E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > iPod control - how does it work?

12-02-2008, 11:30 AM   #1
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep
Drives: fast, sometimes slow

iPod control - how does it work?

Hi all,

I'm a little bit confused re: iPod control. I have a 2008 335xi with Premium Sound. The dealer kept talking about USB and iPod integration being part of the system. Is that true? Or do I need a separate adapter of some sort to control the iPod from my steering wheel? I tried plugging in an iPhone 3G and it didn't seem to do much. Maybe I need a real iPod?

Thanks!

-pN

Last edited by Pseudo Nim; 12-03-2008 at 05:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2008, 10:27 PM   #2
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep
Drives: fast, sometimes slow

Anyone?
      12-03-2008, 10:38 PM   #3
IRL-MN
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 | E30 | E28 | E24

If you have the 6FL option from the factory (ie the USB connector in the armrest) then I believe you should have full iPod control through the radio & steering wheel controls. My car did not have this option, so I had the iPod interface installed at the dealer where you end up with a cable running into the glovebox where you connect the iPod. This interface should also give you full iPod control.

Now when I had the interface installed in my E90 a couple years ago, it did not work initially - it did not recognize the iPod was connected. I took the car back to the dealer and they had to update the car's software. Once that was done I never had a problem.

Hope this helps a little...
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 01:20 AM   #4
enforcerman
The Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 328i MSport

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
As I understand the 6FL, you need a special cable. I have the retrofit ipod connector so I'm not 100% sure.
Blacked out Kidney Grill || Bluetooth Retrofit || Ipod Retrofit || Rear Power Outlets || Euro Switch || Blacklines
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 11:24 AM   #5
cpippolo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

I have the same car with the same sound system. You have to use the special Ipod cable, which actually has two connections, one into the bottom of your IPOD that controls the ipod and transmits the data, and another that attaches to the headphone port and transmits the sound. I was very unhappy with this approach because the Ipod has poor sound quality, and its really obvious when you crank it up on the car stereo. I wound up buying a USB drive and copying my music onto that. It sounds much better. However, I think if you have enabled your Ipod to be seen as a hard disk, you can transmit the musc digitally without conencting to the headphone port. However, I think you lose some functionality. It basically looks at the Ipod as a USB drive.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 01:06 PM   #6
nj-daddy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

I also have 2008 335xi. I don't have premium sound, but I do have the USB interface. When I bought it came with an iPod/iPhone connector cable that ONLY has the piece that connects to the bottom of the iPod or iPhone. It has no piece that connects to the headphone ouput portion of the iPhone/iPod. The cable works and I'm able to control the iPod/iPhone with my stereo buttons and steering wheel buttons. The music also plays just fine through this cable. The ONLY issue that I have is as I'm driving the iPod/iPhone goes offline and I have to hit "Menu" button on my stereo and choose the iPod again to get it back online.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2009, 10:17 PM   #7
manuelpolaco
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 335i 2009

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
I have a 335i non-idrive that came with ipod interface and the 6FL cable. It works the same with the ipod and the iphone. Using the radio I can look for songs by albums, playlist, artist, gender and etc. Also you can place in random mode. With the steering wheel only you can change tracks and do fast forward and rewind.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2009, 08:46 PM   #8
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
I have the 6FL but elected not to spend the $67 on the Y-cable. An iPod-to-USB cable works just as well for me albeit rather long. I have full functionality with the iPod through the iDrive knob and the arrowed buttons on the steering wheel.

With the Y-cable the 3mm plug goes into the AUX port on the car, not in the earphone jack of the iPod.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0