E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > koni yellows

06-24-2015, 08:56 PM   #23
phubar
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
Very cool. So you don't even jack the car up and take the wheel off? If not were there any issues getting all the hardware re-seated right and re-assembled?

The hardest part (and it isn't that hard) about the way I've been doing it is getting the rod poked up into the hole in the unibody and lower half mount aligned and seated correctly as the shock rod expands up from gas pressure. With an allen extension on top that could be done from within the car a lot easier.
Correct, I don't even jack the car up. I did run into an issue one time where I was rushing and careless and let the upper half slip into the frame skin inside the wheel well... it was a PITA to recover it from that abyss in there. Ended up using a digital bore-scope and a grabbing tool. That's another reason you need to have some finesse, if you are not careful and drop anything in that area its gonna take a lot of effort to fish it back out.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 08:58 PM   #24
phubar
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'll be installing polyurethane mounts this weekend, I'll try to make a video while I'm at it.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 06:05 AM   #25
tkong
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 2011 space gray

Thanks guys for all the feedback. I was really leaning towards the tc kline rear adjustable koni sports, but after reading phubar's method of adjusting the rear normal koni sports, I think I'll just invest the extra money for the tools.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 06:11 AM   #26
tkong
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 2011 space gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by phubar View Post
I'll be installing polyurethane mounts this weekend, I'll try to make a video while I'm at it.
by any chance, did you get a video?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 09:07 PM   #27
phubar
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I wasn't able to get a video since I had to rush last minute. I did take some pics to give you a better idea. Keep in mind I only removed the tire since I was replacing the shock mount, for just adjusting the shock firmness I wouldn't recommend it at all since it was actually harder to get the shock piston back in its place, since the camber arm was at a different angle than the natural resting position.

PS: I have an e93 so I need the extra 6" extension to comfortably clear the hard top mechanism. E90 and E92 can't use the extension and won't need it anyways.

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 2
      07-03-2015, 11:57 AM   #28
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Much respect Phubar! I saw you other post on the mounts. Awesome find!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 04:19 PM   #29
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Also want to note, the round ball type end on that allen segment going into the top of the shock rod is probably important. Those rods are treated and very brittle. Very strong in compression and extension but not so much in torsion or lateral bending. IOW you can break them off super easy, having a bit of swivel when pressing down there is good.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 10:23 AM   #30
phubar
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post

Also want to note, the round ball type end on that allen segment going into the top of the shock rod is probably important. Those rods are treated and very brittle. Very strong in compression and extension but not so much in torsion or lateral bending. IOW you can break them off super easy, having a bit of swivel when pressing down there is good.
I see your point but the piston only moves vertically straight down with the vehicle on the ground, there should be no lateral movement unless your lower mount is worn out. The problem with using a ball end allen key is if used incorrectly (not seated all the way in) it WILL strip the piston hex.
Appreciate 0