E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Broken Tab in Coolant Reservoir

04-05-2013, 12:11 PM   #1
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Broken Tab in Coolant Reservoir

Hey guys,

I went to check my coolant level today for the first time, when I went to put the cap back on I noticed the instruction "Turn cap until click" but there was no click. On closer examination I found the tab the cap should be 'clicking' on is broken. I'm still under warranty & going in Monday for the battery cable recall so I'll see if they can just replace the reservoir. The problem is I'm heading out on a long trip (350ish km one way) and leaving in a few hours.

So will the missing tab be an issue? I can fabricate a temporary one pretty quick if I need to, but I don't want the dealer pointing it out and going "well there's your problem, we wont cover that."

Also I'm guessing the arrows on the reservoir and cap should be lining up? When I turn the cap tight now the arrow on the cap is about 1/3 turn past the arrow on the reservoir, is this too tight? If I line up the arrows there is about a 1/16" gap between them. The manual basically just says "turn cap until there is an audible click"

Thanks

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 07:49 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinz View Post
Hey guys,

I went to check my coolant level today for the first time, when I went to put the cap back on I noticed the instruction "Turn cap until click" but there was no click. On closer examination I found the tab the cap should be 'clicking' on is broken. I'm still under warranty & going in Monday for the battery cable recall so I'll see if they can just replace the reservoir. The problem is I'm heading out on a long trip (350ish km one way) and leaving in a few hours.

So will the missing tab be an issue? I can fabricate a temporary one pretty quick if I need to, but I don't want the dealer pointing it out and going "well there's your problem, we wont cover that."

Also I'm guessing the arrows on the reservoir and cap should be lining up? When I turn the cap tight now the arrow on the cap is about 1/3 turn past the arrow on the reservoir, is this too tight? If I line up the arrows there is about a 1/16" gap between them. The manual basically just says "turn cap until there is an audible click"

Thanks
As long as the cap is tight and the arrows are near each other, you'll be okay. The click is there to let you know you have screwed the cap down far enough that the arrows should be lined up when the cap is fully closed. You are over think it too much.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #3
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Awesome thank you!

Appreciate 0