E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > iPOD Problems ???

05-09-2007, 07:35 AM   #1
baddabing
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 30sd

Garage List
Unhappy iPOD Problems ???

I have the ipod interface fitted non idrive type and I am having a problem.When I go to select the ipod via the CDC button it comes back with the message error insert mag. This is the second time for this to happen, first time it sorted itself out straight away but this time no such luck

Anyone with ideas ??
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2007, 08:12 AM   #2
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddabing View Post
I have the ipod interface fitted non idrive type and I am having a problem.When I go to select the ipod via the CDC button it comes back with the message error insert mag. This is the second time for this to happen, first time it sorted itself out straight away but this time no such luck

Anyone with ideas ??
Are you using the special BMW cable? I don't have the ipod connection unfortunately, but from what I have read I believe that the functionality is limited unless you have this.

It seems that it stops the ipod switching modes and allows the car to browse the ipod structure.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2007, 10:32 AM   #3
baddabing
Private
Ireland
Rep

Garage List
Yes got the BMW original parts interface dealer installed.When it is working it gives full control via steering wheel buttons and is a great bit of kit. Maybe its a software bug so it might mean a trip to the dealership....................!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2007, 07:39 PM   #4
simnew
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i GranCoupe MSport

No the problem is with your IPOD. Make sure you reboot it and it should be fine again.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2007, 07:40 PM   #5
simnew
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i GranCoupe MSport

Sometimes if you leave the IPOD in the car a long time and the battery really runs down, it doesn't even have enough juice to boot up properly and connect to the BMW system. Charge it in a dock for a short while and reboot it and then you should find it will be ok
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2007, 06:48 AM   #6
baddabing
Private
Ireland
Rep

Garage List
Smile

Thanks for the replys guys.. Funny thing is that it is working again so on the basis of what Simnew suggested I think I will take the iPod out and give it a charge and reboot. Its amazing how we get used to having all that music at our fingertips when driving
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2007, 08:06 AM   #7
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the replys guys.. Funny thing is that it is working again so on the basis of what Simnew suggested I think I will take the iPod out and give it a charge and reboot. Its amazing how we get used to having all that music at our fingertips when driving
Have you got it set to auto switch off?

Mine switches itself of even when it's hooked up to the car via base connector to aux in.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2007, 10:17 AM   #8
baddabing
Private
Ireland
Rep

Garage List
hi again,
with the interface iPod is always on afaik, because it is in the glovebox I dont have it in sight at all times. Iwill try Simnews tips and see if it helps.

Happy Driving.

p.s just reading Autocars article on 335d
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2007, 11:10 AM   #9
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
hi again,
with the interface iPod is always on afaik, because it is in the glovebox I dont have it in sight at all times. Iwill try Simnews tips and see if it helps.

Happy Driving.

p.s just reading Autocars article on 335d
It should be always on if the car is on and it's charging the ipod, but with my aux in connection once the car is switched off the ipod goes back to stand alone mode and switches itself to standby after a few minutes.

That way it never full discharges.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2007, 06:14 PM   #10
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 s30i

Garage List
Hey --- I have been reading this thread due to an issue I have been having with my ipod in my E93 with Nav / iDrive and 6FL. I have had the car for 2 weeks and all has been fine until last evening.

First off - it is a 30GB photo iPod 5th generation. It is 2 months old. I got it about 6 weeks prior to getting the car with the intention of only using it in the car. When I received it I fully charged it and then setup ITunes software and downbloaded about 300 albums to it from my digital library. Again all worked fine at that time.

When I received the car I plugged it in with the 6fl cable set (brick and cables for aux and USB connections). The car found it immediately when I went to aux and it worked fine for the past 2 weeks.

Last night I took the iPod out of the car to update the device name and to modify the album / songs loaded on it to make them a bit easier to find. When I turned it on (before I connected it to the PC) I immediately got a dead battery indication and the device would not start up. As someone said earlier I left it charging for a few minutes then did a reset and it came up fine. After I turned it off I connected it to the PC and everythoing was fine. I did my updates etc. and left it plugged in overnight and this AM had a fully charged indication.

