E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Exhaust Leak? Found & fixed one but still smells.

12-04-2017, 02:21 PM   #1
nissubaru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i MSport + 1990 300ZX TT

Exhaust Leak? Found & fixed one but still smells.

I bought my car with catless dp's on but had to swap them back to stock a few months ago to take in for inspection. Somehow neither myself nor the shop doing the inspection noticed anything because my car was fine for at least a month or two before finally developing an exhaust/gassy smell in the cabin. I replaced my microfilter thinking maybe it was just old but the smell persisted.

The other day I jacked the car up and started it to find a had a massive exhaust leak where the downpipe meets the exhaust, realized I forgot a gasket during the previous install. Replaced the gasket and fixed the leak at the dp connection, but could still smell exhaust somewhere in the engine bay. I couldn't see where though which is what prompted me to make this post.

I checked the v-bands and they are both on nice and tight so I don't think they are the problem. The connections at the downpipe and exhaust are sealed up nicely. Only other thing I can think of is maybe the exhaust smell is leaking out from the rear turbo because I have relocated inlets & the silicone elbow is popping off the turbo leaving a bit of a gap on the intake side I tried fixing this as best as I could but it was covered in oil and just wouldn't stay put.

Any ideas as to where the smell is coming from?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 10:22 AM   #2
nissubaru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i MSport + 1990 300ZX TT

Nobody has any ideas where I might be getting an exhaust or fuel leak smell from if not the v-bands or the downpipe connections? Would it make sense if my rear turbo inlet is hanging loose a bit that it could leak exhaust smell into the engine bay?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 10:32 AM   #3
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissubaru View Post
Would it make sense if my rear turbo inlet is hanging loose a bit that it could leak exhaust smell into the engine bay?
How do you figure?

This could be exhaust related, but could also very well not be.

If the shop forgot the gaskets that mate with the exhaust, they may have forgot the gaskets that mate with the manifold.

Once the car warms up, do you still get a smell? Is it the same smell or different?

Any injector work done recently? If you take off your oil cap when the car is cold, does the oil smell like fuel?

Etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 01:57 PM   #4
MysticRob
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nissubaru View Post
Nobody has any ideas where I might be getting an exhaust or fuel leak smell from if not the v-bands or the downpipe connections? Would it make sense if my rear turbo inlet is hanging loose a bit that it could leak exhaust smell into the engine bay?
Ask yourself how a loose turbo inlet could possibly cause an exhaust smell. Is the turbo bad? Obviously the work you and/or the shop did is suspect so start over and recheck everything. Your posts don't make it clear which DPs are on it now. Catted or not now?