E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Urgent help

08-11-2013, 02:07 AM   #1
LEVz_
P PLATER
Australia
Rep
Drives: Ex E92 325i Owner

Urgent help

hey guys, i have the base stereo in my e92..
I've wired up and amp for a sub i'm adding to the trunk. I have now spliced the passenger under seat woofer and ran audio cable to the amp but i have a problem. When connected and the volume is turned up the whole system cuts out and doesn't turn back on unless i disconnect and reconnect the battery.

Do i need to tap into both passenger and driver side woofers? And how should i get the cable to go from exposed wire on the woofer side to RCAs on the amplifier side?

Thanks, LEVz
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Privious threads on here say

Don't tap the woofers for a sub. Tap the front channels.

Somewhere there is thread on here called the "Ultimate sub thread"

On the base stereo it may not make a difference since the Fronts
and the under seats are wired in parallel.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...t=Ultimate+Sub
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 09:38 AM   #3
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

First of all, you are using a speaker level signal so your amp must be able to accept/handle such a signal. Check your amp manual.

Second, you should use both front and left side signals for the input. This is not essential, but helpful. If your amp cannot handle speaker level inputs, you must use a line output converter.

Also, make sure you are not applying too much bass boost through the OEM head unit, as the signal will become distorted and/or the input of the amp will clip. Do the boosting at the amp.