E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > electronic sensor not correct?

06-21-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
mariahcarey
Rep
Drives: 2008 bmw 328i e92

electronic sensor not correct?

hey guys i just did an oil change.

i filled about 6 and 1/8th quarts of oil.
buut when i checked on my idrive oil sensor, it showed up as max!

i did not drain 100%
oil was still dripping down (very slowly) when i replaced the bolt underneath...
could that have accounted for half a quart of oil or more?

should i have let the oil drain 100%?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 05:06 PM   #2
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

It's in the old oil filter. There are also nooks and crannies of the oiling system that won't drain completely (oil filter housing is one of these). You could let that slow dripping go all day and still not get it out, so you did drain it 100%.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 09:31 PM   #3
mariahcarey
Rep

how much oil could that have accounted for?
more than half a quart?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 09:55 PM   #4
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Definitely. I wouldn't worry about your sensor too much, they have proven to be very reliable so far.

FWIW my n54 takes 6 quarts, each change I put a little over 5q in and it always reads full.

Last edited by PINeely; 06-21-2013 at 10:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 11:38 PM   #5
mariahcarey
Rep

dang, maybe i have overfilled in that case..
perhaps i should get a pump thing and get some oil out..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 06:21 AM   #6
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Okay, so hold up a sec. You don't have to do anything. You didn't properly refill the engine with the full 7 quarts of oil however. When you drain the oil from an N52, a few ounces will be left over in the oil filter housing. You'll see the oil sitting in the cavity once you remove the oil filter. That oil needs to be syphoned out (most people use a turkey baster). You didn't mention if you removed the oil in the filter housing, I'm assuming you did.

Once the oil is dripping or dribbling from the drain hole, you have drained all the oil from the engine that will come out unless the car is way off level (up on stands or ramps with enough room to slide under is not way off level).

What you did is tricked the oil level sensor. It may take a few days, but the CBS will eventually show the oil level is less than full. You need to understand that the oil level sensor is not a direct-reading device like a mechanical dipstick or some sort of float sensor. The oil level sensor is a set of concentric capacitance tubes (one inside the other) that measure the oil level (with the top part of the tube) and the oil quality (in the low part of the tube). The system when reset, expects that you have refilled the engine with 7 quarts of oil, so it will read full for the first few days until it takes several readings of the oil level and adjusts the reading reported to the CBS.

You can either wait until you get a low oil level reading and add the oil, or just now add in the remaining 7/8th of the quart you left out. Changing the oil in an N52 is not like changing the oil in a car with a mechanical dipstick, where you add most of the oil in, run the engine, let it sit for a few minutes and then top off using the (direct-reading ) dipstick. The N52 oil change procedure is, drain the engine, remove the oil filter, remove the residual oil from the housing, then refill with a full 7 quarts of oil.
Appreciate 0