E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > BMW 335d vs Audi S3 1.8T

02-10-2011, 05:14 AM   #45
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C350 Coupe

Garage List
Totally different dynamics to the MK1...and yes they do look damned good!

RockIt!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 05:29 AM   #46
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaheed1 View Post
Hey,

I think you know what I mean....it's just hasn't that 'feel' you get from BMW's. I know I might sound ultra bias when I say that. Even the RS4 which I drove - tremendous engine and traction - but it was all spoilt by that, almost, 'unwanted' feeling you get when driving a fast Audi. Yet, compared that to my recent escapades in an M3 - I would chose the M3 all day long. HOWEVER....If i was to choose one for my wife to drive with the little'un - it would be the RS4. Of course, I wouldn't say 'no' if someone offered to give me an RS4 for nowt

How's the TTRS treating you?
My problem is cynicism as to what I read and prefer to make my own judgements based on actual experience. I think some cars give the appearance of that 'feeling' and others are a surprise tbh. I will never comment on a car unless I've actually driven it at length, hence I don't feel in a position to comment about the S3, know nothing about them. However I have driven three M3's at length and had the car been what I wanted and liked then it would be parked on the drive.

I never actually thought I'd ever buy an Audi tbh as they never appealed and I had this thought of boring etc but then I saw an article about the S5 and thought what the hell, go and try one.....well 5 actually lol. The rest is history and without doubt a capable car in many respects and one which I had every confidence in and thoroughly enjoyed driving and owning. I wouldn't describe the Audi models I've driven as an 'unwanted' feeling, more 'without drama' and not giving you the illusion of drama. I'm talking driving on the road obviously.

When I drove Steve A's RS4 I instantly felt at home with that car much more than a M3, it really felt so planted and I loved the steering, brakes, handling, grip all of it tbh, but we're all different. I just felt that car would cover A-B with some aplomb! So ultimately horses for courses.

This is where my reservations about the RS5 come in.......rev, rev, rev - if so not for me really but again, until I drive one at length, which I will in time, then I can't comment. I've no reservations about the quality of the interior and build quality and the cabin will be a very nice place to be. Fuel prices put me off at the mo also.

As for the TTRS......it's getting quicker lol and bags of fun with the noise to match.

Not hundred percent sure about the Toyo tyres, maybe I'm just hooked on Pirellis. Brakes are superb btw, and the steering gets better the faster you go, it is very direct at speed and plenty of feedback on the road........never been on a track with it.

The ride is figdety.........but does it leave me numb........nah!

But unlike Matt I'm not a font of all knowledge of all cars built by a manufacturer so without looking foolish, I'll comment on what I have actually experienced.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 05:38 AM   #47
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Driven alot of Audi's. Liked the TTS but not quick enough! S4 nice but slightly numb! Same with A5's! Loved R8 V8 and RS6 although didn't like the RS6 at slow speed!
      02-10-2011, 06:05 AM   #48
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
My problem is cynicism as to what I read and prefer to make my own judgements based on actual experience. I think some cars give the appearance of that 'feeling' and others are a surprise tbh. I will never comment on a car unless I've actually driven it at length, hence I don't feel in a position to comment about the S3, know nothing about them. However I have driven three M3's at length and had the car been what I wanted and liked then it would be parked on the drive.

I never actually thought I'd ever buy an Audi tbh as they never appealed and I had this thought of boring etc but then I saw an article about the S5 and thought what the hell, go and try one.....well 5 actually lol. The rest is history and without doubt a capable car in many respects and one which I had every confidence in and thoroughly enjoyed driving and owning. I wouldn't describe the Audi models I've driven as an 'unwanted' feeling, more 'without drama' and not giving you the illusion of drama. I'm talking driving on the road obviously.

When I drove Steve A's RS4 I instantly felt at home with that car much more than a M3, it really felt so planted and I loved the steering, brakes, handling, grip all of it tbh, but we're all different. I just felt that car would cover A-B with some aplomb! So ultimately horses for courses.

This is where my reservations about the RS5 come in.......rev, rev, rev - if so not for me really but again, until I drive one at length, which I will in time, then I can't comment. I've no reservations about the quality of the interior and build quality and the cabin will be a very nice place to be. Fuel prices put me off at the mo also.

As for the TTRS......it's getting quicker lol and bags of fun with the noise to match.

Not hundred percent sure about the Toyo tyres, maybe I'm just hooked on Pirellis. Brakes are superb btw, and the steering gets better the faster you go, it is very direct at speed and plenty of feedback on the road........never been on a track with it.

The ride is figdety.........but does it leave me numb........nah!

But unlike Matt I'm not a font of all knowledge of all cars built by a manufacturer so without looking foolish, I'll comment on what I have actually experienced.
A bit uncalled for maybe?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 06:42 AM   #49
FPO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Driven alot of Audi's. Liked the TTS but not quick enough! S4 nice but slightly numb! Same with A5's! Loved R8 V8 and RS6 although didn't like the RS6 at slow speed!
Felt the same Carlos, I found the V10 RS6 to have a bit heavy steering at low speeds. It felt like you needed muscles like Rocky just to cope with any town driving.

