E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > *** Review - 395bhp (approx) DMS Remap on E92 335i ***

12-26-2008, 01:45 PM   #1
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Talking *** Review - 395bhp (approx) DMS Remap on E92 335i ***

I think it's about time that I wrote about all the latest updates on my car, which is now pretty much finished...!!

Lots has happened over the last few weeks and months, not least a fabulous new remap by the guys at DMS Automotive in Totton near Southampton

When I first started out modifying my car, I made the conscious decision to leave the power upgrade till the very end - it was more important to me to make the car handle better, grip better, then stop better, before making it go faster. Seems to make sense to me - get the most out of the car's factory speed, make sure everything works to the best of its ability, then up the power once you know the car can take it

To that end, I had installed the Quaife LSD & uprated Hartge antiroll bars , then the AP Racing 6 pot front and 4 pot rear brakes (review coming). I have also upgraded some of the front suspension components with M3 items (tension struts and lower control arms - again a review is coming) which have tightened up the front end bite and handling by replacing the standard sloppy hydraulic bushes with solid polyurethene variants. The M3 front strut brace has also replaced the normal version in my car. I have also had an upgraded intercooler from Code3 installed, along with a larger oil cooler from VK Motorwerks (review on both also coming!).

Told you it was a big list!!
What else? Have stuck a K&N panel filter in replacement of the OEM air filter. I don't particularly want to do anything to the exhaust, as although I would like a more menacing tone to the exhaust note, I can't bear the thought of having a car that drones on the motorway. Just going to keep it standard I think (I don't really need any more power...! )

I've also had a full detail from Paul at Shine On Auto Detail, and had Paintshield applied to my car, but both those are cosmetic things so not really in the realm of 'modifications'!!

But, to the main story.... the DMS remap

I've been considering a remap on my car ever since I got it 18 months ago. Jimbob has always waxed lyrical about the Procede on his E93, and whilst I like the way it goes, I've never really got on with the inelegance of the whole setup. Although I love gadgets and things like that, I was never keen on the idea of having a unit where I could change the maps and settings on a whim. Rather, I really wanted an ECU remap that would just sit there, work well, not give any limp modes or other hassles, and would effectively be 'invisible'.

Birds Auto, who are good friends of mine, had at that time a solution from a company in Germany, although there were a few doubts over the effectiveness of the remap. It appeared that it didn't do exactly what the German company (NOT Hartge incidentally) claimed (a fact revealed at the first rolling road day we hosted in Marlowe). I should add at this point that Birds no longer use the mapping products from the company in Germany as Birds have since become the sole UK representatives and outlet for the highly respected Dinan Tuning company from the USA.

Without any other options, I had to wait until this summer, when the code to reprogram the MDS80 ECU in my car was 'made available' to the majority of tuners. As you all will have realised, tuners got on the bandwagon very quickly and started developing remaps for the 335i, and Evolve Motorsport were one of the first, if not the first, to market their product.

I had thought about going to Imran and Sal at Evolve, but as it was one of the first products available I wanted to see how it faired over the first few months of its life. I can only assume that Evolve's product has developed and improved since its application in Steve's (BMWBailey) car and I wouldn't mind at some stage trying one of the latest iterations of their remaps on their demo car.

In the meantime, I'd stayed in contact with the guys at DMS who I've known for a few years. I knew that they had a reliable map already sorted, which produced an estimated 360bhp and I was keen to see what they could do with a full custom map on my car. A couple of trips to Southampton later and my car ended up on their Dyno Dynamics rolling road for initial performance measurement.

All the figures produced on the rolling road are measured at the wheel. Given there is some debate over the automatic transmission loss percentages (anything from 18% to 24% has been bandied about - I'm sticking to 20% as an average) and other variables that can be influenced, I have decided to avoid posting any estimated flywheel graphs, as I don't want any tuner-wars No slagging each other off!!!

As standard, my car produced 252bhp at the wheels, which is very healthy!! Assuming a standard 20% transmission loss, that equates to an estimated 315bhp at the flywheel. This was the second of a batch of three runs, and produced the healthiest standard figures.

Then, it was a case of firstly taking a direct copy of the standard ECU, just in case anything went wrong with the uploading and reprogramming. A backup is always handy! This took about an hour to read the ECU, during which time I talked a lot to Rob Young, MD of DMS, about the development programme which they undertook. They had originally bought a 335i saloon when it first was released, but due to the protection software on the ECU, couldn't get close to cracking the code without disabling the internal checksum routine that BMW had built in (this is important, as it's a key identifier of whether an ECU has been played around with or not). Those tuners who did go down the checksum-disable route wound up with ECU problems (not advised!)

