E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Base System Upgrade on a Budget

02-04-2018, 10:19 AM   #45
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

If you used two splitters at the amp from your front left and right channels
instead of the single bass source signal you could run your under seats
in stereo and my guess(don't know what your head unit does to your bass out sub signal but I am guessing it is filtered) is the signal would not be as frequency limited as running it off the single sub out and splitting that to get mono on the under seats.

Its an easy experiment to do .

No pictures of your tweeters on your front doors did you get the BMW tweeter pods. If you got Focals you might want to set the door crossovers to negitive
to get a more balanced sound.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2018, 12:48 PM   #46
EffectOne
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 325d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
If you used two splitters at the amp from your front left and right channels
instead of the single bass source signal you could run your under seats
in stereo and my guess(don't know what your head unit does to your bass out sub signal but I am guessing it is filtered) is the signal would not be as frequency limited as running it off the single sub out and splitting that to get mono on the under seats.

Its an easy experiment to do .

No pictures of your tweeters on your front doors did you get the BMW tweeter pods. If you got Focals you might want to set the door crossovers to negitive
to get a more balanced sound.
I did get the tweeter pods from BMW. I'll give the two splitters on the front RCAs a go!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 10:02 AM   #47
mistertml
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i SE Edition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectOne View Post
I installed a Pioneer GM-D6804 (4 channel amp) into my car and have been very happy with the result. I bought it here:

https://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/pro...04_p-32190.htm
Hi

Thanks for all the info and for posting the video.

I have purchased the same amp as yourself.
Should hopefully be hear soon and I'll let you know how I get on.

At present I single DIN Pioneer Mechless player and purchased Vibe Slicks (halfords usually stock them) I got a set of 4 for £40 brand new from ebay.
They sound much better than stock at low volume but missing a bit of a oomph which I hope the amp will sort out especially on the mototway.
As I chnge cars that often I diodnt see the pont in spending a lot on speakers in the door. But I may upgrade the rear shelf ones at a later date as I'll be able to remove all the after-market stuff easily.

Thanks again to all for the invaluable info and hopefully it helps others on a budget.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 06:19 AM   #48
mistertml
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Amp Fitted... And lost the PDC Beeps

Hi All

I have added the Pioneer amp last night.
I tapped into the speaker wire coming out of the Connects2 wire harness and ran my speaker wire to the boot and installed the amp in the under boot lid storage tray.

Gain settings were easy as you can just set to H if you have a Pioneer headunit.

The only thing I forgot to do was wire one of the speaker wires from the connects harness into one of the speakers so I have now lost my PDC beep.

I'll tap into the rear speakers later and get this connected.

Apart from that hiccup the install was relatively straightforward.

Thanks for the info....

I think this should be the end of this chapter for me... in terms of Audio anyway.

Hopefully others with Base audio system will find this info useful as these upgrades on a budget have made the world of difference to the sound in my car.

Thanks and all the best.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 07:21 AM   #49
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 323i (Cdn)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistertml View Post
I tapped into the speaker wire coming out of the Connects2 wire harness and ran my speaker wire to the boot and installed the amp in the under boot lid storage tray.

Gain settings were easy as you can just set to H if you have a Pioneer headunit.
Curious why you didn't run RCAs to your amp instead for an improved sound with less distortion.
      02-08-2018, 09:52 AM   #50
mistertml
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali-323i View Post
Curious why you didn't run RCAs to your amp instead for an improved sound with less distortion.
Hi
I ran RCAs from the HU to the AMP.

I meant I ran speaker wire by tapping into the wires going out the wiring harness.

I hope that makes sense
Appreciate 1
Ali-E90378.50
      02-09-2018, 12:11 PM   #51
mistertml
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Amp Novice

Hi

As this if the first time Ive installed an amp in the car... I'm a litlle unsure of the settings. This is the firt BMW I've owned to have a shocking sound system (base) as the one in the X3 is much better and all the others I've owned.

I switched from position H to Normal on gain and I get a lot more oomph and still no distortion. Just unsure of the frequency settings and whether I need to amend the HPF settings on the HU.

I have added some pictures of how I have set the amp and also of the speaker spec.

Personally the sound is worlds apart, and can see a massive difference in sound. As I upgraded in steps... the HU first, then I installed the door and rear speakers and now the amp. I can tell a big change and the amp is deffo worth it.

Personally... I spent a little more than I origianly set out but its worth it. Just by upgarding the HU made a massive difference as my stock setup didnt have a USB input and I only have MP3's now.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0