E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Shifter Assembly Problem Fix

11-25-2016, 05:28 PM   #89
bimspiration09
Rep
Drives: N54 335xi

My sport and manual modes are back!! Like I expected, pulled the center console off and 6 of my 8 wires were completed severed, with the other 2 very close.

My father and I spent about 4 hours on it together. Took the center console (with iDrive) off, unscrewed the 3 bolts holding down the shift assembly, and was able to easily access the wires after pulling off the side molding that was keeping it together. Ended up twisting the wires back together, doing some small solders, some heat shrink overtop, and then wrapping it all together with tape to make sure.

Saved me tons of money and really wasn't that difficult. All you need is some time and patience. I'm going to post some pictures when I get some more time. Thank you everyone for your help!

Picture of the Broken Wires (6 of 8 broken; other 2 hanging on by a thread):

Wrapping Them Up:

Last edited by bimspiration09; 11-30-2016 at 11:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 11:52 AM   #90
bimspiration09
Rep

I'm throwing this out there - I'd really like to create a DIY video from start to finish (I have other, non-BMW related DIY channels that are a part time job for me).

If anybody within a decent distance of Cincinnati is struggling with this fix and wants me to take a look at it, please let me know. You'll be compensating me just by letting me produce a video from start to finish
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 12:24 PM   #91
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommiexboi View Post
Hello All,

I completely forgot I even wrote this DIY! I'm glad myDIY helped you guys fix this dumb issue!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 11:25 PM   #92
hjs1971
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 x5m, 2012 m6 convertible

Had to do mine a month ago, any update if BMW will eventually do a recall? If so, can we get reimbursed?
      01-29-2017, 10:52 PM   #93
SJM67
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335I Coupe

Garage List
1995 BMW 318I  [0.00]
2008 BMW 335I  [0.00]
Thumbs up DS loss DIY fix

just did this fix yesterday as i lost DS a week ago...pretty straightforward only took 1 hour from start to finish.... only white wire was severed..all other wires were intact.only drawback was i DIDN'T get that last torx screw on the bottom of solenoid cover on...so i left it off...don't think it will be an issue.

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 08:31 AM   #94
bmwfixr
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Followup note:

After driving the car for several thousand more miles, the hard downshift from 3rd to 2nd/1st appears to have softened significantly. It no longer exists in sport mode at all. Prior to the fix, I was considering replacement the solenoids (about $750) but that appears to be no longer necessary. Hooray for a cheap fix.
      02-14-2017, 11:27 PM   #95
yupetc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 X535i

Great DIY! Thanks, surely fixed my DS mode problem.

In regards to "Engage position P before leaving vehicle" issue, please read below:

After the wiring fix, you may encounter the said error code above along with a gearbox/exclamation sign in the dash. The issue arises the moment you pry out the shifter wires you're trying to fix from the solenoid wall pinch location. What happened is if you pry too much, in order to gain room to get that awkward wire bundle out, on the end of the solenoid stick, there's a slot where it's being driven by the metal rod. That rod moves when you move the shifter out of park into other positions. But there's an inclided metallic clip which when you return the shifter rod to park position, it's supposed to push the inclined clip up and push the "red/white" dotted plastic switch. That switch is how the computer knows you put it into park. Unfortunately, when you pry the solenoid to get to the shifter wire fix, you may have bent the rod out of the slot, and even when you realign it back in place, you could have missed the inclined metal clip. If this is your case, then just take the parking switch "little black plastic box where the red/white plastic dot is" and re-align the clip so that the shifter rod will drive it and click the switch again.

Sorry for the long explanation, but this may save you guys hundreds by not buying the entire assembly.

--
Pete
Appreciate 3
      04-10-2017, 02:49 PM   #96
Fractolier
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Great thread and thanks to original poster. I was nervous to solder as my white wire broke very close 1.25" from the grommet into the shifter assembly and not knowing what it was connected to, sensitive sensor, etc., and being short on time, I chose to use butt connectors. Not my best work for sure but I got all functionality back. That being said, I'd like to go back in and solder/shrinkwrap extensions into each wire. Is the general consensus that soldering is safe? I ask for no guarantees, just that no one who did solder ran into any issues resulting from it. Thanks again for all of the great input. --Chuck
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 04:02 PM   #97
bimspiration09
Rep

Checking back in. Everything still working well after a few months. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 07:56 AM   #98
ATLIEN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 335i & 11 M3 ZCP

Count me in for another successful sport mode repair. My shifter had completely severed 3 wires and the remaining 4 or so were frayed. I spliced the 3 wires and put a light amount of solder on them, wrapped with electrical tape and am back to normal!!! It took me about an hour or so and was the easiest diy of them all.
      09-18-2017, 06:46 PM   #99
ayyy
Lame Stance Dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: FBO Bagged 08 E92 335xi (V2)

Thanks to everyone that has shared information about this DIY. I had the usual "car won't accept DS mode but will shift manually with paddles until it randomly pops back into drive. no light on the shifter to signify DS mode." followed instructions and found that the white wire was completely cut through. rest of the wires were beginning to cut through the insulation but I wasn't worried about that yet. Pried the solenoid out just enough to slip the wire bundle out and properly reconnected the white wire.

