Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > R-Compound tires grip significantly better for straight line acclerating taction?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

11-25-2011, 08:15 PM   #1
UltimateLurker
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i AW M-Sport

R-Compound tires grip significantly better for straight line acclerating taction?

Sorry about my horrible title grammar. Do R-Compound tires hold straight line accelerating traction significantly better than a high performance summer tire of the same size? I ask this because I am beginning to experience the effects of too much power on straightline acceleration in 2-3 and 3-4 gear with the new vishnu aggressive maps. I currently run Falken FK-452's that are at the wear indicators and want to know if its beneficial to step up to Falken's RT-615K or if I'm wasting money and sacrificing durability. Also if you have any other model tires for increased straight line grip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
If only JB3 would do that too.

Last edited by UltimateLurker; 11-25-2011 at 08:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 08:51 PM   #2
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateLurker View Post
Sorry about my horrible title grammar. Do R-Compound tires hold straight line accelerating traction significantly better than a high performance summer tire of the same size? I ask this because I am beginning to experience the effects of too much power on straightline acceleration in 2-3 and 3-4 gear with the new vishnu aggressive maps. I currently run Falken FK-452's that are at the wear indicators and want to know if its beneficial to step up to Falken's RT-615K or if I'm wasting money and sacrificing durability. Also if you have any other model tires for increased straight line grip.
Good question. I was spinning even on the 4-5 shift at around 125mph at Willow Springs two weeks ago. I have the Procede with meth, etc and running 19" Nitto Invo's. I don't think R compound tires will do you any good until they are warmed up and that's not really controllable for daily driving. Since you have the Procede, why don't you try adjusting the traction control threshold a bit? That's what I'm going to try next.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 09:26 PM   #3
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

If you're more concerned with straight line speed, you need to step ALL THE WAY up to drag radials rather than tinker with R-Comps. Yes R-Comps are stickier than their street tire counterparts, but for straight line performance drag radials are far more effective than R-Comps because R-Comps tend to have much stiffer sidewall, which reduces the deformation of the tire upon compression, which reduces grip (compared to drag radials) in a straight line. The stiffer sidewall helps cornering by keeping the contact patch in shape, but in a straight line you want the sidewalls to deflect and deform as you accelerate on the drive wheel.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 03:12 PM   #4
UltimateLurker
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i AW M-Sport

I would like to retain good handling characteristics, so I'm not interested in venturing into drag radial tires for this daily driver. I figured that R-Compound street tires would be a good median between summer and drag radials. So consensus says that R-Compound won't make a signficant difference in straight line traction without being heat up first? Just to clarify, I don't need launching traction, just traction at speed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
If only JB3 would do that too.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 03:19 PM   #5
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateLurker View Post
I would like to retain good handling characteristics, so I'm not interested in venturing into drag radial tires for this daily driver. I figured that R-Compound street tires would be a good median between summer and drag radials. So consensus says that R-Compound won't make a signficant difference in straight line traction without being heat up first? Just to clarify, I don't need launching traction, just traction at speed.
Yes, they will definitely help. Go as wide as you can to help also.
Limited slip diff will help the most though.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 04:49 PM   #6
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Even the most street friendly r-comps will wear out very fast, and they'll hydroplane on wet roads, and they'll make so much noise, you'll think something's wrong with your car.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 05:02 PM   #7
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
If you can find them, the best bet is Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's. They were unfortunately discontinued for the Asymetrico. The GSD3's were phenominal in both wet and dry traction conditions. I had them on a few cars including M's. The best way I can describe is this: has some on a KO4 turbo'd 1.8T front wheel drive (over 300 lb ft of torque). I could rev to redline, drop the clutch and get little to no wheelspin and just take off. None of the tires I've had since then can compare.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 10:10 PM   #8
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Freak Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
If you can find them, the best bet is Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's. They were unfortunately discontinued for the Asymetrico. The GSD3's were phenominal in both wet and dry traction conditions. I had them on a few cars including M's. The best way I can describe is this: has some on a KO4 turbo'd 1.8T front wheel drive (over 300 lb ft of torque). I could rev to redline, drop the clutch and get little to no wheelspin and just take off. None of the tires I've had since then can compare.
Owned a set of GS D3's on my 98 prelude (haha i know) anyway, best tires I have ever owned for any condition except obviously snow.

Hit puddles going 85 and they chewed right thru. Every time I go to buy new tires I just want those back.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 01:04 PM   #9
flip4335
General Nuisance in a Private Conveyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: like it's rented

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AW325xi View Post
Limited slip diff will help the most though.
+1 on LSD!

Really, tire selection depends on what you want to do.

I assume you are tracking your ride.

R-Compounds are only good for sunny, dry track use and not recommended as daily drivers in variable weather conditions because they won't last long, as others have said, and lack the safety built into extreme performance tires like Bridgestone RE-11s or Dunlop Direzzas.

BMWCCA Member # 414198 |E90|SGM|6MT|Premium|Cold|Sport|Tint|LCI MSport Conversion|MTech|Blacklines|219M|PSS|Quaife|Helix FMIC|M3 Suspension|Megan Racing|GC Camber Plates/Coilovers|Eibach 440/800#|AR Catted DP|Cobb AP|StopTech Drilled/Slotted|SS Brake Lines|DWS
Quaife Review: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311570
Appreciate 0