E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Thinking of going coilovers

07-13-2011, 07:21 AM   #1
Chefcg1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Thinking of going coilovers

I recently add the M3 front suspension bits (wishbone, tension links and M3 Strut Brace) to my 2008 e92 coupe with sport suspension and I still want more. The car is GREATLY improved, but would like it stiffer and tighter all the way around. I have been looking at Sonic tuning and KW v2. I want to stay under the $1500 price point and cheaper if possible, but I want to get something that I'm happy with. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
2008 335i coupe AW 6AT, RB Turbos, PROcede 2.5 V5, Alpina Flash, Injen Intake, VK MW DP . Helix IC, Vishnu PnP Meth(M10 nozzel), M3 sides, OEM Aero Lip, VMR V710 Midnight Blue, LUX H8, HID Fogs, M3 front bits, D2 Coilovers, Whiteline Rear Bushing inserts, Custom M3 Steering Wheel, Cyba scoops, M2 Performance Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 07:45 AM   #2
BBS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Does anybody know the actual rates that off-the-shelf kw's come with? Generally, dont they usually come with pretty horrendous rates? I remember in the evo world, we would swap the front springs to the rear and vice versa cause the stock rates were garbage.

I'd vote springs and konis over coilovers.
      07-13-2011, 12:17 PM   #3
Chefcg1
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBS View Post
Does anybody know the actual rates that off-the-shelf kw's come with? Generally, dont they usually come with pretty horrendous rates? I remember in the evo world, we would swap the front springs to the rear and vice versa cause the stock rates were garbage.

I'd vote springs and konis over coilovers.
you may be right and that may be the best way to go, but I would like to hear what the arguments are for either setup.
2008 335i coupe AW 6AT, RB Turbos, PROcede 2.5 V5, Alpina Flash, Injen Intake, VK MW DP . Helix IC, Vishnu PnP Meth(M10 nozzel), M3 sides, OEM Aero Lip, VMR V710 Midnight Blue, LUX H8, HID Fogs, M3 front bits, D2 Coilovers, Whiteline Rear Bushing inserts, Custom M3 Steering Wheel, Cyba scoops, M2 Performance Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 01:44 PM   #4
328skidpad
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi e350 Z4M X3 M40

I have gone to a few autocross events and thus driven many cars.

In short the cars with coilovers were much better balanced and dampening was noticeably better. the koni- hr combo cup kits were good also but coilovers definitely avoid the need to upgrade after 2-3 years as many people do with cup kits.

I recommend sonic tuning or KW v1's

I have Kw V1's and they are a huge improvement over oem sport suspension.

Do I look back and say ohh I should get the KW v2's because I can adjust the damper setting, no because the ride and feel is excellent with the K1's
good luck
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 01:48 PM   #5
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

I have Dinan Stage 3. It's expensive but it's fantastic. Ride quality is kinda shitty though; really busy. You need to get wider front tires if you go with Dinan. I think Harold@HPAutowerk has a good setup that doesn't require wider front tires.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 01:52 PM   #6
Chefcg1
Major
United_States
Rep

I run 245's up front now, so the wider tire is already addressed. I believe the sonic tuning CO's have user adjustable dampening?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 02:22 PM   #7
BBS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

If you go st or kw, make sure you get proper rates. They release coilovers with rates that promote safety (understeer.) This has been a common trend with most coilover manufacturers. Remember, if your budget is 1500, another set of hypercoil/eibach ers/swift springs will set you back 300-500.
      07-13-2011, 04:06 PM   #8
Chefcg1
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you go st or kw, make sure you get proper rates. They release coilovers with rates that promote safety (understeer.) This has been a common trend with most coilover manufacturers. Remember, if your budget is 1500, another set of hypercoil/eibach ers/swift springs will set you back 300-500.
i guess that is were i'm confused. It seems many members are fine with the spring rates on the KW's and ST units and then I read threads saying they are all wrong.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 04:20 PM   #9
BBS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The ones that say theyre great out of the box are usually so enamored by the ride comfort for a coilover, they think the rates are great for handling. In my experience, my stock evo handled worlds better than my kw v3's with wrong spring rates. The kw's rode worlds better than my stock evo, but the handling was out of the window. Spoke to some suspension gurus and realized that the rates are atrocious. Got new springs and the car was a monster!
      07-13-2011, 05:07 PM   #10
Chefcg1
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The ones that say theyre great out of the box are usually so enamored by the ride comfort for a coilover, they think the rates are great for handling. In my experience, my stock evo handled worlds better than my kw v3's with wrong spring rates. The kw's rode worlds better than my stock evo, but the handling was out of the window. Spoke to some suspension gurus and realized that the rates are atrocious. Got new springs and the car was a monster!
you are probable right with that assumption. I'll have to do some reaserch on spring rates.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 12:47 PM   #11
328skidpad
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi e350 Z4M X3 M40

love my kwv1 a proper alignment is needed to optimize the driving feel to minimize understeer
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 01:58 PM   #12
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A metal box with a roundel

Huh? So Dinan suspension ISN'T so fantastic then.....

How could you think the suspension is fantastic but the ride quality is shitty? What other fantastic qualities does the Dinan suspension have if the ride is shitty? I'm a bit confused......Not trying to be a DB.

Are you referring to the handling abilities as being fantastic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90pilot View Post
I have Dinan Stage 3. It's expensive but it's fantastic. Ride quality is kinda shitty though; really busy. You need to get wider front tires if you go with Dinan. I think Harold@HPAutowerk has a good setup that doesn't require wider front tires.

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 02:02 PM   #13
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A metal box with a roundel

For that price range, also look into Eibach Multi-link pro R1s.......I believe another forum member(mike-y) is running that setup right now. I think he also did a short review as well.........Search for that thread.

Those are DA and for the price, that's pretty darn good in my opinion. The ONLY reason why I didn't go with those is because I want the ease of adjusting my struts without jacking up the car or taking off the wheel......So I went with PSS10s, and two fingers is all I need to adjust the dampening on the struts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefcg1 View Post
I recently add the M3 front suspension bits (wishbone, tension links and M3 Strut Brace) to my 2008 e92 coupe with sport suspension and I still want more. The car is GREATLY improved, but would like it stiffer and tighter all the way around. I have been looking at Sonic tuning and KW v2. I want to stay under the $1500 price point and cheaper if possible, but I want to get something that I'm happy with. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 02:08 PM   #14
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmx_ryder View Post
Huh? So Dinan suspension ISN'T so fantastic then.....

How could you think the suspension is fantastic but the ride quality is shitty? What other fantastic qualities does the Dinan suspension have if the ride is shitty? I'm a bit confused......Not trying to be a DB.

Are you referring to the handling abilities as being fantastic?
Yes. And given that the stock ZSP ride quality is pretty bad as well, I love the Dinan suspension. When I bought it ride quality was not a priority.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0