I then took it out and plugged it into the car and it would not come up. "Low battery indication" on the iPod display. I did several iPod resets and then finally got to the point where it would come on. I then turned it on and plugged it in. After a few seconds it worked fine again.

During the day today I made several trips with the car and 2 of 6 times I restarted the car the iPod would not come on. Again - low battery indication each timne. After futzing with it it worked again each time.

When I got home I decided to leave the iPod outside the glove box to see if if it operated correctly when the car was turned off. On all but 1 ocassion I found that after 90 seconds the car reemoved power form the iPod (flashing charge indicator demonstrates this) and after an additional 120 seconds the iPod went to sleep (off). On one ocassion the iPod did NOT GO TO SLEEP and although the backlight went off the iPod was STILLL ON AND STAYED ON.

There has been no time in the last 2 weeks where the car has sat idle for more than 1 day.

Here is the question - is the issue with my iPod or the 6fl adapter ?? I just ordered a new iPod battery.

Thoughts ??

M3 GTR - 1/5 scale - 4.2 HP w/ Collari hydraulic brakes - would you believe ~80 MPH on straightaway !!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 09:41 AM   #11
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msimon18 View Post
Hey --- I have been reading this thread due to an issue I have been having with my ipod in my E93 with Nav / iDrive and 6FL. I have had the car for 2 weeks and all has been fine until last evening.

First off - it is a 30GB photo iPod 5th generation. It is 2 months old. I got it about 6 weeks prior to getting the car with the intention of only using it in the car. When I received it I fully charged it and then setup ITunes software and downbloaded about 300 albums to it from my digital library. Again all worked fine at that time.

When I received the car I plugged it in with the 6fl cable set (brick and cables for aux and USB connections). The car found it immediately when I went to aux and it worked fine for the past 2 weeks.

Last night I took the iPod out of the car to update the device name and to modify the album / songs loaded on it to make them a bit easier to find. When I turned it on (before I connected it to the PC) I immediately got a dead battery indication and the device would not start up. As someone said earlier I left it charging for a few minutes then did a reset and it came up fine. After I turned it off I connected it to the PC and everythoing was fine. I did my updates etc. and left it plugged in overnight and this AM had a fully charged indication.

I then took it out and plugged it into the car and it would not come up. "Low battery indication" on the iPod display. I did several iPod resets and then finally got to the point where it would come on. I then turned it on and plugged it in. After a few seconds it worked fine again.

During the day today I made several trips with the car and 2 of 6 times I restarted the car the iPod would not come on. Again - low battery indication each timne. After futzing with it it worked again each time.

When I got home I decided to leave the iPod outside the glove box to see if if it operated correctly when the car was turned off. On all but 1 ocassion I found that after 90 seconds the car reemoved power form the iPod (flashing charge indicator demonstrates this) and after an additional 120 seconds the iPod went to sleep (off). On one ocassion the iPod did NOT GO TO SLEEP and although the backlight went off the iPod was STILLL ON AND STAYED ON.

There has been no time in the last 2 weeks where the car has sat idle for more than 1 day.

Here is the question - is the issue with my iPod or the 6fl adapter ?? I just ordered a new iPod battery.

Thoughts ??
Presume you have the ipod set go to sleep (it is on the system menus somewhere).

I think it's more likely to be a car problem, but the test you did would not always prove effective.

The car doesn't always go straight into sleep mode itself.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 10:25 AM   #12
baddabing
Private
Ireland
Rep

Garage List
My iPod has been working fine since my last post on the subject. I know I need to do an update on the pc for the iPod but I am kind of wary to do so. Will give it a go over the next day or so and fingers crossed ot will continue to work properly.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 10:58 AM   #13
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

Presumably those nice people from BMW provide you with an iPod cable when you specify the 6FL option.....
Appreciate 0