E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Do you let your wife drive your car? If no why not?

06-22-2015, 11:38 AM   #45
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

I do let the fiance drive now and again but those days will be over after the wedding.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 11:48 AM   #46
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

It's interesting reading the different views and opinions here. Sad that people are quick to judge or insult but nonetheless interesting. May be this thread should be locked or allowed to die if it brings out the worse in people or my original post be continued to be misconstrued.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 09:57 AM   #47
EddyC01
Rep
Drives: Looking for an E93 335i

Oh simple, she's American so doesn't have a clue how to drive a manual or on this side of the road for that matter!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 11:00 AM   #48
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

Most men are just better at some things than most women and vice versa...

TBH I wouldn't let 99.9% of people drive my car.
GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, DCT, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.79@119mph (stock turbos)
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 05:09 AM   #49
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

This was in an article in the economist last week.

https://churchmousec.wordpress.com/2...-not-to-drive/

Not based on women being bad drivers, just on the religious views of the roles of men and women.
GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, DCT, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.79@119mph (stock turbos)
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 05:08 AM   #50
Brian mc21
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E91 320d M Sport

I let her drive mine whenever she wants. She doesn't really want to that often though as she has a focus rs and a corsa runabout which she uses the most. I have complete faith in her as she would feel the same way about kerbing a wheel as I would.
RVF400
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 04:35 PM   #51
Boz335i
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

My Mrs drove my 335i once and managed to mount a kerb and drive into a hedge while adjusting the aircon for her mum.

There is no way she's going any where near my M3.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 04:43 PM   #52
AXS-7
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: A van

Wifey prefers driving her X5
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 10:10 AM   #53
imy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken_Gearbox View Post
It's interesting reading the different views and opinions here. Sad that people are quick to judge or insult but nonetheless interesting. May be this thread should be locked or allowed to die if it brings out the worse in people or my original post be continued to be misconstrued.
Some of the views do come across quite strongly don't they?

Dude I know what your saying, been with my Mrs since 22 (7yrs) but friends before then. I drover her every where for the best part of 8yrs. Then she passed her test and I am the worst passenger. When she brakes late I always put my foot down in the passenger seat even though there is no brake!!!
But I get it, she enjoys driving and in fairness she bought my 335i as an early 30th so wth can I do?!
Shes a good driver in fairness, drove X5 before the 335i and she has her own car too so I don't have a problem with it - the only problem is that I want to drive the 335i and not be the passenger!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 12:21 PM   #54
Shaun69
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d

Hell no, I like me wheels.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 06:20 AM   #55
Sportplus
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 318i M Sport E91

Just read every post and some remarks are a joke and some are funny.

I've had the same conversation with my OH when she wanted to sell her car and use mine as I don't drive it through the week. My problem was the state of her mini which had dents all round it from reversing into walls, ploughing into tow bar (she managed to brake just in time not hit the car attached to the tow bar) and other bits and bobs that cost me a few hundred to get fixed as her excuse was "I don't know anything about cars, you deal with it babes"

Do I really want to increase my insurance costs or have to shell out every couple of month to fix dents and alloys due to her not giving a toss??

She won and sold the mini and has been driving my car for the past 3 months

so far I need to repair an alloy and sort the front bumper that she caught on the kerb

And that's her taking care

Last edited by Sportplus; 07-14-2015 at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 08:43 AM   #56
-paul
Rep
Drives: E92 N54 335i SE

Just read this thread and some of the comments and views regarding their wives are absolutely hilarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Wish my wife would drive my car. I'm sick of always driving us everywhere.

She won't drive automatics, "too complicated".

Another reason to get a manual car next...

I'm the complete opposite. Part of me wishes I went for automatic as my fiancée is a good driver but can cause 'clunkyness' when engaging and disengaging the clutch when changing gears, so I was thinking driving an auto would be easier for her... and the car lol.

Having said that she's not bothered about driving but does on the odd occasion.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 07:36 AM   #57
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X70 on the way

Currently single but all my ex's (and my 70 year old mum) are or were on my insurance to drive my cars.

Currently a X5 40D, 600+BHP GTR. I have no issues with them driving it. To be honest most didn't want to drive the GTR until eventually persuaded and then they realised how easy it was to drive. They just didn't like how noisy and uncomfortable it was. And also it's pretty big so took a bit of getting used to. But give me the keys to someone else's GTR or Porsche or Aston and i wouldn't want to drive it either. Just wouldn't enjoy it.

Saying that my ex's have all be 10+ year drivers. I'd be a bit more concerned with giving a driver with 1 year's experience a big power car (the X5 > 300bhp).

When i had my hand op 2 years ago she drove the X5 all the way to Donegal and i got to chill, eat and sleep. I enjoyed it. Plus she knew the roads far better than i ever will being from that part of the world so it was actually better.

When we went to Silverstone last year for the GT3 race she drove half the way but got bored and decided sleeping was more fun. Plus she didn't enjoy all the people who want to race and follow you to get photos etc.

As for kerbed wheels etc. I do that. It annoys the fek out of me on a fresh wheel. But once it's done i try to remember there are people getting the shit bombed out of them all around the world. A Kerbed wheel is insignificant. There are more important things in life. For me at least. I appreciate for some keep their car (or anything) pristine is important. Each to their own.

Whoever the future ex-MrS3 is...she'll get to drive my cars too.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 04:57 AM   #58
OGM2LCI
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E87 M2 LCI

Let my Mrs drive my car once while I was napping in the passenger seat after a late drive. Woke up to blue lights being pulled over by police and as she pulled over very nearly smacked a curb at 25mph, not just a little tickle either, it would've been a belter...thankfully I grabbed the wheel to avoid it. This bothered me alot due to having 19" MV4's which would suffer badly due to being so big and I worry about cracking alloys a lot.

It's also not common place to find a 'new' curb mark or scrape on her car. Granted she's used to a Mini Cooper S and going to an E92 is a noticable size difference but that doesn't make me feel comfortable that I will let her drive it to find that the wheels are potentially trashed and it'd be down to me to pay for a refurb.

Another common trait (for many women I have noticed) is taking handbags in the drivers side with them and scratching the drivers rear quarter with said bag as they pass it in the car. Her Mini drivers rear quarter is scratched to f*ck just back of the door from this...again I personally wouldn't be happy knowing that would be happening to my car.

Also the pulling over was due to an illegal personal plate on the rear left on by the previous owner that we were in the process of removing...not her driving

I should also possibly add that I too hate being a passenger in anyones car apart from my dads, and would also struggle to feel comfortable having anyone else drive my car apart from him.

Last edited by OGM2LCI; 07-21-2015 at 05:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 08:20 AM   #59
BMWSHL
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 2006 330i, 6MT, Black

Get a manual next time. Problem solved. Mine is a stick and she refuses to learn, so no problem there, but she does bitch from time to time about it.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 08:32 AM   #60
imy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M140i

Almost everyone who drives in the UK knows how to drive a manual so that wouldnt solve the problem.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 12:56 PM   #61
erchie84
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92

It's only a car ....
Appreciate 0