E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > logic 7 with aftermarket deck?

04-29-2013, 03:28 PM   #1
techy1
Captain
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

logic 7 with aftermarket deck?

Hi guys,

I looked couldn't find what i was looking for so i'm sorry if this is a repost.

Im planning to install a car audio system in my car.

I currently have a logic 7 setup but it's not where i'd like it to be.

Here are my plans...

I want to install SWS-8 subs and have it powered on it's own amp.

I want to install a double din deck. but still use the the logic 7 system.
would that work if I use a SWI-CAN2?

Also wanted to install a Kicker L7 or a JL W6/7 in a custom fiberglass box. or may do two in a custom mdf box.

I don't want the trunk to be rattling extremely. I know these trunks are sealed pretty tight, but will I still need to dynamat? anything else to minimize the rattling on the outside of the car?

I did read a couple of post where people needed to leave the ski hatch open or cut a while on the back panel, is that needed?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 04:45 PM   #2
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

You cannot retain the L7 amplifier/processor with an aftermarket deck.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 06:37 PM   #3
techy1
Captain
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
You cannot retain the L7 amplifier/processor with an aftermarket deck.
thanks! sticking with stock and prob just going to add a sub then
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 11:35 PM   #4
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

You need to replace the amp if you want to replace the head unit.

You should fire the sub through the ski pass, if you have one, to eliminate rattles. Another option is a corner enclosure.

I personally don't like kicker. Honestly you'd be better off with the w6 or w7 or a newer alpine type s or type r depending on your budget.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 07:37 AM   #5
techy1
Captain
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i View Post
You need to replace the amp if you want to replace the head unit.

You should fire the sub through the ski pass, if you have one, to eliminate rattles. Another option is a corner enclosure.

I personally don't like kicker. Honestly you'd be better off with the w6 or w7 or a newer alpine type s or type r depending on your budget.
most likely it'll be in the corner. using a fiberglass corner box does this reduce rattle?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 08:56 AM   #6
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Rattles come from the license plate mount, which always needs foam, and then sometimes from the rear deck trim, which can have foam inserted between the steel deck and the top cover by taking the grilles off and shoving it in the sides. We don't see this problem other than with the bass head set. With our corner sub it's always the license plate. Fiberglass has not hung to do with the rattle but its the only way to do a corner box. Ours is available loaded or empty. Looks great. You get 6-9 db of free boost from corner loading at certain notes, and 3db is what you get from 2X the power or 2X the woofers, so corner loading makes a lot of sense.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 09:29 AM   #7
techy1
Captain
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
Rattles come from the license plate mount, which always needs foam, and then sometimes from the rear deck trim, which can have foam inserted between the steel deck and the top cover by taking the grilles off and shoving it in the sides. We don't see this problem other than with the bass head set. With our corner sub it's always the license plate. Fiberglass has not hung to do with the rattle but its the only way to do a corner box. Ours is available loaded or empty. Looks great. You get 6-9 db of free boost from corner loading at certain notes, and 3db is what you get from 2X the power or 2X the woofers, so corner loading makes a lot of sense.
ok so sounds pretty much like any other install i've done in the past... Im not a pro at installing so for this one because the I'm planning on doing the install different I may get someone to do it.

can you pm me the your prices? Just so I know where I'm looking at. I may not do this until July though.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 10:36 AM   #8
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Do you have fold down seats? If you do you can easily do 2 12" subs facing forward sealed off from the rest of the trunk. You'd end up spending less money you'll have no rattles from the trunk, and louder bass.

Im actually going to be doing this soon with 2 Alpine Type R's, and this is the box I was planning on using. It is the perfect height and width for the trunk.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Dual-Alpi...item4ac2b0503f

If you decide to go with the corner box that is also a good option. It shouldn't rattle too much and you would have more trunk space.
Appreciate 0