E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Aftermarket Parking Sensors?

05-19-2010, 04:18 AM   #1
nottsE90
Private
Rep
Drives: E90

Aftermarket Parking Sensors?

Any of you guys fitted these? if so do they work ok?

Any recommeded companies for this?

cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 04:40 AM   #2
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

I fitted a set to a Golf GTI a few years back. There are loads of mega cheap sensors on Ebay but I read too much about cheap ones giving trouble. also some looked ugly. In the end I went for Steelmate buying directly from the manufacturers website. Cost about £70 for a 4 sensor rear setup but there are loads of options of ones with in car screens etc. Really small neat sensor, they claim they are used as original equipment by many manufacturers and always worked really well. Easy to fit once you get brave and drill the bumper !
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 05:19 AM   #3
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
I have fitted some with little success in reliability compared to the OEM ones.

My missus C5 already had the cutout in the back bumper so bought a set off ebay for about £50. Easy to fit and wire in but used to bleep even when reversing off the drive with nothing behind.

Ditched those and got a proper Citroen set for about £100. Again they fitted in the cut-outs in the bumper and were a little better than the ebay jobbies but still pretty crap at picking up posts etc. OK when your reversing up to a wall but thats about it IMO. There is adjustment pots for sensitivity, etc.. but if you adjust them so they pick up smaller objects (such as posts, etc..) they then bleep as soon as you select reverse!

Back off the sensitivity so they work well when backing up against the garage door and then they won't pick up the smaller objects.

I personally wouldn't recommend from my 2 experiences but Davy seems to have had better luck with his.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 07:21 AM   #4
davyk31
Major General
Rep

Don't think mine had any adjustment in sensitivity, they were just fit and go. Is crucial though that you don't fit them too low on the bumper, too low and they pick up the ground as an object. are instructions with the kit though.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 08:07 AM   #5
nottsE90
Private
Rep

thanks for the feedback guys. ive had a look on the steelmate site and think i'll be happy with the PTS400 kit. this kit doesnt include a display but to be honest i dont think i'll need one as i'll be listening out for the beeps or do you guys recommend a get a display?

http://www.steel-mate.co.uk/acatalog...nsors.html#a15
PTS400
4 Sensor Rear Only Kit No Display Just Audible Tones
Click Here For More Information.
£50.70

I also found this site who will supply and fit the PTS400 kit for £132 all in:
http://www.proparkuk.com/rear_parking_sensors.html

I know its £80 more for them to fit it but im not the best at car diy so i think i'll leave it to the experts.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 08:11 AM   #6
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
Don't think mine had any adjustment in sensitivity, they were just fit and go. Is crucial though that you don't fit them too low on the bumper, too low and they pick up the ground as an object. are instructions with the kit though.
The Citroen ones are fitted quite low in the bumper but I worked on the assumption that as Citroen fit them there if ordered from the factory (I just removed the blanking plugs) then they would be OK.

The back end of the car is quite high anyway but I do think that is the problem on the C5. Car goes back in a few months anyway so not too worried. Make sure I spec the next car with 'em factory fitted I think!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 08:27 AM   #7
daz205
Rep
Drives: 335d

can you get the front sensors retrofitted to an E92?
if so anyone got any idea of cost?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 10:22 AM   #8
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nottsE90 View Post
thanks for the feedback guys. ive had a look on the steelmate site and think i'll be happy with the PTS400 kit. this kit doesnt include a display but to be honest i dont think i'll need one as i'll be listening out for the beeps or do you guys recommend a get a display?

http://www.steel-mate.co.uk/acatalog...nsors.html#a15
PTS400
4 Sensor Rear Only Kit No Display Just Audible Tones
Click Here For More Information.
£50.70

I also found this site who will supply and fit the PTS400 kit for £132 all in:
http://www.proparkuk.com/rear_parking_sensors.html

I know its £80 more for them to fit it but im not the best at car diy so i think i'll leave it to the experts.
The PPUK400 kit they have on the web site is exactly the same one I got and fitted from ebay - utter garbarge!

The one your looking at is defo a different model and seems pretty good value fitted
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 10:55 AM   #9
nottsE90
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-FAST View Post
The PPUK400 kit they have on the web site is exactly the same one I got and fitted from ebay - utter garbarge!

The one your looking at is defo a different model and seems pretty good value fitted
yeah hopefully it'll be better, if you look at the top of the page they've done a quick break down of the different brands and they state that the ppuk is entry level and pts steel mate range are the best ones:

Not sure which reverse parking sensors to choose. Well here's a brief guide to help you make your mind up, All parking sensor kits sold by us are of high quality just that some are better than others. All kits come with 1 year labour warranty (PPUK fully fitted products only) & 1 year parts warranty unless shown otherwise in the item description.

