E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Car Keeps pulling right after proper alignment setup

03-28-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
Panoz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Grey 335i ,Aero Kit

Car Keeps pulling right after proper alignment setup

Hello Guys,

I'm experiencing a really weird situation as explained on the title for the last 2 years. The car is perfectly aligned , tyres are new but the car keeps pulling to the right (steering wheel slightly turns too).

Let me firstly to comment that my car is now fitted with original OEM M3 19" wheels , Hartge suspension kit (both coilover & springs) and Quaife LSD.
My tyres are Dunlop SP Sport Maxx 225/35 & 255/30

• Initialy , we thought that it was due to faulty tyre surface...but using 4 different couples of front tyres and noticing that all of them having the same behaviour (exactly the same ) we realized that there was an issue with something else. Possibly the alignment settings were wrong?
  • I checked the alignment settings to 2 different tyre shops...everything seemed to be great (according to BMW specs), so no point looking in that direction.
  • As another attempt resolving the mystery I fitted a full set of other E92-spec 19"wheels (non-M3) and the car was driving fine.
  • So I temporary borrowed a set of M3 Wheels-and-tyres and fitted them as they where (M3 spec tyres) to my car. The car was almost fine so i thought it was my wheels fault...So i removed my tyres fitted them on the M3 wheels but to my surpise , the behaviour transformed to the known situation above...the car was pulling right again.

Whatever i do and despite everything seems to be correct...car is pulling right and its doing it with every tyre i may try.

On the street... right after adjusting the steering wheel to straight line , the car goes straight for 100 meters and then starts pulling right in such a way that it changes a whole lane in 150m. This is especialy intense when you accelarate.

I really cant get it anymore...I'm getting crazy.

Any ideas?

PS- I'm under the impression this issue started right after the installation of the suspension kit...not sure though.

Procede V4 , Catless DPs, Forge FMIC, Injen Intake, VK Oilcooler, Hartge Quads Exhaust, Modded CDV, Synapse BOV Kit, BMW Performance 335i SSK Kit, P3 vent boost gauge

Space Grey 335i -> See more pics HERE

Last edited by Panoz; 03-28-2012 at 02:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #2
VSmotorsports
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

There are a lot of variables that can affect the alignment. What are the alignment specs that your car is set at now?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 05:25 PM   #3
serotoninsteve
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Hello,
your problem comes from the rear,
faulty rear tyre perhaps.
Rears are the only ones to move with the problem.

If you say under acceleration it could be the rear suspension or subframe bushings.
How many miles do you have? Subframe bushings already upgraded?

But I would first swap only the rear tyres

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 05:34 PM   #4
imperial sloth
witty quote
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 space grey e92

I had a simmilar issue with a stock 335i when I put new tires on. Aligned correctly (according to NTB), but steering wheel was slightly crooked. It turns out the shop did a poor job, and their specs were to wide. I had it re-done twice then finally went to the dealership and problem was solved.
2010 e92 335i / Space Grey / Coral Red / Sport / AE V2 exhaust / oem black kidney grilles / black lower grilles / m3 spoiler / MTECH steering wheel / oem stainless steel pedals / oem MTECH ebrake / split arm rest / Michelin Pilot SS / gloss black badging /
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 06:18 PM   #5
Panoz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Grey 335i ,Aero Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSmotorsports View Post
There are a lot of variables that can affect the alignment. What are the alignment specs that your car is set at now?
The car is aligned based to the oem specs for 335i m-pack with 19" wheels.

Even though i'm using M3 original wheels (agressive offset) and Hartge suspension kit...maybe the geometry of the car changed so much after these changes so oem alighnment specs are not valid anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by serotoninsteve View Post
Hello,
your problem comes from the rear,
faulty rear tyre perhaps.
Rears are the only ones to move with the problem.

If you say under acceleration it could be the rear suspension or subframe bushings.
How many miles do you have? Subframe bushings already upgraded?

But I would first swap only the rear tyres

Good luck
If my tyres were faulty, why would my old ones are doing exacktly the same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperial sloth View Post
I had a simmilar issue with a stock 335i when I put new tires on. Aligned correctly (according to NTB), but steering wheel was slightly crooked. It turns out the shop did a poor job, and their specs were to wide. I had it re-done twice then finally went to the dealership and problem was solved.
Its not a shop's poor job. I took it to two different shops and they found settings to be correct (unless they both make wrong).

Procede V4 , Catless DPs, Forge FMIC, Injen Intake, VK Oilcooler, Hartge Quads Exhaust, Modded CDV, Synapse BOV Kit, BMW Performance 335i SSK Kit, P3 vent boost gauge

Space Grey 335i -> See more pics HERE
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 10:56 AM   #6
vip
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 Alpine White M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoz View Post
Hello Guys,

I'm experiencing a really weird situation as explained on the title for the last 2 years. The car is perfectly aligned , tyres are new but the car keeps pulling to the right (steering wheel slightly turns too).

Let me firstly to comment that my car is now fitted with original OEM M3 19" wheels , Hartge suspension kit (both coilover & springs) and Quaife LSD.
My tyres are Dunlop SP Sport Maxx 225/35 & 255/30

• Initialy , we thought that it was due to faulty tyre surface...but using 4 different couples of front tyres and noticing that all of them having the same behaviour (exactly the same ) we realized that there was an issue with something else. Possibly the alignment settings were wrong?
  • I checked the alignment settings to 2 different tyre shops...everything seemed to be great (according to BMW specs), so no point looking in that direction.
  • As another attempt resolving the mystery I fitted a full set of other E92-spec 19"wheels (non-M3) and the car was driving fine.
  • So I temporary borrowed a set of M3 Wheels-and-tyres and fitted them as they where (M3 spec tyres) to my car. The car was almost fine so i thought it was my wheels fault...So i removed my tyres fitted them on the M3 wheels but to my surpise , the behaviour transformed to the known situation above...the car was pulling right again.

Whatever i do and despite everything seems to be correct...car is pulling right and its doing it with every tyre i may try.

On the street... right after adjusting the steering wheel to straight line , the car goes straight for 100 meters and then starts pulling right in such a way that it changes a whole lane in 150m. This is especialy intense when you accelarate.

I really cant get it anymore...I'm getting crazy.

Any ideas?

PS- I'm under the impression this issue started right after the installation of the suspension kit...not sure though.
did you end up figuring out what caused the pull to the right?