Nevertheless, the solution presented itself just before the summer and work restarted in earnest. Their basic development map was loaded on to my car to get some benchmark figures - although I don't have the graphs here to show, this initially gave 284bhp at the wheels - a fairly healthy gain of 33bhp. The power curve was smooth and mirrored the standard curve quite well, with torque to match the increase too. However, this was only the start of the process and the next four hours were spent fine-tuning the fuel/air mixture ratio, ignition timing and so on...

The end result ?? After a total of eight dyno runs and a good 100 miles of actual road testing, we achieved an incredible 315.7bhp, with a calculated peak torque of about 364lbft at the wheels That's an increase of pretty much 64 wheel horsepower

Name:  DMS-Remap.jpg
Views: 21402
Size:  271.8 KB

Assuming the same 20% transmission loss, that sort of equates to 395bhp and 455lbft or 616Nm at the flywheel It's only supposed to have 306hp and 400Nm of torque as standard!!!

One of the good things of the DMS map is that none of the BMW safety parameters in the ECU or gearbox have been removed. This way, the gearbox in particular is protected and if there is excessive torque, it will put the car into limp mode rather than blowing up!!

You can see from the graphs that the power and torque curves are ridiculously linear and smooth, and this is translated into the most seamless drive in real life. The car is totally transformed - takeoffs are completely smooth and fuss-free, as the ignition timing and fueling remains standard below 3000 revs or so. Once beyond that point, the extra power and torque really make themselves felt, although at no point does my car feel like a traditional turbo-charged motor. There is no real discernable step in power delivery - it's just one constant push towards the horizon. Gear changes are effected smoothly, with no jerks or hesitation. This is how I've always imagined the best remaps to be - an enhancement of the standard car's driving characteristics, with no drawbacks. And really, there are ZERO drawbacks. Even the MPG on a cruise has improved (I got 37mpg average on a sedate 80mph run up the M3 and round the M25)

As you can tell, I'm really really happy The DMS guys really did a fantastic job, and the proof really is in the driving. Thanks to Rob, Darren and Mike for their hard work

I would get a fair bit more power with an exhaust and cold air intake system, but I don't know if I could live with the extra noise I think the car is pretty much fast enough anyway!!!

That's pretty much it for the car in that case. All the hardware has been done now, and cosmetically it's beautiful... guess I'll just keep adding the miles!!

Name:  IMG_0113.jpg
Views: 20713
Size:  288.2 KB
Name:  IMG_0121.jpg
Views: 20974
Size:  218.3 KB

Last edited by E92Fan; 12-27-2008 at 01:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2008, 02:35 PM   #2
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
England
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE GT3

That is very impresive mate , my car was done by Evolve and although still running standard intercooler/ oil cooler the end result was 362 bhp and 420lbs tourqe which is pretty good I think , I have the Hartge rear quad pipes and I can recommend them they do not drone on the motorway but give a real nice throaty sound hope to do more mods next year.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2008, 03:14 PM   #3
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEYBMW1 View Post
That is very impresive mate , my car was done by Evolve and although still running standard intercooler/ oil cooler the end result was 362 bhp and 420lbs tourqe which is pretty good I think , I have the Hartge rear quad pipes and I can recommend them they do not drone on the motorway but give a real nice throaty sound hope to do more mods next year.
Is your car black in colour? If so, I think I saw it at Birds in the middle to late November?? Looked very good if it was yours!!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2008, 03:22 PM   #4
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Tony, great write up mate, Been waiting for your forum feedback. I love your car and your attention to detail with the tuning.

I can vouch for DMS 110% Rob being a top man who knows his stuff and Mike really knows how to run an operation.

I saw Tony just after he had the map done, and did a rolling start run with him.. The results speak for themselves.

The 335i remap on Tony's car is incredible. He pulled away from the infamous DXB pretty well and my car aint slow.

So Tony, what is there left to do?

Carlos
      12-26-2008, 09:49 PM   #5
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 xDrive35d M Sport

Garage List
Great review of your mods big fella. I have to say i think the way you have gone about modifying your car is probably the most methodical and thorough ive ever witnessed. You know im a huge fan of both you and your motor, you because of your true indepth and personal knowledge of your car and the mods you have done and your motor because it really is a sheep in wolfs clothing!! Finally, i can also vouch for just how bloody quick your car is as i had the pleasure of driving in it only a few days ago but also had the "displeasure" of having you wedged up my new Porker tailpipes at 170mph around the M25 when we collected my 997 C2S the very same day!!
Hope you had a great Xmas and i look forward to more motoring shananigans with you and the crew in 2009!!!!
      12-26-2008, 10:20 PM   #6
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbailey View Post
Great review of your mods big fella. I have to say i think the way you have gone about modifying your car is probably the most methodical and thorough ive ever witnessed. You know im a huge fan of both you and your motor, you because of your true indepth and personal knowledge of your car and the mods you have done and your motor because it really is a sheep in wolfs clothing!! Finally, i can also vouch for just how bloody quick your car is as i had the pleasure of driving in it only a few days ago but also had the "displeasure" of having you wedged up my new Porker tailpipes at 170mph around the M25 when we collected my 997 C2S the very same day!!
Hope you had a great Xmas and i look forward to more motoring shananigans with you and the crew in 2009!!!!

