E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Rear Differential Bushings----A call to all vendors!!!!

02-12-2014, 02:39 AM   #45
squartus
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 6MT

Garage List
2010 E92 BMW M3  [10.00]
I have a 2010 M3 I had to replace the rear diff bolts on twice because of the sloppy rear diff mounts that come stock on car. This is with 20k miles on car non tracked, went with solid delrin diff mounts and vibra-tonics engine mounts to fix the issue.

Car is MUCH more planted and responsive, downside is you do get a drivetrain whine in cabin even over aftermarket exhaust.
They even had to reshape the frame a bit because the hole was egg shaped from it having so much play with the stock mounts.

Ton of guys having these problems, some getting serious damage when bolt snaps and rear diff drops down on highway.

4.4L LC stroker/ESS VT2-625/Volk te37 sl's/AA exhaust/DSS Carbon Fiber driveshaft/ARH Headers.. etc
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 04:57 PM   #46
solishe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 Spc Grey Met e90 335i

Garage List
Anybody recently paired m3 subframe bushings with Turner Solid Delrin Diff mounts? If so, any significant NVH you noticed? Looking for more data points before I decide whether to replace the diff mounts when I get the wavetrac LSD in.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 06:14 PM   #47
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M package

Quote:
Originally Posted by solishe View Post
Anybody recently paired m3 subframe bushings with Turner Solid Delrin Diff mounts? If so, any significant NVH you noticed? Looking for more data points before I decide whether to replace the diff mounts when I get the wavetrac LSD in.
Im getting a Quaife LSD installed this week, and already have the M3 rear subframe bushings installed on my 135i. I had the same questioning as you while preparing for the LSD install - whether or not to upgrade the three diff bushings "while I was in there". After some research, I opted not to do it. I learned that this mod is not worthwhile, at least not for 135i/335i platform. The subframe bushings are the items that will make the most difference. So unless there is visible damage or cracks in your original bushings dont bother. You will also definitely increase NVH with solid bushings, and hear some differential whine noises in your car when you coast.
2011 X3 35i with M pack + 2011 135i w/6SPMT | 255 square tire setup | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Diff lock down bracket | Bilstein B8+Swift SpecR springs+H&R FSB | CDV delete | BMS Oil Tstat bypass | ER FMIC & CP | N54Tuning DP | GC Street Camber Plates | M3 FCA +guide rods+RSFB's+Tranny mounts | Manzo toe arms | Cobb Stg2 agressive tune | Hawk DTC70 brake pads | RB SS brake pistons | Goodridge SS brake lines | Custom brake cooling ducts
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 06:19 PM   #48
solishe
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaron9999
Quote:
Im getting a Quaife LSD installed this week, and already have the M3 rear subframe bushings installed on my 135i. I had the same questioning as you while preparing for the LSD install - whether or not to upgrade the three diff bushings "while I was in there". After some research, I opted not to do it. I learned that this mod is not worthwhile, at least not for 135i/335i platform. The subframe bushings are the items that will make the most difference. So unless there is visible damage or cracks in your original bushings dont bother. You will also definitely increase NVH with solid bushings, and hear some whine noises in your car when you coast.
I agree but my only fear is that with the increased grip I may start getting rear end squirm or dog legging upon hard acceleration. I would hate to discover that after they were in there and have to go back in....
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 06:32 PM   #49
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
Quote:
I'd be able to answer this for you in June.

M3 subframe bushings are already on my car and I've had the Solid Delrin Race RDM sitting in my house for over a year. I'm getting the LSD in late May.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 07:20 PM   #50
solishe
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekboyD
Quote:
I'd be able to answer this for you in June.

M3 subframe bushings are already on my car and I've had the Solid Delrin Race RDM sitting in my house for over a year. I'm getting the LSD in late May.
Ah yes I remember seeing you had those mounts almost a year ago....I'm leaning towards not installing them and I guess risk the double labor hit if I get wheel hop or non straight launch issues...
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 07:52 PM   #51
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
Quote:
Ah yes I remember seeing you had those mounts almost a year ago....I'm leaning towards not installing them and I guess risk the double labor hit if I get wheel hop or non straight launch issues...
I'd agree with your views there. A guy on the diesel side of the forums had extensive work done at VAC Motorsports including the installation of a Quaife. They recommended not putting them on. At some point you need to draw the line between a daily driver and a track car.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 11:44 PM   #52
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i (E90)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Plenty posted on this....
This is a really cute "do a search" string. I'm going to copy the "coding" for it for future use. Thanks!
      03-16-2014, 11:53 PM   #53
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

If I were installing a lsd and didn't want the nvh that comes with solid or poly mounts, I'd install these with a new rear oem bushing:
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-335...ial/ES1844489/

