E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Rear Foglight Bulb

02-18-2014, 07:35 PM   #1
PureE92
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92

Rear Foglight Bulb

Hey guys,

I turned the car on today to realize my left rear Foglight bulb has burned out! Was hoping you guys had any recommendations on some longer lasting and brighter ones. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 08:37 PM   #2
Blackhawk36
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i 6MT No iDrive

Did you install the European headlight switch? It doesn't answer your question. Just curious on your implementation.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 11:22 PM   #3
PureE92
First Lieutenant
Rep

Yes, I installed a leggo piece in there about 6months ago.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 07:38 AM   #4
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe

Let me copy and paste something I typed up recently which I suspect will be relevant:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells
H21W. The rear fog bulb is also the second stage brake lamp, and bulb code lists often erroneously list H21W simply as "brake light."

That said, pull the bulb first and inspect it before you bother ordering a replacement. Unfortunately, I doubt it's as simple as the bulb itself being burnt out. What's far more likely is that you either have oxidation or some other buildup, or simply loss of physical connection thanks to the extreme cold causing the metal to contract. That's exactly what happened to me and the car was reporting the bulb was burnt out when it actually wasn't. It's a known issue.

To access the bulb, you'll need to pop out the expanding rivets from the trunk lid liner. This can be done with either a trim removal tool or, in my case, a dinner fork with one prong bent up and the two adjacent prongs being used to get under the edges of the rivet and pop it up. You'll want to remove the four along the top edge (closest to the rear of the vehicle), and then two more a foot down in the recessed "handles" in the trunk liner. Then pry out the liner with your hands enough to give you access. You may need to use some force, as the "handle" parts really snap into the metal chassis of the trunk lid.

You'll see an adapter/bulb holder piece mounted in the inner taillight about an inch in diameter, give it a quarter twist (forget the direction) and you should be able to pull it out. The bulb will also twist out of the holder with a quarter twist or so. Check the contacts and make sure everything touches, you may need to slightly bend or push up the bottom contact. Clean everything isopropyl alcohol and lightly sand the surface if there's grime or corrosion that won't come off. You may need to do this for the part of the taillight assembly the bulb holder mounts into as well.

It sounds like a lot of work, but I managed it in a half hour or so during lunch in my work parking lot with a fork and some wound-prep alcohol wipes.
      02-19-2014, 11:34 AM   #5
itsstock02
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

How would those compare to the $130 AEs I bought from Burger? They look similar.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 04:05 PM   #6
PureE92
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
Let me copy and paste something I typed up recently which I suspect will be relevant:
Thanks. I'll definitely give it a try. Hopefully it is just out of place. Will report back with results!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 11:52 PM   #7
PureE92
First Lieutenant
Rep

Yep, Dwells you were right sir! Thank you so much. I ended literally just turning it back in. I think it was disconnected.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 11:44 AM   #8
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureE92 View Post
Yep, Dwells you were right sir! Thank you so much. I ended literally just turning it back in. I think it was disconnected.
Glad to help!