E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Possibly punctured runflats

10-21-2011, 03:01 AM   #1
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

Possibly punctured runflats

I picked up a set of BMW wheels which had run flats on them for my winter wheels.

I measured the pressure and they were all around 2bar when they should have been 2.7 and i said to the seller they were all punctured.

In a couple of them i found things stuck in the centre of the tread that could be nails, but now thinking back, it is possible they are just surface pickup, because they all seemed to be around the same pressure.

If they were punctured, wouldn't all the air be out?

Anyway, i never pumped them up to find out as the tyres came off for the winters. When they came off i inspected them and couldn't find any signs of nails poking through.

This leaves me in a dilema, i can't sell them (they have about 5 - 6mm) as they could be punctured. But if not i'm loosing out or someone could get a bargain. On the other hand, if i move them on, i have to do so as punctured to not fleece anyone.

Would anyone/any company be interested in these for next to no money or shall i just scrap them?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 04:54 AM   #2
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

Since you didn't pump them up and check if the pressure remained constant or dropped, now you don't know.

It's unlikely all four had punctures.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 08:06 AM   #3
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
On the off chance that the tyres are Bridgestone and they are 19" I might be interested in the rears.

Are they 255/30's?

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 08:29 AM   #4
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaishang View Post
Since you didn't pump them up and check if the pressure remained constant or dropped, now you don't know.

It's unlikely all four had punctures.
I did miss my chance to test them, i would have to take the winters off to do that. I'd rather just sell as worse case scenario for peanuts or just scrap them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
On the off chance that the tyres are Bridgestone and they are 19" I might be interested in the rears.

Are they 255/30's?
Unfortunately, no mate they are 17" all round 225/45/17 i believe.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 11:17 AM   #5
ed335d
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

How can be so sure they're punctured if you don't know that they were at a different pressure previously
      10-21-2011, 12:19 PM   #6
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
How can be so sure they're punctured if you don't know that they were at a different pressure previously
I took my pressure gauge with me when buying the wheels and the pressure was low so i inspected the tread and saw what i thought to be metal / screw in the tread. But i detected no puncture through the carcass on the inner part.

It's a bit odd that all 4 were around 2bar (like a poorly maintained set of tyres perhaps). But with the appearance of the metal pickup in the tread i assumed they were punctured and haggled the guy.

It's possible they aren't but i would be a joker if i sold them as fine (just in case they aren't). It's my fault for not running them for a week to see if they held pressure.

The alloys are fine as my winters have been rock solid.

I've lost out here i guess. The only thing i can suggest is, if anyone is interested they can come and pick these up and have them for free.

If they are ok they can paypal me what they think they are worth, if they aren't they can either scrap them or ebay them.

If they decide to deceive me then they will have to live with the fact that they are a co*k for the rest of their lives
Appreciate 0