The only thing that seemed to happen with me that I didn't read elsewhere is the lack of play the shifter assembly had with the 3 T30 screws remove. Sure it wobbled a bit, but not NEARLY enough to stick my detachable torx head kit into those T9/T10 screws. I resorted to using a TINY hex key to remove the lower T9/T10 screws while prying the assembly up and to the left as much as I could.

Still, all is well now and car shifts into DS mode no problem. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 06:59 PM   #100
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayyy View Post
Thanks to everyone that has shared information about this DIY. I had the usual "car won't accept DS mode but will shift manually with paddles until it randomly pops back into drive. no light on the shifter to signify DS mode." followed instructions and found that the white wire was completely cut through. rest of the wires were beginning to cut through the insulation but I wasn't worried about that yet. Pried the solenoid out just enough to slip the wire bundle out and properly reconnected the white wire.

The only thing that seemed to happen with me that I didn't read elsewhere is the lack of play the shifter assembly had with the 3 T30 screws remove. Sure it wobbled a bit, but not NEARLY enough to stick my detachable torx head kit into those T9/T10 screws. I resorted to using a TINY hex key to remove the lower T9/T10 screws while prying the assembly up and to the left as much as I could.

Still, all is well now and car shifts into DS mode no problem. Thanks again!
great to know... this happened to my in 2012. Fixed it thanks to this thread...
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 12:35 PM   #101
mantis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Garage List
2011 e90  [5.50]
just got quoted 14072 dollars to fix this issue, glad i knew about the issue from this very thread, i told them i could fix it for nothing. also filing this issue with the recalls department at my dealership, i will be linking this thread to them to show how long this issues has been troubling owners, as well as the obvious design flaws
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 11:18 AM   #102
Jedi_Romeo
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e90 335i n54

Also just fixed this issue

I had the no sport mode and no lights on "D" and not recognising "DS".
My broken wires were yellow,white,purple. I have repaired and all is good.
Appreciate 1
GoRomeo936.50
      08-12-2018, 04:20 AM   #103
mantis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Garage List
2011 e90  [5.50]
did this repair today, didn't use any extra wire just twisted each wire together and put both into the same side of a red butt connector, works perfect. I did get an error of a gear with an exclamation mark inside, come to find this is the lock out solenoid causing that, it was not engaging when in park. so some wiggling freed it up and you could see it snap back into place, just gets bound a lil when prying it off to free up the blue clipped wire. oh and all my wire were cut but the red one, love having DS back
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2022, 12:36 AM   #104
gapotter
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i (e90 N51)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yupetc View Post

In regards to "Engage position P before leaving vehicle" issue, please read below:

After the wiring fix, you may encounter the said error code above along with a gearbox/exclamation sign in the dash. The issue arises the moment you pry out the shifter wires you're trying to fix from the solenoid wall pinch location. What happened is if you pry too much, in order to gain room to get that awkward wire bundle out, on the end of the solenoid stick, there's a slot where it's being driven by the metal rod. That rod moves when you move the shifter out of park into other positions. But there's an inclided metallic clip which when you return the shifter rod to park position, it's supposed to push the inclined clip up and push the "red/white" dotted plastic switch. That switch is how the computer knows you put it into park. Unfortunately, when you pry the solenoid to get to the shifter wire fix, you may have bent the rod out of the slot, and even when you realign it back in place, you could have missed the inclined metal clip. If this is your case, then just take the parking switch "little black plastic box where the red/white plastic dot is" and re-align the clip so that the shifter rod will drive it and click the switch again.

Sorry for the long explanation, but this may save you guys hundreds by not buying the entire assembly.

--
Pete
Found this thread while looking for a related problem. I think I need to clean this parking switch as my e90 isn't making good contact. The Park indicator is sometimes dull orange like it's not fully engaged or switched.

It is/was preventing my car from going to sleep. It finally shuts off power to the transmission after an hour (Thanks KL 30G)

Thank you for your explanation, 5 years ago, Pete!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2022, 12:48 AM   #105
gapotter
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i (e90 N51)

Found a DIY repair video if this helps!
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2022, 06:11 PM   #106
yomismo
Rep
Drives: f34

Thank you so much
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2023, 09:18 PM   #107
pardeapriete
Registered
Spain
Rep
Drives: 335d 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by yupetc View Post

--
Pete
Exxaaaactamente, es usted muy observador👍👍
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 09:14 AM   #108
yupetc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 X535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pardeapriete View Post
Exxaaaactamente, es usted muy observador👍👍