E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Trouble with the Law Harassment?

03-28-2007, 02:35 PM   #1
dmitri
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Trouble with the Law Harassment?

Since I won't see my lawyer for another week, I figured it would be worthwile to get a discussion about this...

My car is registered under my Mother's name. We went through the process of getting an exemption from the state of NJ for the tints - My mom has bad glaucoma and has had major eye surgery, and since it is her registered car, she is allowed to have it tinted because of her eyes.

Since I got my license suspended, she has been driving it around and has gotten pulled over twice already for tints. Today, the cop was expecting to see me driving [pulled her over under suspicion that I was driving because they know my car]. I think this is bullsh*t. The next few times she is getting pulled over, we are recording when, where, and getting the badge numbers of the officers. Cops don't pull over a handicap van that has a ramp sticking out, even though that is illegal on a normal car - because it is for a medical disability. Why should a person that has tints for a legitimate medical reason keep getting harrassed by officers for her disability?
Any thoughts on this? Any Lawyers know if this is is reasonable?
      03-28-2007, 03:02 PM   #2
evoi19
Lieutenant General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80C

Well how would the cop know you have your car tinted for a medical reason? Does your plate have the handicap symbol?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2007, 03:34 PM   #3
dmitri
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo119 View Post
Well how would the cop know you have your car tinted for a medical reason? Does your plate have the handicap symbol?
She has an exemption letter, why does she have to waste her time getting pulled over every time a cop feels like it? There is a problem with the system of pulling her over persistently just because of tints...
Also I think handicap plates wouldn't make a difference for getting pulled over, it needs to come up on their computers the reason why someone has tints, and currently I don't think it does
      03-28-2007, 05:41 PM   #4
Glacked
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328i

If they cannot see who is driving and know the vehicle as being driven by you - someone who cannot drive legally, then that probably comes to the level of probable cause for the stop. I would think that after once or twice they would see you not driving and associate it with her - but that is a guess.

Might be worth a call to a supervisor to ask. Most 1984 claims as small as what you are talking about - I'm supposing you are thinking that based off wanting to talk to an attorney - might go easier if you have taken reasonable steps to figure out this issue.

Quote:
why does she have to waste her time getting pulled over every time a cop feels like it
Unless you have it printed in big, bold letters where everyone can read it from a distance, just how are the LEOs supposed to know it's legal? I understand your frustrations, but you cannot expect everyone to get a memo on your vehicle... that's just unreasonable. Again, a quick call to a super might get a note attached to your tag number in their computer. It'll only be for that jurisdiction, but it might help.

Good luck... and get your license back!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2007, 08:47 PM   #5
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Wow, I do not look forward to a day when the cops "know my car" and pull it over because they think I might be driving it. That sounds like bad news.

More to the point of your question, though, I agree with Glacked, that the cops seem to be acting reasonably if they're pulling over a car under the suspicion that it is being driven by someone with a suspended license, or because the tint is illegal. I suspect she's not the only one with a medical exemption for dark tint that gets pulled over on a regular basis. Probably most people with that exemption keep the letter in the glove box or somewhere handy.

When I was really into photography, there were several locations, especially around here in DC, where I had to get a tripod permit or photographer's permit to shoot. Whenever I did, I always kept the permit handy because you get stopped at least a dozen times during the day by various cops saying "you can't shoot here." Just something you have to deal with when you've been granted an exception to break the rules. Just be friendly; the cops are doing their job.