PPUK Branded Parking sensors are a budget / entry level parking sensor system. Design with cost in mind for those who thought parking sensors were all too expensive.

SUPER Branded front & rear parking sensors are a entry/mid range parking sensor system with a difference making them unique with real talking human voice.

CKO Branded parking sensors are a mid range parking sensor system which are closer to factory OEM looking systems & have a adjustable detection range.

Valeo branded parking sensors are a premium range parking sensor simular in quality to OEM equipment and are used by some of todays manufacturers.

Steelmate* Branded parking sensors are the flagship of all parking sensors. Which no other parking sensors can match. If you want the best for your vehicle then buy Steelmate.

*Steelmate PTSD1 are a mid range parking sensor.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 10:58 AM   #10
nottsE90
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz205 View Post
can you get the front sensors retrofitted to an E92?
if so anyone got any idea of cost?
Hi mate, have a look around this link, it should give you an idea of how much it'll cost. going by what i've read today the steel mate pts range are the best brand to go for.

http://www.proparkuk.com/front_parking_sensors.html

Steelmate PTSF400 Front Park Assist Fully Fitted - £149.99
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 05:02 PM   #11
daz205
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottsE90 View Post
Hi mate, have a look around this link, it should give you an idea of how much it'll cost. going by what i've read today the steel mate pts range are the best brand to go for.

http://www.proparkuk.com/front_parking_sensors.html

Steelmate PTSF400 Front Park Assist Fully Fitted - £149.99
Would these link into the sat nav screen and give the radar view the same as the oem rear sensors or would they be a stand alone solution ?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 03:31 AM   #12
nottsE90
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz205 View Post
Would these link into the sat nav screen and give the radar view the same as the oem rear sensors or would they be a stand alone solution ?
To be honest mate i dont know but im guessing the ones in the link will be a stand alone solution, i think you'll have to go to a bmw main dealer if your after a fully integrated oem setup.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 01:02 PM   #13
lesfinnie
Panzer
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 335d SE

Garage List
2007 335d se  [0.00]
The back end of the car is quite high anyway but I do think that is the problem on the C5. Car goes back in a few months anyway so not too worried. Make sure I spec the next car with 'em factory fitted I think![/QUOTE]

I had a C5 with them fitted as standard and had no problem with them they had a good range of pick up for posts and smal objects etc. It was a MK1 C5 so only audible beeps no screen like the newer one
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 02:22 PM   #14
davyk31
Major General
Rep

Def go for Steelmate, anything cheap is garbage and will only give hassle.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 05:14 AM   #15
Statler
Major Pain in the Arse
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320D M Sport

I've fitted about 6 of these kits over the years and they work well

http://www.bakerleisure.co.uk/page2.html

The 4 sensor kit is the best one. Beep and distance readout.

Steve
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 10:27 PM   #16
Eyhre
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E46

I have installed a parking sensor kit in my car and it is working perfect.
My whole parking sensor system contains: a rear view mirror, backup camera(pasted on my license plate), and 4 sensors are fitted on my rear bumper. I did not try for aftermarket parking sensor before, ever seen my friends did a DIY aftermarket sensor, seems not bad, and the work function is in good condition.You may have a reference from:http://www.espow.com/wholesale-car-e...g-sensors.html
My friends added a OEM parking sensor with several other items..It can be done with all OEM parts..The replacement bumper inserts with parkting sensors come Pre Painted from Mercedes..NO need to paint.

Last edited by Eyhre; 08-10-2010 at 10:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 03:22 PM   #17
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

Just fitted a Dolphin system, quick and easy took about 3 hours on a B-CLASS. Came with everything you needed. Including drill bit. Best thing is when you take the bumper off it shoudl havemarkers where the factory units woudl go it. So you just drilla small pilot through from the inside and then drill again from the outside to get a clean cut on paintwork.
Makes whole job much easier then measuring and trying to find where to mount them. I have checkd this and my E90 had them on front bumper so rear woudl do as well. The merc had them front and rear.
      08-11-2010, 05:28 PM   #18
makammo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 330e

Anyone used parking dynamics?

I keep hearing rave reviews about them?

No holes in the bumper, just a electromagnetic strip or radar reflector strip or some shit. Supposed to be much more accurate and pick up anything regardless of size as long as it's behind the strip (excluding the floor obv)...

Seems a little expensive though

http://www.parkingdynamics.co.uk/
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 04:48 AM   #19
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F10 550 Xdrive Msport

Bump, has anyone used the parking dynamics strip? Positive or negative comments? I want to put some sort of backup warning unit in my 2008 328xi Sedan...

Mike
Appreciate 0