However the power made up for it!

I still feel I got more feedback from the steering on my A3 than I do with my e92. I presume the RWD / RFT may be the cause of this, but the car feels like its bouncing along the road when you really give it the beans and any slight movements of the steering wheel make jack all difference to the direction, and this is after driving 10,000 miles in 4 months in it.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 10:13 AM   #50
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Hi mate, I found the RS6 crazily light steering at low speeds! And then hefty at high speed. Felt unnatural and not that nice!
      02-10-2011, 10:23 AM   #51
FPO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Hi mate, I found the RS6 crazily light steering at low speeds! And then hefty at high speed. Felt unnatural and not that nice!
Maybe im slightly mistaken then. I do remember mentioning to my father who was with me whilst test driving how heavy the steering was. I wouldnt have thought it would have bothered me at speed though as I like a car that feels planted.

Are you talking about the TT V8 or TT V10 RS6?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 10:29 AM   #52
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
R8 was fine as was the RS6 at speed, but it didn't feel connected. At at low speed it was rediculously light.
      02-10-2011, 10:55 AM   #53
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335diesel View Post
I was taking the mickey and being a tad sarcastic ............I'm female.

Quote:
I found the opposite to you Carl on a 2009 model RS6 I drove, my first thoughts were it was heavy steering like a Porsche unlike the S5 that has servotronic speed-related power steering which I always said was too light upto 35mph but thereafter became as it should be.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 12:28 PM   #54
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Helen - I saw no smileys. Important in declaration of sarcasm ;-)
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 12:47 PM   #55
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
I did a write up on it I think. Proper fast!!
      02-10-2011, 01:16 PM   #56
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Helen - I saw no smileys. Important in declaration of sarcasm ;-)
Blimey Sunday name also

What's the intended smiley at the end of your post?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 01:40 PM   #57
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I was being lazy.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 01:54 PM   #58
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I was being lazy.
Fair enough lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 06:36 PM   #59
Parbox
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1M

Ive gone from the S3 8L to e92 335i to e92 M3 to S3 8P to S5 Sportback which I have now.

The S3 8L was the one I that I loved the most (at the time of ownership) - but now looking at the results of the RS3 v M1 fight with great interest.

I can see another swap on the cards within the next year.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 07:01 PM   #60
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X70 on the way

Quote:
Bang on the money
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 02:24 AM   #61
jinjur
yes....spelt with J's
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 325D MSport

This is beautiful, I love the honesty of the OP about the run, sounds like a beaut.

I also love the 335d erectile society saying "oh, you must have been on meth, it didnt beat you, you are lying, hang yourself"

Lets face it guys.

Now sit down......all of you.

These days will happen, not every day mind you, but they WILL happen. When........now, *deep breaths*......you will get a bit of competition.....albeit because of you having TOO much power and poofy tyres.

I know I know........its hard, almost surreal to imagine......but there are other things on earth that move forwards and turn corners.

Now obviously, they are not going to deccimate you on the Nurburgring, but you will......get passed, occasionally.

I mean, I saw a 335d parked the other day, and a cyclist.......YES a fackin cyclist passed it. Its ok though because the 335d caught him at 100 mph.

IMO, and just IMO of course the running order for speed is as follows:

1. Light
2. Sound
3. A comet (any)
4. Clio (only mine)
5. Veyron
6. 335d (remapped)
7. 335d (not remapped)
8. 335d (in the wet)
9. 335d (in the wet on summer tyres)
10. A cheetah
11. Roadrunner *meep meep*
12. Everything else that has done or will ever move, including particulates from the Big Bang.

ROFL.

J
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 03:33 AM   #62
BIGTIME
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT - Mineral White

I love threads like this and the Clio one. When I had an Astra VXR I used to go on that forum. Loads of threads on there about VXR's getting spanked by 330i's etc followed by BMW's are rwd and much better with traction and handling. I come on here and it seems fwd is the best. You can't win
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 03:46 AM   #63
DrunkenMonkey
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e90 335ise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinjur View Post

1. Light
2. Sound
3. A comet (any)
4. Clio (only mine)
5. An otter
6. Veyron
7. 335d (remapped)
8. 335d (not remapped)
9. 335d (in the wet)
10. 335d (in the wet on summer tyres)
11. A cheetah
12. Roadrunner *meep meep*
13. Everything else that has done or will ever move, including particulates from the Big Bang.

ROFL.

J
edited for accuracy
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 04:46 AM   #64
jinjur
yes....spelt with J's
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenMonkey View Post
edited for accuracy
Thanks man, I have no idea what i was thinking forgetting the Ot.

J
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 05:19 AM   #65
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
An old lady in a wheelchair overtook me the other day when I was in the 335d.

A snowflake had fallen earlier that day.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 05:24 AM   #66
jinjur
yes....spelt with J's
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
An old lady in a wheelchair overtook me the other day when I was in the 335d.

A snowflake had fallen earlier that day.
Was she running winter tyres?
Appreciate 0