E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Looking for advice...

09-15-2014, 03:21 PM   #23
Ess
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d

S2000 looks sweet Goose

I'd never owned an auto before my 335D although had driven plenty. I didn't think I'd like it but I have now come to prefer it for the BMW diesels. All the BMW diesels I've driven, regardless of Series and MY, seem to transmit a huuuge amount of vibration through the gear stick. It's so crazy it seems like a defect, but apparently they all do it...? The brand spanking new 318d the dealer lent me as a courtesy car a few months ago also did it - I couldn't believe it. Feels like a rougher version of a phone vibrating. Then again, some members here say theirs don't do it, so it's strange

If I went for a petrol, I'd go manual all the way. For the diesels, I prefer the auto. It seems to work better with the way the engine delivers the power, in my opinion. You still get the paddles too, remember!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 04:11 PM   #24
GooseF1
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 325D N57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ess View Post
S2000 looks sweet Goose

I'd never owned an auto before my 335D although had driven plenty. I didn't think I'd like it but I have now come to prefer it for the BMW diesels. All the BMW diesels I've driven, regardless of Series and MY, seem to transmit a huuuge amount of vibration through the gear stick. It's so crazy it seems like a defect, but apparently they all do it...? The brand spanking new 318d the dealer lent me as a courtesy car a few months ago also did it - I couldn't believe it. Feels like a rougher version of a phone vibrating. Then again, some members here say theirs don't do it, so it's strange

If I went for a petrol, I'd go manual all the way. For the diesels, I prefer the auto. It seems to work better with the way the engine delivers the power, in my opinion. You still get the paddles too, remember!
Thanks for that.

So is it the m-sport versions that have the paddle shifts?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 04:27 PM   #25
Ess
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooseF1 View Post
Thanks for that.

So is it the m-sport versions that have the paddle shifts?
I think all 335d have paddles as standard. Hopefully someone can confirm, as I'm not sure.

My car is poverty-spec and has literally no options, but it does have paddles. Hence my guess above!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 04:30 PM   #26
GooseF1
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ess View Post
I think all 335d have paddles as standard. Hopefully someone can confirm, as I'm not sure.

My car is poverty-spec and has literally no options, but it does have paddles. Hence my guess above!
Sounds like the best of both worlds! Auto to waft about then paddles to be a loon
How is the paddle shift? Good system? It is a 'sport' mode then? Button on the dash or something?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 04:58 PM   #27
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AzuriteBlack 335i E92

Did you ever consider going the turbo route? I've seen a few mental videos of turboed s2ks

I love the 2JZ supra engine swaps. Insane drag machines!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 01:15 AM   #28
GooseF1
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1a1h View Post
Did you ever consider going the turbo route? I've seen a few mental videos of turboed s2ks

I love the 2JZ supra engine swaps. Insane drag machines!
I have considered it but if I was going to throw more money at it I'd need another car ( I used to have a mk4 golf turbo) so it can be in bits and it wouldn't matter.
Is also not go down the forced induction route due to the nature the nature of the car. I don't think you an ever best the throttle response of an NA car , especially one that revs to 9k! So it have ITBs, aftermarket management etc and spend a lot of time on overhauling the chassis.

You are right though, lots of mental power S2Ks on S2Ki that I've seen. One guy has a 700bhp turbo beast!
Appreciate 0