We didn't do 170mph!!!! Take 100mph off that and you'd be about right... sheesh...!
That Merc driver on the other hand... ohmygod what a KNOB...!

Lovely C2S by the way
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2008, 10:32 PM   #7
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 xDrive35d M Sport

Garage List
No, of course we didnt Officer - honest!!!! Amazing how quick 70mph feels!!! Hope i didnt pebble dash your front end too much - assume the Paintshield did its job!!!??
      12-26-2008, 11:16 PM   #8
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
No, of course we didnt Officer - honest!!!! Amazing how quick 70mph feels!!! Hope i didnt pebble dash your front end too much - assume the Paintshield did its job!!!??
Blemish free!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2008, 11:12 AM   #9
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
England
Rep

Quote:
you sure do get through your cars buddy. by the way nice motor
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2008, 11:14 AM   #10
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
Is your car black in colour? If so, I think I saw it at Birds in the middle to late November?? Looked very good if it was yours!!
no buddy mine is space grey with coral red leather m3 wheels m3 rear spoiler ac roof spoiler ac front apron ,Hartge rear pipes and diffuser, looks the nuts to be honest and flys now.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2008, 12:16 PM   #11
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi

Nice review Tony
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 10:09 AM   #12
Mark II
The Grim Reapers Love Child
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M-Sport Coupe

Excellent write-up Tony

I think your estimate of a 20% loss through the transmission to be about right - so that's a VERY healthy increase in power and torque for a petrol motor and a great looking graph - good usable power.

BTW: Which urethane bushes did you use?

Previous: e92 M-Sport. TiAg. Black Dakota. Creamy 6cyl diesel. Stage II Tune. Performance exhaust. K&N. Auto+paddles. Quaife LSD. BMW BBK+Cool Carbon S/T. Goodridge. 19" Breyton Race GTS. Vredesteins. M3 lip. Prof nav. Xenons. Voice. Sun protection. Pdc. etc..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 09:57 PM   #13
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II View Post
Excellent write-up Tony

I think your estimate of a 20% loss through the transmission to be about right - so that's a VERY healthy increase in power and torque for a petrol motor and a great looking graph - good usable power.

BTW: Which urethane bushes did you use?
I think 20% is about right, as the ZF technical guys told me a few weeks ago that the 6HP19TU automatic gearbox suffers an approximate 18.1% drivetrain loss within itself. Couple that with the rest of the vehicle's drivetrain, that would equate to about 20% total...

The urethane bushes are actually built into the M3 suspension components. The front tension struts on the 335 use hydraulic bushes, which have a lot of play within them. The M3 variants use a solid poly bush and are a direct fit replacement - takes all of ten minutes to install once the car is up on a ramp.

The lower wishbones / control arms are much the same thing - instead of a sloppy rubber bush, it uses a big solid poly bush. However, the M3 control arms a couple of mm longer than normal, because they are designed to give 0.75degrees MORE negative camber than the 335i. They were an easy replacement too, although the car does need to be camber adjusted again after installation.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 04:23 AM   #14
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Superb write-up Tony

Hope you had a great Christmas and the dinner went well!!

Can't wait to join you and the boys for some fun in 2009
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 06:27 AM   #15
Mark II
The Grim Reapers Love Child
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M-Sport Coupe

Quote:
I think 20% is about right, as the ZF technical guys told me a few weeks ago that the 6HP19TU automatic gearbox suffers an approximate 18.1% drivetrain loss within itself. Couple that with the rest of the vehicle's drivetrain, that would equate to about 20% total...
The modern AT's are so much better than they used to be - amazing now, looking back on things like the old 3 speed BW-35

I would imagine the design of the Quaife diff would also help to keep losses to a minimum and in that regard would probably be better than one fitted to the M3.

Quote:
urethane bushes are actually built into the M3 suspension components.
Interesting, didn't know that - I thought you were going to say Powerflex.

