E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Tips for cleaning chrome trim

02-08-2010, 03:34 PM   #1
Ham09
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A sh*t box

Garage List
2006 335i  [0.00]
Tips for cleaning chrome trim

Sorry if this has been asked before... I've searched but not found an answer.

I was wondering if anyone knows what the chrome surround around the windows is made from and what should be used to clean it.

I already have some Autoglym metal polish, could I use this or is it bad for the trim?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 04:50 PM   #2
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
I asked my detailer this as the S5 has the chrome trim around the doors which had an uneven colouration to it.

I used some autosol metal polish applied with a damp cloth but lightly and gently, not rubbing too hard as it's obviously an abrasive, worked a treat.

Was then advised to maintain the look with the wax I use on the paintwork, in my case swisswax. So far so good.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 02:47 AM   #3
Anneka @ Sytner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: -

I'll have to check exactly what they're made of (varies on different models). Wash them with your normal car shampoo solution or an all purpose car cleaner, and agitate using a soft brush or mitt (make sure no dirt is dragged along). Then use a non abrasive cleaner on a soft clean cloth. You should be fine with Autoglym's polish because I don't think it has much of a cut.
I personally use Raceglaze glass/chrome cleaner, which is basically like a non abrasive cream. For higher cut such as cleaning exhausts etc I use the Britemax Metal Twins.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 08:36 AM   #4
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
I asked my detailer this as the S5 has the chrome trim around the doors which had an uneven colouration to it.

I used some autosol metal polish applied with a damp cloth but lightly and gently, not rubbing too hard as it's obviously an abrasive, worked a treat.

Was then advised to maintain the look with the wax I use on the paintwork, in my case swisswax. So far so good.
+1 Work well at removing the soot from the exhaust pipe although they are not chrome but matt. Still a good product though and it does work well on chrome.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 08:49 AM   #5
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Are the trims real metal then? I thought they were some kind of plastic coated chrome look a like?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 11:00 AM   #6
MOB
Major
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M2 LCI

I used this;

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/pre-wa.../prod_119.html

Superb at cleaning these kind of things
      02-09-2010, 01:32 PM   #7
Ham09
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A sh*t box

Garage List
2006 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anneka @ Sytner View Post
I'll have to check exactly what they're made of (varies on different models). Wash them with your normal car shampoo solution or an all purpose car cleaner, and agitate using a soft brush or mitt (make sure no dirt is dragged along). Then use a non abrasive cleaner on a soft clean cloth. You should be fine with Autoglym's polish because I don't think it has much of a cut.
I personally use Raceglaze glass/chrome cleaner, which is basically like a non abrasive cream. For higher cut such as cleaning exhausts etc I use the Britemax Metal Twins.
Thanks, I'm sure others would like to know what material is it. It doesn't look like the chrome you'd see on a Harly Davidson, hence my hesitation on the metal cleaner.

I have read some people use a clay bar to remove contamination, then use car polish and wax afterwards. I'll try and get something more gentle like that Raceglaze you mentioned, or that Clearkote Moose Wax.
Appreciate 0