E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > washing car parts after repaint?

11-17-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
insane79
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 lci

washing car parts after repaint?

Hi Guys,
I m getting my car back from the dealer tom after getting the rear bumper repainted, i have also got my wheels painted to gunmetal. I want to know if its ok if i can wash the rear bumper & wheels which will have fresh paint on them? over here this side of the world(asia) we wash our cars with just plain water more frequently, is that ok since there are no detergent or cleaners used?

Thanks..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
gewse2k
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 320i

just water and ph-neutral soap shouldn't be a problem.

you should give the paint some time to harden before polishing, waxing, etc..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 10:43 AM   #3
insane79
Major
No_Country
Rep

ok will just wash it with water for few weeks till the paint hardens.

Thanks..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 04:41 PM   #4
insane79
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gewse2k View Post
just water and ph-neutral soap shouldn't be a problem.

you should give the paint some time to harden before polishing, waxing, etc..
ok been washing the car with neutral soup only, any idea what is the time frame for the new paint to harden up? want to wax the car.

Thanks..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #5
insane79
Major
No_Country
Rep

hi guys,
Its been almost 30days now since i got my rear bumper & wheels painted, should i wait abit long for waxing the car? i was thinking of waxing the car & just leaving the rear bumper the untouched
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #6
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
what part of EARTH you livin..........
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #7
insane79
Major
No_Country
Rep

i m from India
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEEDI View Post
what part of EARTH you livin..........

Update-
So got the car foam washed & waxed today, its been almost 40days since the bumper repaint, got a tiny scratch on my rear bumper few days back so just toke the plunge & got the car washed, clayed & waxed.
Hope all goes well, will update soon.

Thanks..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 03:47 PM   #8
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by insane79 View Post
i m from India

Update-
So got the car foam washed & waxed today, its been almost 40days since the bumper repaint, got a tiny scratch on my rear bumper few days back so just toke the plunge & got the car washed, clayed & waxed.
Hope all goes well, will update soon.

Thanks..
Bhaae mere; aise bolo na..........

you should consider following things to protect your car

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 05:33 PM   #9
Elliott@DetailAddict
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Some people say its 3 - 6 weeks before the paint cures. I say wait for 6+ to be sure, it might even depend on the weather too. You should always use pH neutral soap. Also, when you polish fresh paint, just take a look afterwards to see if the correction rate is high/low just to know the personality of the paint there, and see if the polish actually finished down properly and if the paint is finishing with a shine and not with marring.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 05:41 PM   #10
insane79
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiem@DetailAddict View Post
Some people say its 3 - 6 weeks before the paint cures. I say wait for 6+ to be sure, it might even depend on the weather too. You should always use pH neutral soap. Also, when you polish fresh paint, just take a look afterwards to see if the correction rate is high/low just to know the personality of the paint there, and see if the polish actually finished down properly and if the paint is finishing with a shine and not with marring.
nice info, i basically got a scratch on the same repainted bumper & just got upset, so it was 40 days since the repaint of the bumper & decided to get the car foam washed as it was very dirty. after the wash got it polished by Autoglym Super Resin Polish which is more like a filler then a wax, Its was applied by hand and no rotary machine, it made the full car shine as my car is 4 years old & the rear bumper was standing out abit with more shine then the rest of the car. Will take a look at the shine on the repainted bumper but by normal glances now the AW on the car goes well all around compare to before. Here is a link of the polish i used-
http://www.autoglym.com/products/pro...r-resin-polish

Thanks..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 05:51 PM   #11
Elliott@DetailAddict
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Do be careful about fillers, when we do heavy corrections, before we apply the wax (or anything with filler properties.) We actually take a look at the car see its condition before we apply any wax. We do an alcohol wipe down (70% isopropyl, diluted.) The point is that you want to see what your "end" results are before applying any wax. You can potentially hide stuff, and when you wash your car the next time you'd see the scratches that "weren't" there before.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 05:59 PM   #12
insane79
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiem@DetailAddict View Post
Do be careful about fillers, when we do heavy corrections, before we apply the wax (or anything with filler properties.) We actually take a look at the car see its condition before we apply any wax. We do an alcohol wipe down (70% isopropyl, diluted.) The point is that you want to see what your "end" results are before applying any wax. You can potentially hide stuff, and when you wash your car the next time you'd see the scratches that "weren't" there before.
Hmmn, so basically the product the autoglym guys used is not a strong sealant like a wax, its seems more like a filler, they were going to put their wax after the super resin polish but told them not to put it. This polish leaves a very slight sealant protection but isn't as strong as wax. The thing is i m super paranoid with any of these guys using a rotary or da machine on my car as i feel it eats abit of the clear coat away, so went to these guys & said to polish with hand & then they recommended me this product of theirs, the results are surprisingly good for a hand application but i know it won't last for long
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 06:25 PM   #13
Elliott@DetailAddict
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

haha yeah rotary used wrong can chew up clear coat fast. But that statement also varies with what polish too as well. If you use a light polish maybe not as much, heavier yes.

Try detailing it yourself with an orbital machine. Relatively safe and totally user friendly. I don't let others wash my car, but then again I do it for a profession so I get more paranoid about people. haha

I haven't tried their products personally. We have customers who uses them and come in for a routine detail, their cars seems to be in a pretty good shape. But that's also maybe how they take care of it as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 04:01 AM   #14
insane79
Major
No_Country
Rep

yup i guess orbital machines are less aggressive to the clearcoat? anyways luckily my car is AW & not a dark shade so i can get away with just these filler polishes & waxes.
Appreciate 0