E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > bmw 335d

05-26-2011, 04:19 PM   #67
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

At least the petrol heads won't be able to confuse a debadged soot chucker 335d with the real thing if they can see the smog.

They should all have a DPF delete mod.

05-26-2011, 05:23 PM   #68
Candy 01
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 series E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by briers View Post
I would be wary of those s3's they a v.rapid.

In gear and remapped a 330d would be competitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
^ Very true.

Video of a Lotus Exige 192ch trying very hard to catch an A3 2.0TFSi with stage 2. (only worth watching the first minute as the A3 is gone after that)

Yea they are very fast been in a few but would like too see how a mapped s3 would up against a mapped 335d. Are their just one stage you can remap a 335 or different stage's? I do know that S3's have there stage's they can get mapped to, but owners only go to stage two as it's the safest option and give's them 340bhp i think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1bjr View Post
At least the petrol heads won't be able to confuse a debadged soot chucker 335d with the real thing if they can see the smog.

They should all have a DPF delete mod.

Take it your not a fan of the big D's then...

Last edited by Candy 01; 05-26-2011 at 06:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 06:27 PM   #69
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

Not the best example as both mapped by the same company.

Change the drivers different story, change to a lap of a track different story again, change to a different track different storyagain, change the weather different story again etc etc. Both are great cars and either could beat the other depending on the variables. If all you want to do is have the fastest car so you can burn people on the traffic light grand prix circuit then don't buy either. Get an Elise or a VX220.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 06:37 PM   #70
Candy 01
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 series E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
Not the best example as both mapped by the same company.

Change the drivers different story, change to a lap of a track different story again, change to a different track different storyagain, change the weather different story again etc etc. Both are great cars and either could beat the other depending on the variables. If all you want to do is have the fastest car so you can burn people on the traffic light grand prix circuit then don't buy either. Get an Elise or a VX220.
Nice video mate, they both can't really pull past each other lol. I understand were your coming from but i don't really want to be racing cars off the lights (all the time ). I need it to be fast but also as economical as it really can be. The 335d tick's some box's and the s3 tick's others, going to hopefully have a test drive in a 335d tomorrow so will really find out which i prefer.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 10:20 AM   #71
SelSol
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 335D SE

I cant be arsed to read the whole thread, but I picked up about the whole autobox concerns.

To be honest, I had the same issues, I've never had an Auto, and I believe manuals are the holy grail, and that the Elise is the most perfect car I can imagine.

BUT!!!!!

When you've got 428 ft/lb you need to realise it simply doesn't matter what gear you're in, a 35d will annihalate pretty much everything on the road, and you'll snap the heels of pretty exotic machinery. Your common sense and skill will usually wimp out long before the car does

Theres a side by side comparison on youtube of 335d vs 335i and you can see that its only the initial pace of the auto that dogs the 0-60, other than that, you're splitting hairs.

I manage a solid 34/5mpg out of mine, which is a 20 mile commute into cambridge, running around town, and then back again. I did average 42 on a trip oop norf, but thats not possible on town journeys.

And don't get an S3, it may be quick but its just a golf with some added jazz. It aint even pretty.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 02:26 PM   #72
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Check my vids on this thread mate!
      05-29-2011, 03:23 PM   #73
Oli
Campervan man
Rep
Drives: RS3 and VW Kombi

335d mapped Vs S3 mapped. I owned them both and they are completely different beasts, the 335 will be putting out 340ish bhp, and the S3 will be approx 330bhp. In a straight line, not much in it, but chuck in some twistys and it's goodbye 335, especially if it's wet, I have to admit the S3 is seriously rapid, but the BMW wouldn't be far behind. Ignore the 4wd loses comment as once rolling the S3 is 90% fwd and only redirects the power then needed.

At 22years old I'd go for the S3.

And just for the record, I'd own both again, as I thoroughly enjoyed them, and have already owned 2x335d's. The S3 I could wn as the out and out sports car, evenhough its a bit numb through the steering at times, but with the BMW, I'd have to have a weekend toy as well, as it's very easy to drive fast, and hence not very rewarding.

Genuine VW T5 California Rental
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 02:44 AM   #74
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli View Post
335d mapped Vs S3 mapped. I owned them both and they are completely different beasts, the 335 will be putting out 340ish bhp, and the S3 will be approx 330bhp. In a straight line, not much in it, but chuck in some twistys and it's goodbye 335, especially if it's wet, I have to admit the S3 is seriously rapid, but the BMW wouldn't be far behind. Ignore the 4wd loses comment as once rolling the S3 is 90% fwd and only redirects the power then needed.

At 22years old I'd go for the S3.

And just for the record, I'd own both again, as I thoroughly enjoyed them, and have already owned 2x335d's. The S3 I could wn as the out and out sports car, evenhough its a bit numb through the steering at times, but with the BMW, I'd have to have a weekend toy as well, as it's very easy to drive fast, and hence not very rewarding.
Good common sense summary there.
Stock E9x just dont handle all that well at all.
And I would expect the Audi to destroy it on a track.

Amusing how mny people bang on about 'tuning' when the first thing the E9x needs is suspension work!