E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Cornering mystery

10-07-2016, 09:57 AM   #1
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

Cornering mystery

Hey everyone!

Got a weird one for you. I have noticed that when cornering on a round about I'm hearing what sounds a lot like rubbing of the wheel in the wheel arch. The thing is that it pulses relative to the speed I'm traveling at. It's not a continuous rubb which is strange. Slow speed (20 mph) there is no noise at all. At around 30 mph I hear the noise about every half second. Faster speed creates faster pulsing noise. This straight away makes me think it's related to the wheel.

I recently had my front pads swapped and it's possible that the noise is coming from the front right wheel but bouncing off the seat belt pillar behind me making me think it's at the back. I hear it on the right side when the window is down. I've not asked anyone to list on the left but I don't hear anything on the left when turning left. Of course we don't have round abouts going left but I tried a long left turn in an empty car park. My disk rotars are slotted and drilled but I'dd expect a gradual build up of the noise.

At first I wondered about a bad wheel bearing. I plan to jack the car up and test the wheels by hand this weekend. Maybe there's some unwanted play which occurs when cornering.
Car seems fine in a straight line at all speeds and turning left. However I have toyo proxy R888s on right now and what I think is tyre noise could be bearings. I doubt it though because as I say I get a different and specific noise when cornering right at certain speeds. Shallow turns don't seem to produce the noise either. Needs to be a fairly tight turn to do it.

The other thing I wondered is if this could be down to active breaking in cornering assistance and the electronically emulated differential. Applying the brake to the inside wheel.

Any suggestions guys?

My dash cam may have captured it. I will take a look and see if I can post a video.

Thanks
GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, DCT, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.79@119mph (stock turbos)
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 04:22 PM   #2
ram33
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 335d

checked the spring?
i saw one the other day where a broken spring had nearly rubbed through the tyre but only touched it on corners
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2016, 02:35 PM   #3
Tinsta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1CSL

Hmm.. interesting..

Which version of the R888s do you have? As the older r888s V tread shape do have a wanning sound at speed, quite noisy.

Does it happen with the DTC half off/off modes? Is your car lowered? Have you checked tyre pressures are even across the axles?
      10-18-2016, 04:29 AM   #4
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsta View Post
Hmm.. interesting..

Which version of the R888s do you have? As the older r888s V tread shape do have a wanning sound at speed, quite noisy.

Does it happen with the DTC half off/off modes? Is your car lowered? Have you checked tyre pressures are even across the axles?
I've now switched to my other set of Pilot super sports tyres with the weather getting crap. They do it as well. Visually everything looks good. Had a look when the wheels were off. I'm a bit perplexed.

Yes it happens in all traction control modes. On, off, half off.
GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, DCT, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.79@119mph (stock turbos)
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 08:31 AM   #5
Tinsta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1CSL

Could it be the brake disc shielding catching ever so slightly? See if you can check the inside of the discs...
      10-18-2016, 08:57 AM   #6
larrysing
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport, Nav/Blinds

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Notice this on both of my E90 335d cars. Worse when turning left, for some reason. If anyone finds out what it is, please PM me !!! Thanks much !!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 04:36 AM   #7
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

It's quite possibly the brakes acting on the inside wheel to emulate a lsd and possibly brake assisted cornering. Possibly as my newer whhels have a greater offset and sit further out in the wheel arch it just became more audible.
Appreciate 0