E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches > Any Diesel fans?

08-24-2015, 07:13 PM   #23
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

So far, heard bad stories also about vw issues at times.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 12:43 AM   #24
Alen E90
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i TiAg

bump

TiAg FTW!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 03:23 PM   #25
tek818
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

Garage List
2018 M3 ZCP  [9.50]
Diesel is a fashion watch, so really if you like how it looks, go for it. I would certainly look into getting an actual timepiece from a reputable watch manufacturer, and not a clothing designer.
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2015, 09:55 PM   #26
neverdone
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5, 335, Ford Lightning, 63 me

If you like gold and watches, look into rose gold, but stay away from diesel garbage. I have this one and it's a killer piece, albeit it is blingy and a bit douchey, but I'm a true collector of actual pieces and not fashion watches, and this fits the bill.

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 10:01 PM   #27
K19BMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi sedan

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverdone View Post
If you like gold and watches, look into rose gold, but stay away from diesel garbage. I have this one and it's a killer piece, albeit it is blingy and a bit douchey, but I'm a true collector of actual pieces and not fashion watches, and this fits the bill.

Lol a rose gold navihawk is absolutely a fashion watch. You sure as hell arent buying that watch to use its 10,000 features hahahah
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 11:37 PM   #28
neverdone
Major
Canada
Rep

It's a fashionable watch, sure, but it's not a fashion watch. A fashion watch is a diesel, d&g, Armani, fossil etc etc.

This is an actual functional watch, unlike most of the fashion brands and ya, I just got the watch, so I haven't used the features, but I bought it for the radio controlled features and to use them.

Like I said, I don't buy fashion watches, in my collection I have some Lum-Tec, Tag, Breitling and Movado Series 800 to name a few, and all of them, if they have the dive functions or any other functions, are all put to use, they're not box queens.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 08:05 AM   #29
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
It's a fashionable watch, sure, but it's not a fashion watch. A fashion watch is a diesel, d&g, Armani, fossil etc etc.

This is an actual functional watch, unlike most of the fashion brands and ya, I just got the watch, so I haven't used the features, but I bought it for the radio controlled features and to use them.

Like I said, I don't buy fashion watches, in my collection I have some Lum-Tec, Tag, Breitling and Movado Series 800 to name a few, and all of them, if they have the dive functions or any other functions, are all put to use, they're not box queens.
Red:
Is there really no more general way to define and identify fashion watches? If not, is there some universally agreed upon list of which companies make only fashion watches? Is it that the watches carrying the name of a maker who also makes garments and other fashion accessories are necessarily, and by association, fashion watches?

Blue:
Well, now, there's something I've never seen: a fashion watch that is not also functional. A few months ago, my father's Rolex wasn't functional, but he's since had it repaired. Perhaps it was temporarily a fashion watch?

All of the fashion watches I've seen have measured and reported, among other things, the time of day. Seeing as you know of some non-functional fashion watches, please share with me what they are.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 09:08 AM   #30
neverdone
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Red:
Is there really no more general way to define and identify fashion watches? If not, is there some universally agreed upon list of which companies make only fashion watches? Is it that the watches carrying the name of a maker who also makes garments and other fashion accessories are necessarily, and by association, fashion watches?

Blue:
Well, now, there's something I've never seen: a fashion watch that is not also functional. A few months ago, my father's Rolex wasn't functional, but he's since had it repaired. Perhaps it was temporarily a fashion watch?

All of the fashion watches I've seen have measured and reported, among other things, the time of day. Seeing as you know of some non-functional fashion watches, please share with me what they are.

All the best.
Fairly condescending in your remarks there I think. Maybe I worded it wrong, but yes I think the definition of a fashion watch is that it's not specifically a watch/jewelry designer. Most of the watches I mentioned are made by the same manufacturing company, that also make Oakley glasses and other things as well and have a lot of the same movements.