Last edited by cvc 22349a; 03-17-2014 at 12:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 06:42 AM   #54
solishe
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc 22349a
If I were installing a lsd at didn't want the nvh that comes with solid or poly mounts, I'd install these with a new rear oem bushing:
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-335...ial/ES1844489/
Good recommendation. Anybody out there installed these?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 09:46 AM   #55
whosdady
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
I agree but my only fear is that with the increased grip I may start getting rear end squirm or dog legging upon hard acceleration. I would hate to discover that after they were in there and have to go back in....
I have a VAC built quaife lsd, powerflex subframe bushings, and a host of other suspension mods. I have severe rear end squirm or dog legging upon hard acceleration. I can't even keep the car in the same lane. I've had the alignment done twice at the dealership, shooting for Harold's specs with no increase in control. Next week I will be adding powerflex diff bushings and uuc blue racing tranny mounts. Then I will change my specs from Harold's alignment specs to Vac's. For some reason they are very different. For the record, Steve from VAC is not certain the bushings will help. At this point I'm willing to do anything. I will report back.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 09:56 AM   #56
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosdady View Post
I have a VAC built quaife lsd, powerflex subframe bushings, and a host of other suspension mods. I have severe rear end squirm or dog legging upon hard acceleration. I can't even keep the car in the same lane. I've had the alignment done twice at the dealership, shooting for Harold's specs with no increase in control. Next week I will be adding powerflex diff bushings and uuc blue racing tranny mounts. Then I will change my specs from Harold's alignment specs to Vac's. For some reason they are very different. For the record, Steve from VAC is not certain the bushings will help. At this point I'm willing to do anything. I will report back.
Post up both alignment specs...I'd be interested in seeing the difference.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 11:12 AM   #57
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Do you have aftermarket rear toe arms? They help reduce rear end squirm under hard acceleration. I'd love to hear nvh feedback of the the poly diff bushings but if you're replacing the tranny mounts at the same time (why wouldn't you to save time and money) I'm guessing your car is going to be pretty loud..g/l
      04-05-2014, 03:09 PM   #58
whosdady
Major
Rep

You may have seen this in another thread but the before and after of the last alignment show both specs. Believe it or not, the before was actually better at -2 camber in the rear. I could post the before from the first alignment but I had the adjustable toe arms installed so it was way out of spec.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 03:13 PM   #59
whosdady
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc 22349a
Quote:
Do you have aftermarket rear toe arms? They help reduce rear end squirm under hard acceleration. I'd love to hear nvh feedback of the the poly diff bushings but if you're replacing the tranny mounts at the same time (why wouldn't you to save time and money) I'm guessing your car is going to be pretty loud..g/l
Yes, I have adjustable toe arms. For me they did very little. I'm hoping the diff bushings and tranny mounts help. My car has a lot of tq and the ST's are maybe a little soft. Plus I'm lowered which doesn't help either.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 03:49 PM   #60
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, I have adjustable toe arms. For me they did very little. I'm hoping the diff bushings and tranny mounts help. My car has a lot of tq and the ST's are maybe a little soft. Plus I'm lowered which doesn't help either.
You should be able to match your rear camber from left to right. Try and do that in your next alignment. Everything else looks ok to me. What is the condition of your tires?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 04:39 PM   #61
whosdady
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehawk
Quote:
You should be able to match your rear camber from left to right. Try and do that in your next alignment. Everything else looks ok to me. What is the condition of your tires?
Sorry, the tech at the dealership said the left and the right in the rear were equal. That it was fixed correctly but the tech next to him bumped it and the read out is wrong. I didn't know this was possible but that is what he said.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 11:18 PM   #62
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Trans and diff mount bushings will not help with the issues you are having. You should look at adjustable rear toe arms if you don't have those already. Is the Powerflex subframe bushings softer or harder than the OEM M3 ones?

You may also want to look at the guide rods for excessive deflection, both at the rod itself and its bushings.

Rear toe settings should be much more than 0.08 each side if you don't have adjustable toe arms and 0.08 or less if you have them.

One last thing, how much does your car squad in the back under hard acceleration? Rear toe changes drastically as the suspension moves up and down.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 08:02 AM   #63
whosdady
Major
Rep

Thanks for posting. I do have adjustable toe arms and I have the powerflex subframe bushings, not the inserts. (I thought they were stiffer than the M3's but I could be mistaken?)

After I install the diff bushings and tranny mounts I will invest in some M3 guide rods. Honestly, it's amazing how much I have spent on this suspension.

The car does squat a little but not enough to see the hood rise like it did on my supra.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 08:19 PM   #64
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
In addition to the M3 guide rods, you can also upgrade to M3 rear wishbones. They are pricey.

I still have to make a slight steering correction under full acceleration despite having upgraded all parts/bushings in the rear besides the three holding the differential. Those must be the key.
Quote:
Honestly, it's amazing how much I have spent on this suspension.
Yep ...
      04-09-2014, 12:22 PM   #65
whosdady
Major
Rep

Well, I will put the wishbones on the list if the guide rods don't do the trick. I'm hoping to install the diff bushings this week and guide rods next week, followed by a new alignment. I will report back.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 09:00 AM   #66
rob1024
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335i

Quote:
Well, I will put the wishbones on the list if the guide rods don't do the trick. I'm hoping to install the diff bushings this week and guide rods next week, followed by a new alignment. I will report back.
The rear upper control arms are not that pricey. Can get a set of 4 from TRW (same as oem except the price) for $440 at ECS tunning. They also have a great price for oem m3 spec toe arms at $150 a pair. I noticed a big difference with the m3 rear bits. Car just corners a lot better. Btw I also have pretty stiff AGK black 95A durometer subf bushes. Next will be the $75 a set whiteline diff bushes. Look the same as powerflex for a fraction of the cost. They are I believe rated at 75a durometer so should be nice streetable upgrade over stock without excessive NHV of solid diff bushes.
Appreciate 0