Previous: e92 M-Sport. TiAg. Black Dakota. Creamy 6cyl diesel. Stage II Tune. Performance exhaust. K&N. Auto+paddles. Quaife LSD. BMW BBK+Cool Carbon S/T. Goodridge. 19" Breyton Race GTS. Vredesteins. M3 lip. Prof nav. Xenons. Voice. Sun protection. Pdc. etc..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 06:36 AM   #16
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Tony, your car is da bowlacks.
      12-29-2008, 08:42 AM   #17
phantome46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Convertible - Sakhir

Excellent write up - would be very interested in the DMS remap. Can you just buy it off the shelf?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 11:38 AM   #18
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Great write up Tony, and the car looks great

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantome46 View Post
Excellent write up - would be very interested in the DMS remap. Can you just buy it off the shelf?
Not off the shelf as such, more you take your car to them, or alternatively they come to you,great service from DMS.

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 07:32 AM   #19
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by booforty View Post
Hope you had a great Christmas
Can't wait to join you and the boys for some fun in 2009

Was busy! You and 'Ness have a good one too? Need to convince you to go down to DMS to get your M3 done... when i was there last, they had a customer car in, which after being mapped developed an extra 22bhp at the wheels over standard, with an even smoother power curve... drove fabulously!!! Go on, you know you want to... just so you can try and keep up with me a bit easier!!!

Here's the graph from that customer's M3... details taken off to protect privacy obviously... Figures represents horsepower and torque at the wheels - shows standard, and remapped figures

Name:  M3_E92_PWnn.gif
Views: 20684
Size:  17.3 KB

Last edited by E92Fan; 12-30-2008 at 07:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 07:50 AM   #20
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantome46 View Post
DMS have a range of baseline maps, on which they develop a custom map for each and every car. The reason being that each car has different characteristics, with some engines from the factory stronger than others (for whatever reason). You go to DMS, they download the standard ECU from your car as a backup, put the car on the rollers and get a first power output as standard. Then the basic map goes on, the car gets put up on the rollers again and you see what the difference is. Then it's a matter of tweaking where necessary to get the maximum reliable performance whilst giving better than factory drivability.

Effectively it's a mixture of off-the-shelf and bespoke...
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 11:04 AM   #21
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

You must have some self control? most people go for a power upgrade first and the brakes last!

Have you been reading the Mr 5 and Orb's postings re the M3 suspension and strut brace per chance? What springs and dampers are you running? Do you pay attention to Orb'd load transfer and rear suspension frequency numbers or your own subjective assestment?

Great jobs with the mods The car looks standard (save the AP's) and low key but it's performance is in a different league.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 12:23 PM   #22
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
You must have some self control? most people go for a power upgrade first and the brakes last!

Have you been reading the Mr 5 and Orb's postings re the M3 suspension and strut brace per chance? What springs and dampers are you running? Do you pay attention to Orb'd load transfer and rear suspension frequency numbers or your own subjective assestment?

Great jobs with the mods The car looks standard (save the AP's) and low key but it's performance is in a different league.

I personally think I believe in self-preservation first... going fast is one thing, being able to stop is quite another!!

I have been reading Orb's musings about the suspension and strut brace... it does make interesting reading, although I do wonder sometimes where all the figures come from. However be that as it may, I have done some mods to my car along the same lines as you know. However, I firmly believe, as do the people from Alpina, that the dampers that BMW use are actually quite well specified. It's more the spring rating and secondary damping (or rubber bump stops) that need refining. To that end, I have followed Alpina's route - the front springs are of a slightly different rating, and I have changed the front rubber bump stops to items from the 335xi. The rear dampers and springs are completely stock.

I have no empirical data to give regarding load transfer or rear suspension frequency. To be honest, I don't really care! You must remember that the type of roads that Orb et al are driving on over in the US and Canada are vastly different to the challenging bitumen that we face here in the UK. For me, lowering springs and/or uprated dampers, or even coilovers, are largely wasted in the UK on our cars as for me, the art of going quickly over B-roads is to have excellent mechanical grip, good roll resistance, and supple suspension which can absorb the camber changes, ruts and bumps. Having a stiffer suspension setup will in most cases slow down a car when driving on such roads. The track obviously is a different animal - however I don't think any of us are using our cars as a dedicated track tool!

For Orb and the others in the US, they want to stiffen the rear subframe so that higher-rated springs and dampers can be used more effectively. I personally don't think that is necessary - anyone who has been in my car, or actually driven it, have all said that they feel they can go quicker, safer, and in more comfort than more stiffly spring variants (such as the Hartge car, which is way too stiff in the rear). Even on the very fast negative-g Fuchsrohre section of the Nurburgring, when the car does 140+mph into a long dip left-handed dip in the road, the suspension never reaches full compression (which it does in a lot of other cars).

I firmly believe that the way to achieving the best handling out of our cars is by the fitment of an LSD for extra traction, a fine tuning of the subtleties of the suspension and running gear, and uprating the antiroll bars to reduce the roll rate and neutralise the handling bias away from on-limit understeer.

And thank you - I do like the way my car looks completely and utterly standard, save for the AP brakes... it certainly does surprise a few people!!
Appreciate 0