the battery like it was designed to fit and at $75 I think it is as Tire Rack it's a hell of a deal.

I've had tires and complete wheels and tires delivered from Tire Rack and only had one issue that was quickly fixed. (one of my wheel and tire shipments had a wheel missing the valve)

I've also had good luck with the preferred installers when drop shipping tires.
      06-06-2013, 02:15 PM   #63
Eagle1oh7
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i Sedan

Got them sitting in my garage waiting on my wheels to arrive LOL!
DONE: Seibon CF Hood, M3 Rep, MSport rear w/DD CF Diffuser, M3 Rep Skirts, Seibon CSL trunklid, Forgestar F14 18s w/Michelin PSS, Eisenmann catback, AA Headers, BPC Stage 2, Charcoal Delete+revMotor+AFE Drop In filter
FUTURE MODS: LED headlights, CF rooftop, M3 Suspension Conversion, Dinan CAI Mod
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #64
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshwater View Post

Honestly just go all the way, have a set of wheels and tires for Spring - Fall, think 18-19" and premium extreme performance summer rubber, and then a 17 - 18" Dedicated winter tires.

It really makes all the difference in the world. There is no comparison between "snow" and all-season tires. All season is code for compromise year around, means missing that extra edge of safety year around. Also, SUMMER tires are genuinely worthless under about 40 degrees even when it's sunny/dry out. Here in Washington even which is pretty mild year around you can feel summer tires slipping and refusing to heat up even after 30 minutes or so on the road. Compounds just arent designed for cold/snow/ice...

Summer tires are better in the wet typically than any All Season, and of course are epic on warm dry days. While the winter tires make the all season tires seem dangerously inadequate in the cold and snow/ice.

I've been doing this for the last few years and buying a dedicated winter wheel and tire set is the only way to go as apposed to having to go to the shop. Takes me 20 minutes a breaker bar and a torque wrench to swap back and forth.

Extra bonus, no worries about subjecting your quality wheels to crappy winter roads and chemicals.

FWIW.... Lots of caffeine today

Lastly Tire Rack is a business sure, but there is also a crap load of information on their website regarding Summer/All-Season/Winter tires and a lot more. NO I don't work for them or anything like that, they just keep meeting or acceding expectations.
      06-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #65
sle39lvr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 328i

Best performing tires out there, this side of cup tires.

However:-
- Not the quietest tires (tho they are fairly silent)
- Not the smoothest riding tires
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 02:45 PM   #66
nick9597
Rep
Drives: F30 Sport Line, Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sle39lvr View Post
Best performing tires out there, this side of cup tires.

However:-
- Not the quietest tires (tho they are fairly silent)
- Not the smoothest riding tires
Explain "smoothest" more please. Not soft?
Appreciate 0