As for your other comments, fashion watches may have made functional chrono watches, but as far as I've ever seen, nothing like the Navihawk. If there have been I guess I wouldn't know, I wouldn't buy it.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 12:53 PM   #31
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Fairly condescending in your remarks there I think. Maybe I worded it wrong, but yes I think the definition of a fashion watch is that it's [maker is] not [predominantly] a watch/jewelry designer. Most of the watches I mentioned are made by the same manufacturing company, that also make Oakley glasses and other things as well and have a lot of the same movements.

As for your other comments, fashion watches may have made functional chrono watches, but as far as I've ever seen, nothing like the Navihawk. If there have been I guess I wouldn't know, I wouldn't buy it.
TY for the honest reply. I appreciate that.

Perhaps what you wrote in the earlier post and what you meant aren't the same things. The reworded-by-me text in the first paragraph above is what I think you mean(t).

I would just offer one caution, since it's not among the stuff you wrote either time: don't assume that because a maker doesn't strictly make just watches that the watches they make aren't first rate. There are quite a few designer (non-watch only) brands for which that is far from so.
FWIW, functional watches need only do one thing: measure time. Time measurement doesn't require a displayed stopwatch function. It only requires that some increment of time is measured. A watch doesn't actually have to display/report time; however, it must measure time. A current example of that principle is found in some of Beat Haldimann's watches.

Beat Haldimann H1

Beat Haldiman H9

https://www.hautehorlogerie.org/en/b...eat-haldimann/

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 10:41 PM   #32
Alen E90
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tek818 View Post
Diesel is a fashion watch, so really if you like how it looks, go for it. I would certainly look into getting an actual timepiece from a reputable watch manufacturer, and not a clothing designer.
Thank you for posting. I agree with you that Diesel watches fit the category of a "fashion watch", but nevertheless I just love the way they look!
Quote:

That's a nice watch, but I just personally don't like the brand Citizen.

TiAg FTW!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 11:59 PM   #33
Norseman
Rep
Drives: 328xD Wagon

Quote:
. Quote:

Nobody rocks Diesel?
2015 328xD
Love it.

Never had a Diesel powered watch however.
Should be pretty economical?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 06:27 PM   #34
Alen E90
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

bump

TiAg FTW!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 06:46 PM   #35
Alen E90
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

bump

TiAg FTW!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 12:32 PM   #36
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alen E90 View Post
bump

Are you still looking for more input on the topic? If so what sort of input? Perhaps you'll find articles like this helpful: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/07/fa...tion.html?_r=0 ?

As for the popularity of Diesel watches, well, I'm sure there are people who like them, but the brand (perhaps the maker) isn't among the top brands most people seek when considering a watch. (http://www.ranker.com/list/best-men-...werner-brandes) You may want to check out sites like Watchuseek.com and other consumer oriented watch forums if you are looking for other Diesel fans. I doubt you'll find much if any mention of Diesel on the more serious collector forums like that of the NAWCC, Vintage Collector, or Timezone.

All the best.

Appreciate 1
      09-18-2015, 08:06 PM   #37
Alen E90
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Are you still looking for more input on the topic? If so what sort of input? Perhaps you'll find articles like this helpful: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/07/fa...tion.html?_r=0 ?

As for the popularity of Diesel watches, well, I'm sure there are people who like them, but the brand (perhaps the maker) isn't among the top brands most people seek when considering a watch. (http://www.ranker.com/list/best-men-...werner-brandes) You may want to check out sites like Watchuseek.com and other consumer oriented watch forums if you are looking for other Diesel fans. I doubt you'll find much if any mention of Diesel on the more serious collector forums like that of the NAWCC, Vintage Collector, or Timezone.

All the best.
Thanks for the links, I'll check them out.

TiAg FTW!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 08:54 PM   #38
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alen E90 View Post
Thanks for the links, I'll check them out.
You're welcome.

All the best.

Appreciate 0